300 BLK - What am I missing? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 05:54 AM

300 BLK - What am I missing?

After doing much research, I bought a Wilson 14.7 inch 300 BLK upper and installed it. Guns are like sail boats, design is a compromise. But this set up is the nicest purchase I have had since I bought a Dan Wesson 8 inch under lug revolver for open sight 100 yard shooting, many years ago.

Yet, almost all of the pre-purchase internet advice is that this is the not the right use of the cartridge, the gun is fairly unreliable in subsonic, ammunition is overpriced and there is no decent self defense subsonic ammunition, and this is the wrong set up, period, end of story.

First, after 380 rounds of 190 to 200 grain, the Wilson is completely reliable with subsonics. It works 100 percent on supers, too. My experience is that if a gun is prone to choke, it tends to do so right away.

What I have found also is that Sellier and Bellot ammunition is fairly cheap for target shooting, all the subsonics tried are very accurate, and, there are now some subsonic self defense rounds that have been newly introduced. One has now come out from Hornady.

You do not have to mount a 4x scope because the subsonics start to drop like a rock after 150 yards, unless you want to go to the 110 grain Barnes supersonics, but then you can get a magnifier. A short carbine is super light and very maneuverable with a mid-mounted fore grip. In a longer barrel, a subsonic 300 BLK is very quiet and has almost no recoil or muzzle flip.

You also have lots of options with the ability to go supersonic with the 110 grain bullets. If you want barrier penetration, the 200 grain FMJs hit like a truck, but I don't know why you would need this.

Is this anybody else's experience? Has Wilson built a better mouse trap or is this just a one off experience.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM

I have a buddy with a 14.5" upper he built himself that runs like a red assed baboon. I'm sure the Wilson is much nicer but ARs tend to work well no matter who built them.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 AM

300 BLK - What am I missing?

My 9” BCM blackout has been extremely reliable and very accurate.

It functions just fine with subs, but I’ve only shot them to test function. I’m not a fan of subsonic rifle ammo.

Better mouse trap? I dunno bout that. Getting the correct barrel length, gas length, port size, and buffer weight is what makes a 5.56/300 B.O. run.

With BO your shooting a 5.56 case that’s been blown out to shoot 30 cal bullets, which in turn leads to the high reliability.

I’m actually kind of shocked the “internet” says they are not reliable. Unfortunately most subject matter experts don’t spend a lot of time on the internet due to the Mount Everest amount of stupidity espoused online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM

In my experience running 220gr subs through a suppressor W/8" barrel, ther drop like a rock past 75.

They have similar mass and velocity to a 45 ACP +P round.

Now I just picked up a Sig MCX Rattler with a 5.5" barrel but I plan on shooting that with 12Xgr super's, they have some SD good rounds in higher velocity ammo.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:37 AM

I love 300 BO personally. It was a round built to suppress out of short barrel rifles.

I have a 8” 300 BO SBR and with a can and subs it is just crazy quiet and I like shooting without hearing protection. Thing about subs in any caliber, the drop in them is pretty drastic at range, but this round was designed to be a cqb round. But the benefit is if you need to engage at longer distances, you swap the subs with supers and gain the range needed to engage targets.

I’ve never personally had an issue with any reliability in mine. Most of the issues with the round is magazine issues due to the varied sizes of the projectiles and the ribs inside pmags can cause feeding issues. This has been corrected by MagPul by releasing a 300 specific PMag or using the Wilson Lancer mags that they have modified (this is what I use in mine).

I don’t recommend a 5.56 in anything shorter than an 11.5” based on the ballistics and a lot of research and testing (have relationships with several AR Manufacturers, military, LEOs, etc). Suppressed 8” 5.56 rifles have a lot more work and tuning issues to get them to run correctly suppressed, hence the 300.

But for def Defense, it still hits with more force than a 45 with subs at 50 meters. More than enough for self defense.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adian View Post

I don’t recommend a 5.56 in anything shorter than an 11.5” based on the ballistics and a lot of research and testing (have relationships with several AR Manufacturers, military, LEOs, etc). Suppressed 8” 5.56 rifles have a lot more work and tuning issues to get them to run correctly suppressed, hence the 300.

Thread drift

10.3” piston guns are extremely reliable (they’ve killed a lot of people ), I agree no DI guns under 11.5” but....

I greatly prefer 12.5 guns.

You shouldn’t run a Surefire Mini SOCOM on the 11.5, but you can on a 12.5.

So a 11.5 with Surefire SOCOM vs 12.5 with Mini SOCOM is the same OAL but with 125fps velocity increase over the 11.5.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
Thread drift

10.3” piston guns are extremely reliable (they’ve killed a lot of people ), I agree no DI guns under 11.5” but....

I greatly prefer 12.5 guns.

You shouldn’t run a Surefire Mini SOCOM on the 11.5, but you can on a 12.5.

So a 11.5 with Surefire SOCOM vs 12.5 with Mini SOCOM is the same OAL but with 125fps velocity increase over the 11.5.

Yea but when you get into pistons you get into proprietary parts and front end heavier. Then throw a can, MAWL and light on it and they just start getting to the point they don’t balance well. Ounces are pounds when you are carrying a full combat load and the accompanying gear

I enjoy my personal LWRCs, they run very clean, but I was never issued a piston rifle. Maybe some day that will change as things advance.

I prefer hearing safe if I’m gonna run a can on an SBR personally. A mini of any can just doesn’t make the juice worth the squeeze with a 5.56 sbr.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
In my experience running 220gr subs through a suppressor W/8" barrel, ther drop like a rock past 75.

They have similar mass and velocity to a 45 ACP +P round.

Now I just picked up a Sig MCX Rattler with a 5.5" barrel but I plan on shooting that with 12Xgr super's, they have some SD good rounds in higher velocity ammo.
Yes, as to drop depending on where you zero.

I ran a ballistic calculator for a 190 grain Hornady subsonic zeroed at 50 yards. It had a 52 inch drop at 200 yards. A 100 yard zero gave a 37 inch drop at 200, if I got the input right.

Curiously, the momentum of these bullets is so high that the round did not lose much energy on its flight out to 200.

Yes, also that you just go to the supersonic rounds if you want to go past short/medium range.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adian View Post
Yea but when you get into pistons you get into proprietary parts and front end heavier. Then throw a can, MAWL and light on it and they just start getting to the point they don’t balance well. Ounces are pounds when you are carrying a full combat load and the accompanying gear

I enjoy my personal LWRCs, they run very clean, but I was never issued a piston rifle. Maybe some day that will change as things advance.

I prefer hearing safe if I’m gonna run a can on an SBR personally. A mini of any can just doesn’t make the juice worth the squeeze with a 5.56 sbr.

Cans inside of a house are a must when working with teams in my opinion. Nothing inside a house is hearing safe (worth using).

We have thousands of rounds through the SF SOCOM cans. I’m a believer.

Back to the OP

300 Black is a fun round, I shoot deer and pigs with them (supersonic). I’ve had good luck with the Barnes 110. Stick with supersonic for anything serious. There’s no use for subs when trying to stop heart beats.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 PM

I have an 11.5inch 300 BO SBR and it's just a ton of fun. It runs 100% either with suppressed subs or Hornady 125's going 2150 fps or so.

Haven't shot any deer with it but have killed a couple nice hogs with the 125 Supers.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:49 PM

IMO 300 blkout is the rifle caliber of the future. I am very impressed with it. I only shoot supersonic and for range ammo have been using Magtech 124gr FMJ at $23.99 per 50 which is not cost prohibitive. My ARP is an 8 inch with a Aimpoint T2.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky one View Post
IMO 300 blkout is the rifle caliber of the future. I am very impressed with it. I only shoot supersonic and for range ammo have been using Magtech 124gr FMJ at $23.99 per 50 which is not cost prohibitive. My ARP is an 8 inch with a Aimpoint T2.
Nice Wilson pistol. Thanks for the pricing tip on the Magtech.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Nice. My .300 is one I hacked together myself and its gas port and buffer is setup entirely for supersonic use.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-22-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
Nice Wilson pistol. Thanks for the pricing tip on the Magtech.
Ammoseek.com is our friend !
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Ammoseek.com is our friend !
Amen!