USPSA - Single Stack Cartridge/Pistol Selection - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 05:12 PM

USPSA - Single Stack Cartridge/Pistol Selection

Looking to starting USPSA in Single Stack. Would you go to a 40 S&W 1911 or shoot major power factor loads through a 9MM? If go with 40 & do not have a lot of cash, which pistols? TIA!
Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Looking to starting USPSA in Single Stack. Would you go to a 40 S&W 1911 or shoot major power factor loads through a 9MM? If go with 40 & do not have a lot of cash, which pistols? TIA!

9mm is only allowed in major for open division. 40 would be the only caliber that you could shoot minor with 10rd mags or major with 8rd mags.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSanchez View Post
9mm is only allowed in major for open division. 40 would be the only caliber that you could shoot minor with 10rd mags or major with 8rd mags.
I wondered about that after posting - thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSanchez View Post
This is true.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 AM

Shooting USPSA and the Single Stack gun division

It may depend on the local area where you live, but in the state of FL, USPSA shooters are more predominant in the Open and Limited gun divisions.....there just aren't that many Single Stack or Limited 10 shooters in my area.....

The most predominant type of gun used in Open and Limited is a double stack gun, and STI and SV guns are quite popular.

I think it would be a better option to get a Limited gun, and if you can not afford an STI/SV, you may want to consider a Rock Island HC Ultra .40.....

http://armscor.com/firearms/ria/pro-...ultra-hc-40sw/

Mags are about half the retai price of STI 2011 mags, and the gun should be good to go right out of the box.....the retail should be less than $1,000 at most local gun shops.

If you have more money to spend, the CZ guns and/or a used STI Edge might be a good option.....
Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 AM

Also 40 brass is alot cheaper than 45....so if you're thinking you want to get into USPSA more than a couple times a year it'll pay in the long run to go 40.

Also "if" you get the Match Bug bad and want to pick up a Limited Gun...you're already loading 40.

I have a STI SS in 40.

These are kinda hard to find but occasionally a used Trojan pops up on Brian Enos.

And 40 Single Stacks aren't finicky like the 9mm version and you get Major scoring.

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 05-14-2018, 10:42 AM

Not sure what the op's experience level is, but you'll learn more and faster by shooting SS minor. You'll probably also do better in most matches that aren't specifically designed to punish minor.

If you're determined to shoot major, and you don't already have a bunch of 45 stuff, 40 makes more sense.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM

Ha , Just clicked on Brian Enos and theres a Sig 40 SS for sale ...$850

Three mags come with it.

So you'll need 4 more.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...elite-1911-40/

May have to be a BE forum member to see the post.....

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 05-14-2018, 03:06 PM

.40 brass is cheaper than .45? I had no idea.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM
More Cowbell...

Get a solid 40 single stack and shoot it.

I shot Single Stack for a couple seasons and had fun.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Have you shot USPSA competition at all or is this completely new to you?

Do you have any kind of Full size semi auto handgun now?

Whats your budget?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
.40 brass is cheaper than .45? I had no idea.

Yeah it is in the Pacific NW.

General public doesnt use it much so our local brass guy gets it with all the rest of the range brass and sells it to the USPSA guys for pretty good deal.

I think most of it is LEO practice brass.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM

If you want to tinker with the gun (mag catch) and mags... get a 40sw.

If you don't... get a 45acp.

Advantages of 40sw (in my opinion are) same caliber as your limited gun (if you shoot limited), cheaper brass to reload, faster recoil that 45acp, the magazines are more reinforced on the lips so they don't spread stick as much as 45acp, most 40sw/10mm mags are 9rd so you don't need to barney up, and seating 8rds in a 9-10rd mag is easier than seating 8rds in an 8rd mag.

If you like those advantages and don't mind having to play with mag feed lips, followers, or mag catches... get a 40sw. I've had four 1911s in 40sw, they all ran 100% after I tweaked minor things... never seen this issue in 45acp.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:43 AM

top 4 shooters at area 1 championshiops last weekend shot minor.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:39 PM

I'm shooting SS minor with a 9mm Range Officer. Lots of fun.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 05-28-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
It may depend on the local area where you live, but in the state of FL, USPSA shooters are more predominant in the Open and Limited gun divisions.....there just aren't that many Single Stack or Limited 10 shooters in my area.....

The most predominant type of gun used in Open and Limited is a double stack gun, and STI and SV guns are quite popular.

I think it would be a better option to get a Limited gun, and if you can not afford an STI/SV, you may want to consider a Rock Island HC Ultra .40.....

Mags are about half the retai price of STI 2011 mags, and the gun should be good to go right out of the box.....the retail should be less than $1,000 at most local gun shops.

If you have more money to spend, the CZ guns and/or a used STI Edge might be a good option.....
RIA's 40 Rock Ultra has a bull barrel & not legal for USPSA SS.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:14 AM

I think you misread my post....

I didn't say the Rock Island .40 high cap should be used for the single stack gun division of USPSA, I said it might be better to own a Limited Division gun, since the area where I live has very few shooters that participate in the USPSA single stack or the Limited 10 gun divisions. I suggested the high capacity Rock Island .40 for the USPSA Limited division, and yes, I know it has a bull barrel......

Other parts of the country may have a lot more USPSA shooters using a single stack gun in that division, but the majority of shooters in my area shoot in the Limited or Open divisions.......
Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Don't mean to hijack the OP's thread but I came here for the same question. I'd like to shoot major with a 1911 and wondering what I can get away with. I'm thinking about either a Sig Tacops in .45 or 10mm or a Springfield TRP in same calibers.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa Jim View Post
Also 40 brass is alot cheaper than 45....so if you're thinking you want to get into USPSA more than a couple times a year it'll pay in the long run to go 40.

Also "if" you get the Match Bug bad and want to pick up a Limited Gun...you're already loading 40.

I have a STI SS in 40.

These are kinda hard to find but occasionally a used Trojan pops up on Brian Enos.

And 40 Single Stacks aren't finicky like the 9mm version and you get Major scoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motosapiens View Post
Not sure what the op's experience level is, but you'll learn more and faster by shooting SS minor. You'll probably also do better in most matches that aren't specifically designed to punish minor.

If you're determined to shoot major, and you don't already have a bunch of 45 stuff, 40 makes more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Get a solid 40 single stack and shoot it.

I shot Single Stack for a couple seasons and had fun.
x4 +1

If you already have a 45 shoot that in SS. If you don't, then for USPSA seriously consider 40 to shoot SS and/or a doublestack 40 for Limited.
Trojan 40 is a perfect suggestion for SS and is my top bang-for-the-buck pick, but there are others.
If you decide to try Limited, I'd hunt down a nice used STI, CZ or consider a RIA HC Match (mags plus a few upgrades).

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 09-18-2018, 02:14 PM

Check out the Dan Wesson’s excellent shooters
Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 PM

I've been very happy with my SA loaded (stainless). 10,000+ rounds through it now and not a single gun related failure. Had one or two magazine related issues, none since switching to Tripp Cobra magazines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4215.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	537036
Old 09-18-2018, 08:22 PM

If you're set on a 1911, just get a 9 and you can shoot it in USPSA Single Stack and IDPA ESP divisions. Buying OR hand loading 9 is cheaper and they're fun to shoot.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM

You can shoot major or minor with a 40.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM

I enjoy shooting the 9mm in single stack.
Life just seems easier.
use same load as my production and carry optics guns.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM

what load in .45 acp makes major power factor?