Wilson Combat Coating Selection - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 02:47 AM

Wilson Combat Coating Selection

Hello guys, sorry if this topic feeling like beating the dead horse but I couldn't get the answers I am looking for through searching that is why I am trying to see if I can get an answer.

So, finally I would like to own a 1911 that is REAL nice. Since I am in Arkansas, I want to own Wilson Combat brand to support Razorbacks Being in my town, no where to get a WC to look at so I kind of need to order one myself. I was debating CQB vs X-Tac, good thing that I am done deciding. X-Tac it is.

Few month ago I got my Dan Wesson Valor. Because I didn't read instruction carefully, I have shockingly ruined the finish by using typical aerosol CLP product. So now I am trying to understand more about coating before any purchase decisions.

From what I have read, CQB come stock with Armor tough Coating. X-Tac do not. Unless request for it. Is WC's standard non-armor tough coating is an advance cerakote?

So my questions are:
1. Can consumer visually tell the difference between Armor tough vs WC Standard coating? (If so, Can you help share image of the difference?)

2. Armor tough or WC standard coating, are they as sensitive as DW Duty Treat when comes to cleaning product?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:18 AM

Thanks for your interest. Almost all the guns we build are Armor-Tuff or Stainless steel.

The X-Tac is usually built in black Armor Tuff even though the "standard" finish is Parkerized which is not a coating but more of a phosphate deposition process from an acid bath. We rarely build one Parkerized but offered it at a lower price than Armor Tuff for people who were budget conscious. Turns out almost everyone orders AT at a $100 upcharge.

Armor Tuff is oblivious to cleaning products.
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:34 AM

Armor Tuff is essentially a Wilson tweaked form of cerokote over a parkerized base finish. It is a good finish and is solvent blind and wont cloud like your DW did but it also wont be close to as wear resistant as you DW is. Like anything else it is a give and take you gain something you lose something. Both excellent finishes with their own advantages and disadvantages. I personally prefer a Nitride finish like you DW has over a spray bake like Armortuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 07:19 AM

^^^Both of these guys have it right.

One word of advice, if you do go the Nitride or Duty Treat route, make sure you have your gun configured the exact way that you want it because it will not be as easy to refinish a gun that has already been nitrided. That is one advantage of the spray and bake style finishes.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 AM

I have never had a issue with the Armor-Tuff coating. I have it on 1911's and Ar's from WC. I also like that WC will let you mix the colors like Black over Gray.

With that said, my next WC will be blued with polished slides. Some great pics out there to look at.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't compare Armor Tuff to Cerakote. It seems to me that Armor Tuff is more of a Teflon based coating than a Ceramic based coating. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from handling them vs. Cerakote guns.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:38 AM

I thought AT was applied over Parkerizing.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I thought AT was applied over Parkerizing.
On carbon steel guns it is; not on stainless or aluminum.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Well, you can't Parkerize stainless or aluminum, blasting will have to do.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Parkerize or Armor tough can average consumer distinguish them easily?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:30 PM

I have had one of the Parkerized XTac's come through my shop and I gotta say, it was the nicest, smoothest parkerizing job I had ever seen. Really smooth for park.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Armortuff is very very good at it's job in my opinion, yes it does scratch easier than nitride but if you have a steel gun with the park base it is extremely durable and practically impervious to corrosion. It is very similar to high temp cure cerakote that some of my other guns have and it is my perfered finish after some (continuing) issues I have with a nitrided gun.

It protects the guns very well in heavy use and doesn't have the annoyances that come with full temp nitriding plus refinishing is possible and cheap.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=871274

Take a look here and decide if it protects well enough for what you intend to do with the gun.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 04-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
Parkerize or Armor tough can average consumer distinguish them easily?
Average consumer? To be precise, when you wrote consumer, you mean gun owner? If that is a yes, then I would say 3 out of 4 AVERAGE consumer don't even know what "armor tuff" is.

To the member of THIS WILSON sub forum, I would say 9 out of 10 would be able to distinguish the difference.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Yes, you can tell the difference.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnabolicWeaponSys View Post
I wouldn't compare Armor Tuff to Cerakote. It seems to me that Armor Tuff is more of a Teflon based coating than a Ceramic based coating. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get from handling them vs. Cerakote guns.

This.

Cerakote is more durable than Armor Tuff. I have 2 Cerakote 1911ís and have had many Armor Tuff guns. Definitely not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnabolicWeaponSys View Post
AT is ceramic based....

Its hard to compare finishes from two different companies since the surface prep can vary a lot. Type of media blast used, grit, base layer of phosphate etc

You can cerakote or gun kote two different guns with different pre-prep and they will look completely different
[email protected]
Old 04-16-2018, 02:12 PM

Does Wilson offer a finish on an aluminum frame that mimics stainless?
I like really like the look of all stainless, but want to build a 9mm with a lightweight frame.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigDog View Post
Does Wilson offer a finish on an aluminum frame that mimics stainless?
I like really like the look of all stainless, but want to build a 9mm with a lightweight frame.
There is a silver coating but we do not recommend it for anything but show guns. The lack of pigment can cause it to stain and flake. If you want a lightweight gun with a stainless look your best option is to find a gun you like and have Robar plate it with the NP3+ finish.
[email protected]
Old 04-22-2018, 04:25 PM

Is AT more a less like Beretta's Bruniton than a Cerakote?