Remington 1911 thoughts - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-30-2017, 11:50 PM

Remington 1911 thoughts

I know Remington has not got a good reputation these days with some of their rifles and then the R51 fiasco. What is the general consensus on their 1911 model pistols?
Old 10-01-2017, 12:45 AM

I bought the Gov model in black oxide, and I would buy another, someday most likely will after some other stuff. This pistol is my EDC piece and thus far I have been happy with it, but I feel there are some things worth mentioning. Bare in mind I am very picky, and these are my picks. Just remember while reading that I like this pistol enough to willingly buy another one, so Remington didn't screw up too bad. Their ammo though.... entirely different story for another day.

First off, plastic parts do not belong on a 1911...in my opinion. I'm sure many will agree with me on this. The flat mainspring housing is made of plastic, and I suspect the trigger is as well. The 'walnut' grips don't quite feel like wood to me but not quite like plastic, so I can't say for sure. I ditched the MSH for an aluminum arched one from Hogue and I feel it was worth every penny, although any MSH would work just fine.

The trigger I feel has way too much slop in it. Up and down travel is ridiculous and side to side is just OK. The trigger pull is as you'd expect from a factory line pistol. Short take up and an OK break, but certainly no glass rod. I highly recommend changing the trigger out, or having it changed depending on your skill level, including having the trigger tracks stoned.

I have noticed a spot of rust in the trigger guard, just above where the top of my finger would be if it were resting on the trigger. That kind of bothers me, but again this is my EDC pistol, so I'll let it slide.

I have also noticed that the finish is wearing off quickly, but, again, this pistol is holstered and unholstered several times a day, getting a break only when I'm asleep in my bed. I would have liked it to last longer, but I've decided that it's just a good excuse for me to get it blued at some point. The stainless steel version wouldn't have either of these issues, so that may be a consideration at some point.

Now, this is my BIGGEST gripe with the pistol and it drives me crazy. The enhanced versions do not have this issue.

The base model pistols use a PROPRIETARY dovetail cut. Very few manufacturers make sights that fit these cuts. I want tritium sights, and it appears Fusion Firearms sells what I want. If you plan on replacing the sights, either buy the enhanced model OR buy the SS base model and have the slide machined. No worries about metal refinishing, because SS. Or get the black oxide version and have it refinished when you're done. Your choice.
Needless to say, I have a few choice words for the person who allowed that to happen....

Now, I suppose I should say some things I like about the gun.

The slide-frame fit is very nice. It slides easy and doesn't rattle.
The controls are very positive and sure of themselves.
It doesn't have a lock or magazine safety. I refuse to buy a pistol that have either of these.
The hammer doesn't bite me out of the box.
The grip safety appears to fit well.
The barrel bushing and barrel are fit extremely well to each other and to the slide.
It comes with nice grips.
The 3 dot sights mine came with are a nice step up from standard GI.
Nothing appears to be proprietary, other than the sights. Makes replacing parts easier.

At the end of the day, I like my Remington R1. It isn't perfect, but it appealed the most to me out of all the factory 1911s out there and it still does. Nothing against the other guys, this just makes my nautical vessel a little more buoyant than the others.

This is how mine sits as of now. SS screws, carbon fiber grips and a hogue MSH. It will long 3 hole trigger, get tritium sights, and a new wide spur hammer. The latter of the two mods I'm doing because I want to, not because it 'needs' them.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:57 AM

Really nice review Nightwolf. My local LGS has them on sale in Nov for $399.00 (includes the $100 rebate) for the 5" model. Really contemplated the purchase. Thanks again for your very thorough review.
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2017, 04:46 AM

OP, better check, I thought the rebate has expired (unless there's a new one)?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 AM

I bought a R1 Carry Commander and it's one of the best 1911's i own now .
It holds it's own right there with my Colts and has been just as reliable .
My only complaint with Remington is they tend to use the wrong recoil springs in their setups from the factory but that is an easy quick fix and about $7.00 .
A 16# recoil spring in a Commander style gun is to soft , that should be used in a 5" Govt model , the standard for a Commander should be a 18# and usually a 20# for +P ammo .

Last edited by JB6464; 10-01-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 PM

I been looking at these on gundeal.com site. Thanks for the heads up on the SS versions.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:14 PM

I bought mine from impactguns.com, but they're also on grabagun.com. May be worth checking those out to compare prices and whatnot.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 PM

The full size R1 Carry I have has been good to me. It is accurate and isn't picky about ammo. The slide cocking grooves are to smooth for my likes but other than that I really like the weapon. I also like the front night sight. It was made in New York but I don't know if that matters.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 AM

I have worked on many of them, they are OK for the price. the fits are not very good so don't expect some tack-driver, but they are and OK shooter. It really depends what you expect and your application. If your just looking for a low end average pistol, than good.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:26 AM

I have a Carry Commander also. It's a good gun.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 AM

Just picked up a R1 Enhanced in Commander size. After getting the rear sight fixed by my local smith,it ate over 200 rounds of FMJ without one problem.
The rear sight out of the box was to the far left of the slide. Mine is in stainless so no worries of bluing fade.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM

"The flat mainspring housing is made of plastic, and I suspect the trigger is as well. "

I got one of the first R1's to come out of Alabama and it has a steel MSH and trigger.

My Ultralight Commander did however come with a plastic MSH, which I already changed to an aluminum one.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo1bart View Post
"The flat mainspring housing is made of plastic, and I suspect the trigger is as well. "

I got one of the first R1's to come out of Alabama and it has a steel MSH and trigger.

My Ultralight Commander did however come with a plastic MSH, which I already changed to an aluminum one.
My R1's are standard model. They both have metal housings and triggers. One is one of the first ones on the market, the other is a stainless model I bought in 2014.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 10-02-2017, 11:12 PM

+1 Carry Commander. I really like it. As said above, it is now one of my favorites!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 AM

I have the full size R1 Carry and its a great gun fit and finish are good and feeds anything i put in it. In my opinion the carry model is the way to go. The frame is forged and all parts are metal although many small parts are MIM if that's an issue for you.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Bought my new standard R1 this spring (got the $100 cash rebate after GaG's $499 price). For $399 I think it is a great value 1911 (Have owned the Colt & Springfield Armory before this one). Fit & finish are excellent. Being an Alabama gun, it has the steel MSH & metal trigger. The front sight needs to be replaced, as it sticks up too much above the slide and has a little gap showing. No biggie for me since I'm gonna put a night sight on it.

Bought the Commander too.

Last edited by ScoPro; 10-03-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Being an Alabama gun, it has the steel MSH & metal trigger.
I don't believe location of manufacture dictates whether or not those parts are metal or plastic. My R1 is also from Alabama and has the plastic MSH. I can't confirm if the trigger is plastic, but I'd bet 'yes', given the silver is wearing off and revealing a black finish underneath.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:23 AM

"Bought my new standard R1 this spring (got the $100 cash rebate after GaG's $499 price). For $399 I think it is a great value 1911"

+1
Old 10-04-2017, 07:33 PM

I bought a R1 Enganced 9mm and it was nothing but trouble, Jam rate was 25%. Came firom the factory with a 45 extractor, the ejector fell ou on the first range trip. Told Remington CS what was wrong. Sent back five times and wasted hours and money on it. They eventually replaced with a 45. It also has feed issues. I know, your thinking I don't know 1911s. I have a dozen and love them. My other 1911s are remarkably problem free and most run 100% for thousands of rounds with no real issue. I used to love Remington's. After the Remlin lever gun issues, ammo issues, 700 trigger issues, R51 issues, not any more. For similar money I would go with a Springfield or Colt Competition. Both run very reliably.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
I bought a R1 Enganced 9mm and it was nothing but trouble, Jam rate was 25%. Came firom the factory with a 45 extractor, the ejector fell ou on the first range trip. Told Remington CS what was wrong. Sent back five times and wasted hours and money on it. They eventually replaced with a 45. It also has feed issues. I know, your thinking I don't know 1911s. I have a dozen and love them. My other 1911s are remarkably problem free and most run 100% for thousands of rounds with no real issue. I used to love Remington's. After the Remlin lever gun issues, ammo issues, 700 trigger issues, R51 issues, not any more. For similar money I would go with a Springfield or Colt Competition. Both run very reliably.
Confirms what I have heard anything Remington 1911s in 9mm. Seems like they got the 45 right, but not the 9mm
Old 10-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorcan View Post
You really do take a chance on buying a Remington today.

Not a big issue if you can diagnose and solve issues with the gun, but your average person just wants it to work. It would take one hell of a deal to make me buy another Remington product, and unless they are doing a buy one get two free. I don't see me ever buying another.
1911forum member #7
Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 PM

^ That's what I heard before I bought my R1. I did a couple days worth of research and found a lot of good words from date of release to just before I bought mine, but only a handful of bad.

To the OP: Take some free time and research what others from many forums have to say. From what I've seen, if someone truly has had a headache with something, they WILL make it known somewhere, somehow.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolf View Post
^ That's what I heard before I bought my R1. I did a couple days worth of research and found a lot of good words from date of release to just before I bought mine, but only a handful of bad.

To the OP: Take some free time and research what others from many forums have to say. From what I've seen, if someone truly has had a headache with something, they WILL make it known somewhere, somehow.
I wish it wasn't that way, as I have always liked Remington. It kills me to see a company like Remington go down the tube like they have. To see what has become of the Marlin name, as well as Bushmaster.

At least with a 1911 if they can make the frame and slide in spec, you are probably pretty safe. I mean you should be able to solve any problems that may come along.

With their other guns, problems are mostly from cheapness. Last year I bought what I thought was a NOS 870 Police model. What I got was a 200 year 2016 model. I know at least the police models are built well. The same can't be said for a 5 year old express model.
1911forum member #7
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 PM

"at least with a 1911 if they can make the frame and slide in spec..." And they have proven they cannot even do that. Look at the frame bridge/ barrel bed machining on a Remington. The way they machine it there can be no bowtie. Look at how the slide stop hangs down beyond the frame.

Last edited by drail; 10-06-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 AM

Remington is no Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, that we know and can agree on. But, when talking about buying a 1911 (or any firearm for that matter), the most important detail to assess is "Does it run?".

From not only my example, but others I've looked up would answer 'yes'. Of course there are some who did not get so lucky, such as the 9mms which would appear to have issues.

Are they perfect or finely crafted? Absolutely not, but on the same token, I wouldn't expect perfection from something that cost me less than 500 bucks.