help me decide again - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 01:49 PM

help me decide again

I sold a gun I never use and now happen to have $500 to use towards another gun... I'm kinda torn. Be aware that I DO like striker fired guns, and steel hammer fired guns equally, and I'm not really jonesing for another 1911 at the moment unless it's a Les Baer or Dan Wesson

big criteria. RELIABLE!!! boringly reliable and good aesthetics are key. right now I'm down to 3

Glock 17 gen 4 with glo pro night sight on the front (sorry, I'm a glock fan and have a billion mags for them) for $498

Glock 19 gen 4 OD green (summer exclusive) for $479

CZ 75 PCR (a few bucks about $500, but whatever)/ CZ 75 full size

HK VP9 in FDE for $495 shipped (also remember HK has it's 4 free mags via rebate deal going on)

this is going to be for fun and home defense (the PCR I might actually carry but who knows, I tend to like my shield and G43 for that).. and of course because I like guns and would like another that I'd actually shoot (I sold my walther P99 because the DA/SA decocker was only ok, and I'm kind of turned off by some of the issues that Walther is having right now so I didn't want to replace it with the PPQ)

any thoughts? any other guns in the same price range that I'm missing? again, reliable, good CS and straight shooters are my main criteria.

Last edited by wormraper; 07-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM

For what it's worth, I'd get what ever makes YOU happy! Don't know what you already have, but how about a nice revolver? They never go out of style. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara5 View Post
For what it's worth, I'd get what ever makes YOU happy! Don't know what you already have, but how about a nice revolver? They never go out of style. Good luck.
sweet, that means ALL of them.... now if only I could get the wife to go for that

except for the G17/g19 they're all guns I've never tried, which was why I was trying to get opinions. That and I'm one of those guys who will over think everything even after I've made a purchase

The CZ... I like the idea of a lightweight CZ compact as I have the full steel compact already (insanely awesome shooter)

The HK... I've heard good things but never owned an HK before so it would be entirely new waters (their mags are stupid expensive though, and the 4 free mag rebate is pretty dang good)

Glock... need i say anymore. mags are dirt cheap, they tend to go bang reliable, and are ridiculously simple to strip, not to mention I'm heavily invested with over 6 glocks in the stable)

as for revolvers. Sadly all the revolvers I want are WAY past my $500 (ish) budget. Have had revolvers for many years, and the ones I want are specialty ones

Last edited by wormraper; 07-19-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Had a Glock 17 Gen 3, it was dependable, easy to field strip and pretty accurate. Problem was I didn't shoot it very well. Just something about the grip angle that just never felt quit right. Wasn't the gun...it was me.
I have a CZ PCR.....well it started that way, its a Pro Tek 1 from the CZ Custom shop. Very accurate for a compact, great trigger, my wife loves the size of the gun and the weight being an alloy frame. But again this isn't a box stock PCR. Also have a CZ 75B, love the way the gun feels it just fits in your hand, they are sprung a little heavy, trigger has a long DA/SA pull, and feels a little heavy. I don't have a trigger gauge so I cant tell you exactly but its not a light trigger at all. Very accurate, but with a trigger job it would be more so. Thought about sending it to Cajun Gun works to have it worked, they specialize in CZ's
Both eat everything, 115, 124, 147 grain 9mm. The only feed problem was with 147 grain with the XTP Bullet from Freedom Munitions, the OAL would not let the slide go into battery because the bullet was engaging the rifling. They both fed and shot the 147 ball ammo just fine though.
Good Luck on your search.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 07-19-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:29 PM

XDS .45 3.3" For Under $500 I purchased Firearm and Holster New. Added PRP Sear and Spring Kit(using Factory Grip and Striker Spring) Puts Pull weight at 6 lbs and smooth with a solid reset; not bad OEM was 7.5lb with a Little "grit". With PRP Striker String pull weight is 5lbs

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 07-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Double Taps at 7yards OEM Sear and Springs

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Glock 17 gen 4 with glo pro night sight on the front (sorry, I'm a glock fan and have a billion mags for them) for $498

I would personally pick gen3's for the better triggers and better reliability.
gen4 was a step backwards.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:58 PM

I've never heard of Glock having good aesthetics! But they are dependable. Of your choices the G19 would be my choice, especially if you carry. Probably the best all-around model they make.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:59 PM

I enjoy my CZ PCR, which is a tad lighter because of its aluminum frame. I fine it easy to carry. I have owned several CZ's and recommend them highly. You might consider the SP01, a full size steel frame model.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
I would personally pick gen3's for the better triggers and better reliability.
gen4 was a step backwards.
sadly there's no way to get the old gen 3's back except on the used market. glock gen 3's in recent years showed the same issues that the gen 4's had because they replaced many of the internals with the same parts, including the double recoil spring that the gen 4's had issues with at first (until they corrected them)

that and I'm a lefty. the sharp stabby little mag release slaughters my ring finger under recoil. the gen 4 mag release fixed that issue.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM

I have literally all the guns you mentioned, the PCR would be the best for carry but the VP9 shoots the best overall. However mine has jammed on me twice (slide lock engaged once prematurely, other time FTF) so it would lose to the PCR and glocks in that respect.

G17 and G19 are both the epitome of average and adequate in their respective size classes. I like mine, I have a Gen3 vickers g17 and a Gen2 G19 and they both perform well and the 17 only jammed twice on its very first mag so I would consider both fine. They shoot okay and I have no complaints with performance overall.

The HK......well let me say I have LOTS of HK handguns (all the USPs, VP9 and I'm think of getting the P30) and I will have to say if you want plastic they are simply the best. They shoot faster and more accurately than any other plastic gun in the same size class. The USP Tactical .45 is the only plastic gun I have ever used that controlled the the recoil of .45 as well as a metal frame gun and is VERY accurate (think shooting 12g shells at 25 yards for fun accurate, only handguns I have other than it that can do that are my WCs, NHCs, and custom CZs) The VP9 lacks the mechanical recoil reduction system of the USP handguns but regaurdless still works a hell of a lot better in the speed department than my G17 and especially the G19. The obvious isssue is mag availability and price and the lack of aftermarket things to add if that is a concern. I will say I find myself using the older USP guns more.

The PCR is interesting.....it shoots very well but loses to the the HK and G17 and about ties the G19 BUT it feels far more comfortable than even my Gen2 G19 (I personally find gen3/4 uncomfortable after about 5 minutes in a proper hard grip) and melts in your hand. Very similar feel to a 1911 and so far NONE of my CZs have even considered having a malf and my CZ SP-01 Tactical is probably the single most relaible handgun I own.

All are good guns and the above are just my observations. I have 1200 through the two glocks each, about 700 through the HK and over 3000 through my CZ guns. I use the CZs the most of the group as they perform better overall.

Last edited by Striker2237; 07-19-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
HK VP9 in FDE for $495 shipped (also remember HK has it's 4 free mags via rebate deal going on)....
Grab me one too...w/ night sights!

Locally they have the FDE night sight model @ $599. Very tempting!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Browning Hi-Power. Ultra reliable and a JMB design.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
sadly there's no way to get the old gen 3's back except on the used market.
incorrect, they still produce gen 3's...

If I were a lefty, Id want a truly ambi gun and swapping only the mag catch doesnt exactly qualify..
Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmIII_Ruger View Post
Grab me one too...w/ night sights!

Locally they have the FDE night sight model @ $599. Very tempting!
that's not too far off from online... with shipping it's about $575 + trasnfer fee. good in town price... add $100 to that price and we're talking stores around here
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM

help me decide again

I didn't see the Walther PPQ .45 mentioned, from what I've read they seem to be the one of best polymer guns out currently, and good looking too.

I think they are right around $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1911s - Wilson Supergrade Classic .45 ACP | Wilson Supergrade Tactical Compact .45 ACP | SV Infinity IMM Open .38 SuperComp | Donato Caspian Custom .45 ACP | Dillon Super 1050 .45 ACP | Dillon RL550 .38 Super

Donato on LinkedIn
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
I didn't see the Walther PPQ .45 mentioned, from what I've read they seem to be the one of best polymer guns out currently, and good looking too.

I have not fired one however they strike me as a well put together gun and the ergonomics are great, very VP9 like in the hand. My only issue is the size, way too large to CC for me and the lack of threaded barrel and some other features prevent me from using it as an OC/belt gun.

I tend to shy away from polymer .45s though due to shot speed issues compaired to metal guns. Only one I have ever used that keeps up without a comp is the full size USP.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I sold a gun I never use and now happen to have $500 to use towards another gun... I'm kinda torn. Be aware that I DO like striker fired guns, and steel hammer fired guns equally, and I'm not really jonesing for another 1911 at the moment unless it's a Les Baer or Dan Wesson

big criteria. RELIABLE!!! boringly reliable and good aesthetics are key. right now I'm down to 3

CZ 75 PCR (a few bucks about $500, but whatever)/ CZ 75 full size

HK VP9 in FDE for $495 shipped (also remember HK has it's 4 free mags via rebate deal going on)

this is going to be for fun and home defense (the PCR I might actually carry but who knows, I tend to like my shield and G43 for that).. and of course because I like guns and would like another that I'd actually shoot (I sold my walther P99 because the DA/SA decocker was only ok, and I'm kind of turned off by some of the issues that Walther is having right now so I didn't want to replace it with the PPQ)

any thoughts? any other guns in the same price range that I'm missing? again, reliable, good CS and straight shooters are my main criteria.
It's been a long time between pistol purchases for me. I went with a Les Baer SRP with a couple of upgrades. Early returns indicate I got a great gun.

That said, I could have bought all the guns you listed with change to spare.

If you are inclined towards special, bias yourself towards the high end. Otherwise, any of the ones you listed fit the bill. The Walther Q5 Match also deserves consideration if you like 9mm.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post

with all of hte issues that walther has been having (PPS m2 barrels being peened, etching in the PPS and PPQ barrels with walther not doing much) etc.. I've kind of written walther off my list for the foreseeable future
Old 07-19-2017, 06:24 PM

I believe the Sig P320's with contrast sights are in that price range. I've had no issues from mine, but they fit my hand better than the glocks. YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 06:30 PM

You might have to look around for a while to find a PCR, but it's a heck of a nice gun.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNISHR View Post
You might have to look around for a while to find a PCR, but it's a heck of a nice gun.
yeah, sadly I noticed the PCR is out of stock. 2 weeks ago there were a half dozen places to get one, now none .

I know it's kinda sad, but I'm having a hard time between the G19 OD green, the PCR and the VP9... the VP9 and the extra 4 mags look sexy as hell, but having no experience with them makes me nervous. if a PCR was in stock righ now.... that might be my actual choice.or a P-01 omega

Last edited by wormraper; 07-19-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 PM

If you have to keep the price at $500. take a look at a Sig SP2022. Yes it is DA/SA, but IMHO it is a best buy.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Help you decide again?

No.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:29 AM

Toss the $500 in the back of the safe. Squirrel away $50 every so often. After a while you will have $1200. Now, what would you be looking for? A sweet 1200 dollar affair or 2 more combat guns at 500+?