RMR onyour EDC - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 08:30 PM

RMR onyour EDC

As I got older my eyesight began to slip and finding my front sight quickly began to be difficult. A detective friend introduced me to his Glock with an RMR. I had some bucks so I mounted one on a Glock 17 and have decided to mount one on my Colt Commander. I attended one of Gab Suarzes classes and I can find this bright dot immediately.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:51 PM

Gab wrote the book on putting an RMR on a fighting gun. I dont personally use one...yet but someday I might bite the bullet if my vision gets any worse haha!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:35 PM

They help tremendously on a bullseye gun too
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 PM

Definitely seems to be popular these days, but I prefer to keep things simple for EDC...not to mention those sights are expensive!!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:50 PM

Just put a Vortex Razor on a STI 2011. Not my edc, but a game gun. So far I like it. There is a learning curve, but it is pretty fast to find the dot.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:10 PM

They wi come down in price over time. If they save your life, the cost is irrelevant.

I don't have much for extra funds these days but if I did I would certainly set up a carry pistol with one.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 PM

At the old age it is the way to go.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:58 AM

I played with a few guns that had RMR's on them, and they really weren't for me.

I'll preface by saying that I'm a point shooter. For anything inside of 25 yards I'm just acting on muscle memory and squeezing the trigger. They say to "train like you fight", and seeing as how it's impossible to switch your focus from a person running at you to focusing on the front sight, I do all of my under 25 yard shooting focused in the target. Over 25 yards, where I have time, I line up my sights, which makes me a hair slower, but more accurate at those distances.

I jumped on YouTube to see the proper technique for RMR's via the industry professionals that are using them. What I found is that they're basically saying to use muscle memory to bring your gun up to target, and if your technique is correct, then your dot will be right in the middle of the glass. Improper technique will have your dot outside of the glass, and you'll have to play around to search for it, ultimately making you slower than traditional sights.

Upon hearing people say that, I couldn't help but think that if you're relying on proper technique and muscle memory to bring the gun up on target with the RMR dot in the middle every time, you're essentially point shooting. So if you're going to point shoot, just point shoot. The RMR merely acts as a verification that you're point shooting correctly.

I hope that makes sense.

As a side note, I just want to point out that Scott Warren, former HRT firearms instructor, 5 time IDPA service pistol national champion, has a podcast interview where he explains that he teaches the 25 yards in, focus on the threat, 25 yards out, focus on the sights methodology. He teaches this to people who are actually expected to use their pistols in real life situations. So take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by spooky619; 01-31-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:08 PM

they work well for both speed and accuracy. Think about USPSA Open class, where it really is an equipment race. 99% of guns have red dots on them because once you get used to them, you really do get faster.

you only have to focus on 2 things (dot and target) instead of 3 (Target/front sight/rear sight). Also wherever the dot is, the round goes, even if you're a little crooked.

That said, there is a learning curve. you hold your head just a bit higher up than you would with iron only, but if you're willing to practice it, the change isn't bad.

I had an RMR on my M&P for a while and used the gun for HD and some matches. All my other stuff was iron sights and I still have perfect vision (33 Y/O) so i don't need it as much. the technology is growing by leaps and bounds, and it will only be a few years before all guns come with them standard.

Hell look at ARs. almost nobody runs irons anymore since the dots are proving to be faster and easier to make good hits.

I carry/compete/HD/EDC/plink/train with all the same platform, which is iron sighted 1911 or a polymer with the same controls. Red dots on EDC makes you want or need to switch all your stuff to dots, and I can't afford that at the moment.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky619 View Post
I played with a few guns that had RMR's on them, and they really weren't for me.

I'll preface by saying that I'm a point shooter. For anything inside of 25 yards I'm just acting on muscle memory and squeezing the trigger. They say to "train like you fight", and seeing as how it's impossible to switch your focus from a person running at you to focusing on the front sight, I do all of my under 25 yard shooting focused in the target. Over 25 yards, where I have time, I line up my sights, which makes me a hair slower, but more accurate at those distances.

I jumped on YouTube to see the proper technique for RMR's via the industry professionals that are using them. What I found is that they're basically saying to use muscle memory to bring your gun up to target, and if your technique is correct, then your dot will be right in the middle of the glass. Improper technique will have your dot outside of the glass, and you'll have to play around to search for it, ultimately making you slower than traditional sights.

Upon hearing people say that, I couldn't help but think that if you're relying on proper technique and muscle memory to bring the gun up on target with the RMR dot in the middle every time, you're essentially point shooting. So if you're going to point shoot, just point shoot. The RMR merely acts as a verification that you're point shooting correctly.

I hope that makes sense.

As a side note, I just want to point out that Scott Warren, former HRT firearms instructor, 5 time IDPA service pistol national champion, has a podcast interview where he explains that he teaches the 25 yards in, focus on the threat, 25 yards out, focus on the sights methodology. He teaches this to people who are actually expected to use their pistols in real life situations. So take that for what it's worth.
Red dots aren't for everyone. There is usually a learning curve for most people with using a RMR on a pistol. As you mentioned, picking up the dot on the draw takes some practice. Many people will advise to start lining up the iron sights like you would normally do and then transition to the dot once you've picked it up. I love RMR's on pistols but it's safe to say I'm still not quite as fast picking up the dot yet as I am with irons. Once I have the dot, however, everything is better. Transitions between targets is faster, aiming is more precise, etc. And one of the pluses about a red dot is that it allows you to focus on your target instead of the front sight post.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:51 AM
Banned

A gun carried for defense really does not need ANY form of "sight."

First, self-defense encounters are usually CLOSE...like arm's length. Anybody bringing up a pistol to access sights is already dead.

POINT SHOOTING is and has always been the way people shoot in a defensive situation...the ranges are simply too close and too fast to do otherwise. SIGHTS are for range use and "offensive" use.

I'm quite sure many range instructors are "teaching" people to bring the gun up and "acquire" the sights....and I am just as sure such teaching is wrong.

People need to learn from DAY ONE to POINT the gun as their eyes focus on the target....which is how humans naturally respond to a threat.

Focus on the light switch across the room...then bring your finger up to point at it...you will ALWAYS be pointing directly at the light switch! This is the innate, human, hand-eye-brain coordination! With the proper handgun to hand fit, this is how one point shoots. Any and all "sights" are meant for those situations where one HAS TIME TO ACQUIRE THEM! This WILL NOT BE at DEFENSIVE RANGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've shot a total of 8 people at CLOSE RANGE using various handguns and I have NEVER, EVER "used the sights"...only brought the gun up as my focus was on the other person's eyes, and fired....I'm still here typing this, so I guess that means I won...they lost.

Bull**** red dots and "bold" sights are just that...bull****....designed to get a little further into your pocket but has NOTHING to do with the real world!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Mafia hit man?
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 02-01-2017, 01:30 PM

Okay.....