My Apologies to Les Baer Fans. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-10-2016, 04:11 AM

My Apologies to Les Baer Fans.

For years I've badmouthed Baer 1911's. I would rag on the large "45ACP" slide font, the guns looking plain and incomplete, the horrific choice for names (Thunder Ranch, Concept, etc.). I was never kind to the guns or their fans, often purposely picking e-fights with Baer owners.

Well, I was wrong. I came up with all this nonsense without ever owning or shooting one. A few days ago I purchased a rather basic Baer model, the UTC. The fit is unlike any other 1911 I have, and that includes Wilson's and Nighthawk. I can barely rack the thing! The bluing is beautiful and the feel is incredible. I don't know what it is about the grip, if it's the checkering or what, but it is the most comfortable 1911 I've ever held. I'll be shooting it for the first time Sunday. If it functions properly I can see this thing quickly becoming one of my favorite guns, and I have a lot of guns. So feel free to rip into me, don't hold back, I deserve it. But before you guys bleed me out, can you tell me if there's anything I'm not suppose to get on the Baer bluing, besides my grubby finger prints?

Last edited by PuddleMonkey; 09-10-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:31 AM

It takes a big person to admit their mistake. With the that said, welcome to the club, and be warned that Baers are addicting - so you won't be stopping at one lol ��
"The 1911. This is the weapon of an American soldier. Not as clumsy or as random as a polymer gun, but a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For years, the American GI were the guardians of peace and justice in the world. Before the dark times, before the Clinton administration.”
Old 09-10-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
For years I've badmouthed Baer 1911's. I would rag on the large "45ACP" slide font, the guns looking plain and incomplete, the horrific choice for names (Thunder Ranch, Concept, etc.). I was never kind to the guns or their fans, often purposely picking e-fights with Baer owners.

Well, I was wrong. I came up with all this nonsense without ever owning or shooting one. A few days ago I purchased a rather basic Baer model, the UTC. The fit is unlike any other 1911 I have, and that includes Wilson's and Nighthawk. I can barely rack the thing! The bluing is beautiful and the feel is incredible. I don't know what it is about the grip, if it's the checking or what, but it is the most comfortable 1911 I've ever held. I'll be shooting it for the first time Sunday. If it functions properly I can see this thing quickly becoming one of my favorite guns, and I have a lot of guns. So feel free to rip into me, don't hold back, I deserve it. But before you guys bleed me out, can you tell me if there's anything I'm not suppose to get on the Baer bluing, besides my grubby finger prints?

Greetings,
You mentioned the grip feeling slightly different. Perhaps some of these other gentlemen can elaborate; however, I believe that the frame/grip is slightly thicker. Not between the grips, but the distance from the front strap to mainspring housing. I haven't measured it personally; yet, I agree, the fit of Baer 1911s in my hand compared to other manufacturers is unique.
After 500-600 rounds thru mine it would occasionally choke. I broke down and bought several Tripp Research "Cobra Mags". 1,800 rounds later, perfect. I believe Baer's with the hard fit are more picky w/mags than most 1911s.
To your point about poking fun at brands of guns; I used to do the same on Kimber. The fact only minor cosmetic differences would jump the pricing $400-600 dollars was a big one, yet Kimber still slipped those horrid plastic main spring housings to us. My thought is the heart of the pistol is the hammer spring, why Kimber, Why?! Then I bought a Pro TLE II as a carry piece. Must admit, it hasn't failed a single time on ANY defensive load. The fit/finish is well above average for production guns. And the MS housing was very easy to change. I'm still not a fan of Kimbers dolled up models, matter of taste, however, for a sub-$1,000 pistol, the TLE line is not bad at all!
Enjoy your new pistol. The more you shoot it; the more it grows on you and smoother it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2016, 05:45 AM

Congrats and enjoy.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:17 AM

Thumbs up for having the courage to admit you were wrong. As to the feel, my Stinger is a little thinker both in the length but also in the width. So much so that it's much tighter in my VM2 than my SA Champions or my Kimber Pro and requires me to loosen up the Bladetech when I run IDPA.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:33 AM

"I came up with all this nonsense without ever owning or shooting one." we are sending Les over to repo the gun-- you are NOT worthy of such a fine instrument

LOL-- at least you apologized for such behavior, Speaking about something you do not know about is very bad and quite common

enjoy the gun. I am SURE you will

BTW did you write an apology to Les yet?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 AM

I have really thinned my herd of 1911's but I will always have my PII. Shot plate tables with it last night and will probably punch bullseye targets with it today. It is just under two years old and has well over 10,000 rounds through it. Still as tight and accurate as after 1,000 rounds. My Baer is different than my Wilson's but a very special gun.

Glad you decided to see what they are really like, you will love it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 09-10-2016, 07:43 AM

Looks great.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Welcome to the club.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 AM

OP,

Can't tell from your post if it is new or not. If new, don't clean it, shoot as is through break in.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:47 PM

Give it a chance. It just may become a favorite.
22 1911's 16 Smith & Wesson Model 29's and 629's. 3 Colt Pythons. 7 Ithaca Model 37's. 2 F-16 Fighting Falcons. 1 A-10 Warthog. 21 AR Style Rifles. 2 Sherman Tanks. 1 Panzer Tank. 1 Pallet of Stinger Missiles. 1 105mm Howitzer. 1 Squad of Nepalese Gurkhas. 1 Billion rounds of assorted ammo and 2 Trident missiles.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Welcome to the Baer club!

Part of the difference you feel in the grip is the distance from the front strap to the mainspring housing; it's longer on a Baer than other 1911s. You'll notice this if you put a set of aftermarket grips on the gun that are not made specifically for a Baer. Just take a panel off one of your other 1911s and put it on the Baer. You'll see what I mean. Another difference could also be that the UTC comes with thin grips. I had to take the thin grips off my UTC and TRS, because they just didn't feel right when I shot it. They changed my finger placement and it threw off my accuracy.

As to what things should not go on your Baer bluing, I would suggest avoiding things like salt water and carburetor cleaner.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S, EDC X9 Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM

OP,

The UTC was my first LB. And it certainly isn't my last having added both a Boss and a Concept VII commanche. But the UTC remains my favorite shooter of any of my 1911s. I have though replaced the grips with the thin panel VZs taken off my Dan Wesson Valor (replaced with ivory). The Valor is my pretty gun. The UTC is my work horse. Enjoy yours.

UTC with DW VZs.

TN Firearms Association Legislative Action Committee
Handgunlaw.us Donor

Last edited by spclopr8tr; 09-10-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:52 PM

Welcome aboard, I'm sure Sunday will be a real eye opener. The beauty of a Baer is in the way in performs. If you haven't visited the thread 20,000 rounds through my Baer, be sure and check it out. IMO the one that is the subject of the thread is exactly the way a Baer should look. I'm sure Les would approve of it.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebenn View Post
OP,

Can't tell from your post if it is new or not. If new, don't clean it, shoot as is through break in.
Thanks for the heads up, it's new.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
"I came up with all this nonsense without ever owning or shooting one." we are sending Les over to repo the gun-- you are NOT worthy of such a fine instrument

LOL-- at least you apologized for such behavior, Speaking about something you do not know about is very bad and quite common

enjoy the gun. I am SURE you will

BTW did you write an apology to Les yet?
If I see him in my neighborhood I'm running him over with a Toyota.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Welcome to the Baer club!

Part of the difference you feel in the grip is the distance from the front strap to the mainspring housing; it's longer on a Baer than other 1911s. You'll notice this if you put a set of aftermarket grips on the gun that are not made specifically for a Baer.
Is there anyone that sells grips specifically for Baer's?
Old 09-10-2016, 04:34 PM

Traded in my Comanche several years ago when I stepped up to a Wilson. Still have the latter but I still regret not trading a different pistol instead of my only LB!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Glad to see that you finally bought a 1911 and decided you like them. It really depends on the brand you buy and what fits your hand. I also have a Les Baer. It is a Premier II and really like it. I also have two 1911s from Springfield Armory and they are nice for the price.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
Is there anyone that sells grips specifically for Baer's?
www.thefinergrain.com
Old 09-10-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdell49 View Post
Uh... they list 9 Les Baer grips and all 9 are SOLD.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 PM

http://www.derwoodmfg.com/

Nice grips for great prices.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegnor View Post
http://www.derwoodmfg.com/

Nice grips for great prices.
That's a really cool site! Wish they had Thuya Burl. Odd they don't tell you what the wood is, they just number them.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:04 PM

I've wanted a Baer for some time now but every time I am able to get it, I find a deal on something else. I have had 2 major national dealers tell me that if it was them buying a gun, they would spring for another $200 - $400 and get a Nighthawk or $600 - $800 and get a Guncrafter. That pretty well cinched my ideas to focus on a 'Crafter or a 'Hawk.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-10-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
I've wanted a Baer for some time now but every time I am able to get it, I find a deal on something else. I have had 2 major national dealers tell me that if it was them buying a gun, they would spring for another $200 - $400 and get a Nighthawk or $600 - $800 and get a Guncrafter. That pretty well cinched my ideas to focus on a 'Crafter or a 'Hawk.
Not exactly correct. You can find new Baers for $1600-1800 everyday on GB. Checkout Oakhill guns for great pricing. Guncrafters really start around $2600, and Nighthawk's 3k.