Forgive me...bought a glock - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 02:52 PM

Forgive me...bought a glock

I've been carrying a 642 daily for some time now. Some days it's the primary (only) some days it's the backup. I've been considering a second 642, another smith in 357, or even a small auto just to have another small gun to supplement the small capacity.

Walked into my hometown gun store with the intention of buying a lc9 to fill that need. Ended up walking out with a Glock 43.

It won't replace anything in my lineup but will be a good second gun on those days where I'd only have one gun, before.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

Last edited by Sock; 09-01-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:04 PM

If you post a picture now, and a range-report in a few days you will be fully forgiven!!!

But seriously, I held my first glock 2 days ago, my neighbors, which is 20 year old (the glock, not the neighbor), after hearing all the horrible things about glocks I was impressed, grip is OK, and the trigger was dam-good for a semi-poly.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 09-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Say 10 "Hail Mary's" tonight and all will be forgiven.

Go in Peace, while you carry your piece.
Cappice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 03:51 PM

Nothing to forgive. Polymer guns might not be works of art or bear any resemblance to fine jewelry, but they do what they're supposed to do. I own only 2 polymer pistols, but they both hold places of honor as my EDC (Shield 9mm) and nightstand gun (PPQ-45) Both are absolutely 100% reliable. I don't own any Glocks yet. I've been attracted to the 43, but it's just too similar to the Shield for me to rationalize buying it.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 PM

I've been carrying a Glock 43 during the warm weather and it is a damn fine gun.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Nothing wrong with Glock. I own several. Being able to shoot it is all that matters.
22 1911's 16 Smith & Wesson Model 29's and 629's. 3 Colt Pythons. 7 Ithaca Model 37's. 2 F-16 Fighting Falcons. 1 A-10 Warthog. 21 AR Style Rifles. 2 Sherman Tanks. 1 Panzer Tank. 1 Pallet of Stinger Missiles. 1 105mm Howitzer. 1 Squad of Nepalese Gurkhas. 1 Billion rounds of assorted ammo and 2 Trident missiles.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:17 PM

I HATE them....buuuut I shoot them well and carry one often. Hate is kinda a strong word but I find myself comparing them to my favorite, the 1911. And that is just not fair to the ugly Glock Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with Glocks, I've come to admire my Glock 19 for what it is...a tool. It obviously doesn't have a soul like my 1911's though. I kinda like treating it the way I'd never purposely treat my 1911's.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Congratulations on the new Glock.

And what a coinky dinky!

I just picked up my 2nd G43 from my FFL only an hour ago.

The G43 is the only Glock that fits my little hands and just like Goldilocks, the Glock is "just right".

I love my 1911's in .45acp and they are my numba' one G.I. home defense pistols however (and as much as I loathe to admit it) I shoot the little Glock more accurately inside of 15 yards.

Tell anyone I said that and I'll deny it!

And then there's the CC factor.

The gun just disappears IWB just carrying it around the house and is soon forgotten about.

I have an upcoming LTC class in 2 weeks and after that well...

Guess which gun I'll be carrying the most!

Have mercy!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Happy Glock 21 owner here.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM

What!!! You are outta here!!! There are no 1911 Glocks, oh this the general gun discussion sub forum....

Never Mind
Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM

Never could warm up to one although many swear by them.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:50 PM

I own several Wilson's, Brown's, and Baer's but I carry Glock's. They go bang every time, are not magazine or ammo picky, are easy to detail strip, and you can switch out parts (upgrade if u like) without fitting issues.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM

I kinda like Glocks, If I didn't have a thing for 1911's and old school revolvers, I could easily see myself carrying a Glock M32.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:31 PM

A bad guys nightmare Glock 23 and 20........
Old 09-01-2016, 06:25 PM

I have a G17 Gen4 that I am required to have for our Churches Security Team. The thought of having to acquire one initially sickened me. Like all my 1911's I felt it needed some embellishments and I changed out the trigger assembly with a Skimmer trigger by Glock Triggers. Oh, I had ordered the gun from Dawson Precision and it came with real steel sights sighted in for 25 yards. I replaced the plastic guide rod with a stainless one and recoil spring assembly and finally added a match grade Wilson barrel. The gun shoots really sweet now and I am using it occasionally for EDC. I figure if I had to use it I would only be out a thousand bucks instead of nearly four grand for my Wilsons. Anyway, it always goes bang and groups well. Besides, for protecting the Church flock I thought these enhancements would be a good investment. I could carry any type of gun in the Secuity Ministry excluding a cocked and locked weapon. I went with the Glock based on their reliability stats. I didn't question the Leadership about their aversion to the 1911 as I want to serve in this Ministry. Glocks aren't half bad!
"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." Psalm 144:1
Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 PM

We are all human and we all make mistakes on occasion. The point is to learn from them and not do the same thing again... EVER!!!! In all seriousness, if you like it, and it gets you shooting, then so be it, reckon we'll get over it . As for me, my 17 (yes, I actually have one, from way back in the day) hasn't seen the light of day since since about mid-way through GW's 1st term.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:18 PM

I've kept a G21 in my office for a long time.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
I've been carrying a 642 daily for some time now. Some days it's the primary (only) some days it's the backup. I've been considering a second 642, another smith in 357, or even a small auto just to have another small gun to supplement the small capacity.

Walked into my hometown gun store with the intention of buying a lc9 to fill that need. Ended up walking out with a Glock 43.

It won't replace anything in my lineup but will be a good second gun on those days where I'd only have one gun, before.
C'mon man, put a Sock in it will 'ya? Glock rhymes with block; it even has a plastic stock; coming to the 1911 Forum is a shock; is there a screw loose in your clock?

I'd have one if it had a safety but it would sure stand out like a _ _ _ _ in a punchbowl in any of my safes.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-01-2016, 07:39 PM

One addition needed to every Glock, and that is http://talongungrips.com/grips/glock/43.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47 PM

I love mine for competition stuff. Very easy on the hands with drills and clearing simulated malfunctions.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:53 PM

OK, you did the confession part, now If I have this straight, you'r supposed to drink three Bloody Mary's and hang out with Rose Marie, or something like that. I don't sin myself so I can't remember these things.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Guy View Post
One addition needed to every Glock, and that is http://talongungrips.com/grips/glock/43.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negative.

A good addition for you but not for moi.

I like it just the way it is.

On another note...

The biggest bitch about Glocks in general is the grip size.

Big hands love 'em, others hatem'.

As per the G43 the bitch is about capacity.

In reality, if one doesn't like the capacity, the grip size, feel the need to mod the trigger, the sights, etc. on ANY gun...

You bought the wrong gun for you.

I feel the same about 1911's especially.

Have mercy.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 PM

I have absolutely no problem with Glocks.
They're good guns, no question at all about that.

1911s and Glocks are both genius-level designs.

If you don't agree, you have no genuine judgement of mechanical engineering excellence.

I get so tired of the "only one gun design can be good" attitude displayed by so many handgun enthusiasts.

I've owned and shot 1911s since 1986 and Glocks since 1989.

Why in the world would one of those designs have to be considered "good" and the other "bad"?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 PM

No forgiveness needed. Glocks are good guns. Gun snobs would cry otherwise. They are foolish if they can't see past their own prejudices. Glocks go bang, every time. They are tough as nails. They can take a hell of a lot of abuse. They aren't pretty but neither is a hammer and it is still good at what it does, so is a Glock. They can be modded and personalized with readily available parts. They come in a good variety of common calibers. They are super easy to operate and perform maintenance on. They are relatively inexpensive which is good for beginner level shooters, frugal shoppers, folks who have a tight budget or folks who like buying lots of guns. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fanboy but I appreciate the utilitarian design!

...and I like variety in general when it comes to shooters.
Revelation 19:11
Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.
NRA Life Member. Veteran. Patriot.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:47 PM

S&W 642 and GLOCK 43...

Two great choices in my book! Well done.

Edmo