1st post and 1st 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-29-2016, 03:59 PM

1st post and 1st 1911

Well I picked up my first 1911 for some target shooting and general range fun. It was a very knee jerk purchase and I don't really know exactly what I have, or even if I paid a fair price. I have 3 weeks no questions return so if they robbed me I have a bit of time to decide. Most the firearms I own are mil-surp rifles so I kind of gravitate to weapons that have shown so use. That means I'm not really concerned with the looks but I am concerned that maybe the wear on this one may be getting to the point to effect performance? Looks like it's seen a lot of rounds. Everything feels good but the true test would be hitting the range this weekend. I paid $599.99. Any info anyone has on what model this is or what I should keep an eye out for let me know. BIG TIME 1911 newbie here. I had to watch youtube for takedown instructions!! LOL.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 PM

I googled the UPC and saw most people that were selling one with that UPC code referring to it as a loaded target model. Does that sound accurate?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 PM

The model number is PX9152L if you google it and go to images it looks close .
Like someone removed some of the black off the frame .

If you call Springfield and give them the Serial # they will look it up for you .
1-800-680-6866 Also Springfield has a great warranty and a great custom shop
so if you need anything they will be able to take care of you .

Nice to have you in the SA family and here on the forum .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM

So I called springfield and they said it left their facility June 3, 2003 and it was a black Stainless with night sights. No mention of target or loaded or anything. The adjustable sights are night sights, so the "could" be original but without it being designated as a target model I'm skeptical that they weren't added later.

I'm still well within my 3 week return window, would you guys say $599.99 was overpaying for this pistol? Good shooting start to slowly build from?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:05 AM

Welcome! That's actually a really neat find...congrats! The black stainless finish wasn't very durable compared to the other finishes offered, but the good thing is it was over stainless, so there isn't as much to worry about on the corrosion side of things if it was carbon steel, for instance.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM

That could be a very nice price on it. It looks like it may have the two piece full length guide rod (FLGR) which I would replace down the road. I would buy some name brand 230gr FMJ ammo and go to a range and shoot it some. If it shoots O.K. then you got a good deal. I would guess the best of the LGSs down here would sell it for $600 or so and they only give you a week to bring it back. Of course they have a gun smith on the payroll and check out used guns. Never had to take one back..... yet.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Welcome from East Texas
Old 08-31-2016, 01:56 PM

Yep, the parts look standard for a Loaded Target. Somebody added a mag well and flat bottom grips. I'd take a chance on it for $600 if it passes basic function tests. It has been awhile since I bought my last new stainless Loaded Target, but it was the better part of $1000 in 9mm back then.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:02 PM

That's not a bad deal for $600 I would even consider getting it satin finished to make it look crisp and new.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I can't wait to get it to the range this weekend. One thing I noticed is the rear night sights are very bright but the front is extremely dim, so it looks like I'm going to need to get that replaced first.

But what would I want to replace the 2-piece guide rod with? *EDIT*<----Never mind the last question...used the search feature and found it beat to death.*EDIT*

Last edited by SgtVeXX; 08-31-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 PM

Nice looking pistol. Hope she runs great for you for many a year.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:09 PM

welcome...hope it all runs good for you.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Well FINALLY got to the range and was very happy. Had a couple of failure to feeds early but this is my first .45 so I think I was limp wristing it. Firmed myself up a bit and didn't have any problems from then on out. My first Target with it at 15yds (46 rounds on target)...

Old 09-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Yes it does look like a Black Stainless. It was a stainless pistol that had black accents. Yes the Adjustable Bomar style sight did come on some as well as the mag well.

Your price was very good. These go for around 1,000 used.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Looks nice.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:18 PM

I would say that you got a good deal on a nice used pistol. The factory black finish isn't very durable but SA will refinish it and it will look new again. My wife has the exact same 1911 a few serial numbers newer and its a jack hammer, it just chugs along and the night sights are still very bright. I believe the name of it was called back in the day was the Black Stainless Target and the slim grips and mag well are stock, they come with the 2 piece guide rod. IMHO the GI set up is better but my wife refuses too let me swap it out.

Last edited by Phil McGrath; 09-11-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Looks good
Old 09-11-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
I would say that you got a good deal on a nice used pistol. The factory black finish isn't very durable but SA will refinish it and it will look new again. My wife has the exact same 1911 a few serial numbers newer and its a jack hammer, it just chugs along and the night sights are still very bright. I believe the name of it was called back in the day was the Black Stainless Target and the slim grips and mag well are stock, they come with the 2 piece guide rod. IMHO the GI set up is better but my wife refuses too let me swap it out.
Any idea on the ballpark figure SA charges for that kind of thing?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVeXX View Post
Any idea on the ballpark figure SA charges for that kind of thing?

Ahhhh, shouldn't cost anything?? I've seen a few guys here call SA Customer Service about the finish wearing off and SA sent them a RMA and it was handled, done deal. Who ever is doing the refinish now changed the method its supposed too be more durable and the black is not as shiny as well.

In the case of my wife's peee shooter all hers has is a spec here and there missing. But compared too yours, hers looks new the only time it gets pounded on is when I bang on it...

Last edited by Phil McGrath; 09-11-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Banned

That 1911 is not even broke in yet and very nice. I dont think limp wrist was the whole problem looks like to me the edges on the barrel are sharp hard for me to tell without feeling it but i think you should watch some war movies and rack the slide back and forth and maybe pack it with graphite and then rack it back and forth but learn how to a complete takedown and detail cleaning before that it will get everywhere. fight the urge to worry about the finish make this your work gun once the finish does not worry you then you will not be worried to use and train with it. That rod might be slowing down the cycle or sticking. Get the gi one or polish the rod to a mirror polish rubbing the rod with toothpaste until it shines might help. I call a 45 that cycle's like your explaning "crunchie" I do what i call "massage the 45" that is cycle the action polish and i file and grind but you have to understand what your doing do not remove any metal unless you know what your doing this could make it unsafe but the cycle sanding filling polish is my rubbing my 45 so i call it massage lol i do this until the 45 becomes "perky" and then i go a little more until the gun starts to sing

Last edited by anonneteru; 09-11-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:43 PM

You have a good gun, no worries with a Springfield.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:30 PM

So I'm looking into ordering a replacement front sight because it is emitting "no" light anymore. What height would I need for this pistol? Brownells has anything from .160" to .215" There doesn't seem to be any writing on the front sight so I have no idea. Anyone know what height this model came with on the front? Also all of them say Govt. or Off. which I don't know the difference there either (I know, total 1911 idiot).

Last edited by SgtVeXX; 09-13-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added pics of current sight
Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 PM

sorry guys I'm just lost...looking for parts and I keep getting asked Government, Officers, Commander, Defender....but I never see one that just says 1911A1...how do I know what parts will work for this pistol?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVeXX View Post
sorry guys I'm just lost...looking for parts and I keep getting asked Government, Officers, Commander, Defender....but I never see one that just says 1911A1...how do I know what parts will work for this pistol?
Yours is a full size 5in pistol, and all 5in pistols are called Gov't models or just simply a 1911. The Colt Commander uses a 4.25 barrel the SA Champion uses a 4in barrel there close too each other in there over all length.. Same for the Colt Officers and the SA Defender both are 3.5in barrels.

But if your thinking about sending yours in for a refinish, why not have SA replace the vials when its there? Much cheaper and less of a headache for you.....

HTH.

Last edited by Phil McGrath; 09-13-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
Yours is a full size 5in pistol, and all 5in pistols are called Gov't models or just simply a 1911. The Colt Commander uses a 4.25 barrel the SA Champion uses a 4in barrel there close too each other in there over all length.. Same for the Colt Officers and the SA Defender both are 3.5in barrels.

But if your thinking about sending yours in for a refinish, why not have SA replace the vials when its there? Much cheaper and less of a headache for you.....

HTH.
I'm not sure if I could part with it for very long...I'm loving shooting this thing. Don't know why it took me so long to get a 1911. Maybe they'd send me a loner while I waited, lol.

Last edited by SgtVeXX; 09-13-2016 at 09:04 PM.