GP 100 DIYing - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM

GP 100 DIYing

I purchased my Ruger GP100 about a year ago. Normally, I am a semi-auto person through and through. The last time I owned a revolver was when I was fourteen acquiring a Ruger Bearcat in a .22 caliber.

Well, for some reason, I got the revolver bug about a year and a half ago and finally decided on the Ruger GP100 4.2 inch barrel in stainless steel. It was intended as a reliable and sturdy trail gun only; no extended range sessions were planned nor any modifications desired.

However, the more I shot it, the more I liked it…so being a tinker by nature I went on a research quest for various DIY improvements. Well, last week I finished a trigger tune up with Wolff springs and a general polishing of the action and installing various shims from Trigger Shims Co. Let me tell you…the trigger pull is now very smooth and very crisp at eight pounds double action and a three and half pounds single action ( eight pound trigger spring and a ten pound main spring).

Since I do the majority of my shooting in a little neighborhood indoor shooting range, I decided to swap out the front sights for something more visible. I went with fiber optics and Ruger’s own red insert front sights. In daylight outside, they were outstanding but indoors, they were as black as the original sights…dah on me. I was thinking of using Metro light night sights but read that they tend to have fitting problems, so I am still looking.

Next is a cylinder chamber polishing due to sticky extraction and chamfering the cylinder mouths, barrel, and forcing cone. I want to replace the finger grove grips with a smooth but haven’t found a pair yet. I did get the old style grips with the panel insert but might require a more recoil sensitive pair.

So far, DIYing the GP100 has been as fun as working on my 1911s. I do find that aftermarket parts, like the sights and grips, are somewhat limited which surprised me. I guess it’s the challenges in life that makes it interesting.

Last edited by Michael61; 05-11-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 AM

Glad you like it. Ruger makes a tough and strong revolver. My experience tells me that the triggers can be improved quite a bit with Wolff springs and some judicious polishing. And every model I have had was very accurate.

Congrats, and have fun tinkering.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 AM

I also love my GP100 in 357 (6" blued), and am interested in tuning it up.

Do you have any pictures or process info on how you did yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Agreed OP. I slicked up my 6" pretty good a few years back.

Sebspeed search for Ruger revolver tuning by "iowegan".
Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinz11 View Post
Agreed OP. I slicked up my 6" pretty good a few years back.

Sebspeed search for Ruger revolver tuning by "iowegan".
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebspeed View Post
I also love my GP100 in 357 (6" blued), and am interested in tuning it up.

Do you have any pictures or process info on how you did yours?
No, but here are some links that may help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0jFwUq_-VU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl7FU8btYY4

Its pretty easy, just watch for the three springed indents. I lost one and had to order a replacement. They do not cost that much; $3.00 for spring and indent each but the mailing cost will kill you, lol.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:05 PM

I did much the same on a SP-101. Because of the reduced mechanical advantage in the smaller pistol I don't believe it can be made as good as a full sized revolver in DA but the SA is vastly improved!

The folks up a Trigger Shims are great.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:59 PM

I do a fair amount of tinkering, but my wheelguns have mostly escaped my need to mess around with stuff. I'm not super quick to bust out a file and remove material but the revolvers have seen some namebrand smith's that have done a great job.

One thing you might try is the HIVIZ front sight. It was super easy to swap out and it comes with a white dot as well which might help your indoor shooting.

Trijicon also makes a night sight for the SP101 that you might be able to implant to a GP100.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:35 PM

I got that sight; the problem is when shooting indoors there is not enough amiben light to allow the sight to shine. It’s as black as the regular sight.

I will look up the Trijicon sight to see whats what. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:38 AM

I'm getting ready to send mine off for a porting and polishing- just because. After that maybe a nice wood grip-again just for the heck of it. I used to have a 6'' Gp100 when they 1st came out and shot the snot out of it, now i have a 4'' and a reloader I'm gonna shot the snot out of this one too.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool View Post
I'm getting ready to send mine off for a porting and polishing- just because. After that maybe a nice wood grip-again just for the heck of it. I used to have a 6'' Gp100 when they 1st came out and shot the snot out of it, now i have a 4'' and a reloader I'm gonna shot the snot out of this one too.

Yea, that' my next buy, a reloading system.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:31 AM

I don't know if Ruger would sell you the grips separately or not, but the ones they send on the Match Champion edition are very nice. I know that Hogue makes them for Ruger, and they have stipling on them. It gives them the ergonomic feel of an auto but on a revolver. They're kinda big if you'd want to use it as concealed carry weapon, but for range use they're really nice.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Hey Mike, thanks for the information. I like the way they look and the fact of no finger groves. However, I require some recoil absorbing material for longish range practiceand prefer non groves. On the other hand those grips look almost too good to pass up.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael61 View Post
I got that sight; the problem is when shooting indoors there is not enough amiben light to allow the sight to shine. Itís as black as the regular sight.

I will look up the Trijicon sight to see whats what. Thank you.
Bummer. I would have thought the white insert might work for you. Perhaps you could look into some fluorescent paint?
Old 06-18-2016, 05:03 PM

If you can stand the commentary from the host, this gunsmith does a great job of explaining the whats and whys of what he's doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqticFg9q8