Turret Press - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 05:14 PM

Turret Press

Been loading on a single stage for over 40 yrs. Family is shooting a good bit more lately, and I'd like to speed up the re-loading process. Zero exposure to turret. Mainly .45 acp., and 10mm. Looking for bang for the buck, and whatever wisdom yall have for me. Thanks a lot. P.S ever looking for old cartridge loads I have ancient re-load books...
Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 PM

I went from a single stage to a turret a couple of years ago. I do like the turret as it is always set up and ready to do whatever operations that need to be done. As far as speed goes the turret is not a whole lot faster than a single stage. At least not for me.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 PM

For high volume go progressive, Dillon or Hornady.

I use a Dillon 550.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM

Started reloading in 2013 on a Lee Challenger single stage.
Bought a Lee Classic Turret in 2014.
Knowing my dies are always set & being able to quickly change calibers is a big plus.
My biggest slow down is the powder dispenser. The Lee auto disk just doesn't work as well as their perfect powder measure.

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM

Dillon 550. I have never been a big fan of turret presses although some people are.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:37 PM

Search on Lee Classis Turret. Happy with mine.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 PM

You can do maybe up to maybe 100/hr with a turret, if that suits you needs go for it. They work well, especially for pistol ammo. It can also be used as a single stage if you choose.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM

I don't find them much faster than a single stage, but since I load more 45acp than anything else, it's nice to leave your dies set up in them. I'm guessing a good 35% of members here have some form of turret syndrome.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:28 PM

I do about 100 an hour 45acp on a turret also.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 PM

+1 for the Lee Classic Turret. I've loaded thousands of rounds of 9, .38spl, .357mag, .45ACP, .223, .22TCM, and .30-30 on mine. I have a turret plate set up for each caliber - all I have to do is drop in the right plate and I'm ready to go. I don't shoot enough to justify investing in a progressive.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 PM

I appreciate the information folks...
Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 PM

LYMAN T MAG , an old Spar T that I use for rifle, 2 Dillon SDB's 4 pistol. If I was young again and just getting started I would look long and hard at a Dillon 550 or 650
Old 10-27-2015, 07:59 PM

if you can scratch up $400, you can't do better than a Hornady LnL progressive

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PD01NS/...l_1yignp7inl_e

..L.T.A.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Dillon 650.....
Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 PM

You can't go wrong with a Dillon 550.
Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision. -General Pat Cleburne, CSA
Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 PM

I like my Lyman T-Mag Turret Press.

Easy to change Turrets in order to easily change calibers.

If I walked into the loading room right now and wanted to load up .45acp, I can do 100 per hour fairly easily.

If I wanted to then change over to .44 mag for example, it takes a matter of a few minutes to change over the turret and shell holder on the ram.

Personally, out of the three powder measures I have RCBS, Hornady and Lyman, I like the Lyman best for accuracy and holding to load.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:02 PM

I love turrets, and the Lee Classic Turret is a good choice.

You will gain a bit of speed with a turret, but if speed is the major reason for purchasing the new press I suggest you jump to a progressive.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 PM

The "LEE PRO 1000" is a great little progressive press that wont break the bank & can also be used as a single stage press. I love the turret press specially for low productions.. But, if you reload for the family then you need a progressive press for the demands.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 AM

I have a Lyman Turret press that I bought years ago.

With pistol ammo I do the following four operations:
- size and bell on the turret press,
- clean primer pockets
- prime with a hand tool
- powder, seat and crimp on the turret press.

The turret press saves me additional handling of the brass at the sizing step and at the seating step. I have the option of doing everything in one operation though I rarely do that these days, mostly because I don't really like how my turret press seats primers and I like to clean out the pockets to make sure the primers get fully seated.

What's my production rate? Maybe 100 an hour. I clean primer pockets and seat primers in front of the tv so I am not sure if I should count that.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:58 AM

I have a Redding T-7 and think it's a great press. As others have noted, my production rate is also around 100 an hour, all things considered. The thing is, though, I really enjoy the process and find it to be, well, meditative, I guess, since you have to focus on what you're doing, so I suppose I don't really measure my enjoyment via production rate. All depends on what you like, I guess, in my case, I like to reload them as much as I like to shoot them.

The advantages to me are that I can do things in stages. I like clean primer pockets, so I wet tumble. That means that I use a universal decapping die to decap all the empties, then I tumble them. Once they're clean, I inspect and size them all, then sort them by headstamp into the 'cleaned, sized, sorted, ready to go' bins. I don't like having primers loaded into the press unless I'm priming, so I'll tend to expand and prime in lots of 100, putting the expanded and primed cases into MTM 100 boxes for later use.

Once I'm ready to make up some rounds, it's a matter of grabbing an MTM box of primed and expanded cases, drop powder, seat bullet, check OAL, index turret head to the next die, crimp, done.

Thus, I guess I'm just really using the turret as a single-stage that I don't need to swap dies on, though the seat, index, crimp part is not something you could do on a single stage.

I pretty much just shoot Bullseye though, so for me, it's more about the consistency of the finished rounds, and just the enjoyment of the process. I shoot about 200 rounds a week, so this is just my speed.

Were I shooting 500 a week, for sure I'd be looking at a progressive.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoltroll56 View Post
Been loading on a single stage for over 40 yrs. Family is shooting a good bit more lately, and I'd like to speed up the re-loading process. Zero exposure to turret. Mainly .45 acp., and 10mm. Looking for bang for the buck, and whatever wisdom yall have for me. Thanks a lot. P.S ever looking for old cartridge loads I have ancient re-load books...
Turret presses really aren't much faster than a single stage as previously stated. I would go with the other recommendations of getting a Dillon 550 or a Hornady AP. You already have the dies so the Hornady will be the cheapest. Youll only have to buy shell plates for your particular ammo.

Also hornady will give you 500 free bullets which makes the press even cheaper after you factor those in.

I have 2 Hornady presses and a Dillon and would recommend both. (Yes I mixed Red and Blue and didn't die)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 AM

I use a turret but I use it more like a single stage, and batch load. The convenience for me is the quick die changes by swapping turret heads (Lee turret). However, I have done it both ways, and taking advantage of the full ability of the turret is definitely quicker. But, if I needed volume, I'd buy a progressive.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 AM

With total prep done, as well as primed, I think I did 50 .45 acp in 8 min on my Classic Turret
Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 AM

I think the decision to go from a single-stage loader to either a Turret or Progressive press should be based on how much ammo you plan to load. I got the Lee Classic Turret press a number of years ago, and it's still going strong after many 1000's of rounds. Since I load more than one caliber, I find it convenient to get extra turrets and pre-set my dies in them. Then it's a 1 minute job to change calibers. The big advantage that the LCT has over other Turret presses is that it can automatically index after each operations. Others, you have to manually move the dies to the next operation. Having this auto index feature allows me to load from 150-175 rounds/hr without any hassles.
If this is your objective, the LCT is the best bang for the buck out there right now.

If you need to load at a higher rate, you need to look at the true Progressive press like the Dillons or Hornady LNL's.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 PM

Agree with springer. I can easily do 100+ an hour on the LCT....that's not in any kind of hurry at all. I take my time. If that kind of output works, then the LCT is 'bang for the buck'. If you need much more than that step up to a prog.