Remington 1911 Magazines. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 PM

Remington 1911 Magazines.

For those you here that are experienced 1911 owners and familiar with the various 1911 magazine manufacturers,
What company do you think is manufacturing the magazines for the Remington line of 1911s and stomping the Remington name on them ?
The reason I ask, is that I have an aquantince that is a new gun owner and it is a Remington 1911 ( he did have a Hi Piont before, but that doesn't count .)
And this person is wanting some extra magazines and is being thick headed about wanting only "Remington" magazines.
I am trying to make him understand that for the premium he will pay for them $25 or better) that he can get better magazines for less, or that he can get the same manufacturer magazine for a lot less, it just won't have Remington stomped on it.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:45 PM

I don't know for sure, but they may be Check-Mate. They make a lot of OEM mags. The mags that came with my CZ are Check-Mates, and are stamped as such. Other manufacturers that use Check-Mate, tend to have their own name stamped on them. It's possible a call to Remmy might clear it up.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM

did you explain that the 1911 is the AR-15 of the pistol world? Do you have 1911 of any brand that you can pop a mag out of and slide into his R1 to demonstrate?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 PM

My guess is CheckMate makes them.
Because of the shrouded type follower.
They are excellent mags.
I stocked up on them when CDNN offered them for about $8.00 a pop.
And, guess what? They work perfectly in my Colts, too!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroman View Post
My guess is CheckMate makes them.
Because of the shrouded type follower.
They are excellent mags.
I stocked up on them when CDNN offered them for about $8.00 a pop.
And, guess what? They work perfectly in my Colts, too!
This is what I am trying to get through to him, but he insists that the mags must be have the Remington stamp.
For the price of one "Remington" mag, he could get three CheckMates.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerbe View Post
did you explain that the 1911 is the AR-15 of the pistol world? Do you have 1911 of any brand that you can pop a mag out of and slide into his R1 to demonstrate?
This is his second firearm, his first was a Hi Point.
To him an AR is. Dangerous gun that no one should own........... So using the AR analogy would be wasted breath.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
.....And this person is wanting some extra magazines and is being thick headed about wanting only "Remington" magazines.
I am trying to make him understand that for the premium he will pay for them $25 or better) that he can get better magazines for less.
Wow, Steam Boat. Some guys are purists and just won't accept substitutes. I'm kind of that way in that I have seven Remington mags, including the two that came with my R1. Each one performs flawlessly. I always did some smart shopping, never paying over $20 for any of them, and making sure they shipped for free and I didn't pay any sales tax, either. As for Remington's manufacturer, I read somewhere a while back that they're made in Italy by Mec-Gar. I've always been pretty anal with my Colts, too. All of my Colt-stamped mags are made by Metalform. JM2CW.

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC
Old 10-15-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dad View Post
Wow, Steam Boat. Some guys are purists and just won't accept substitutes. I'm kind of that way in that I have seven Remington mags, including the two that came with my R1. Each one performs flawlessly. I always did some smart shopping, never paying over $20 for any of them, and making sure they shipped for free and I didn't pay any sales tax, either. As for Remington's manufacturer, I read somewhere a while back that they're made in Italy by Mec-Gar. I've always been pretty anal with my Colts, too. All of my Colt-stamped mags are made by Metalform. JM2CW.
I'm weird too about my Colts. I use only Colt stamped magazines in them. Anything else seems sacrilegious. Most are Colt branded Checkmates, but the older guns have Colt branded Metalforms.

Anything else and I just use what works. The rem magazines are good ones. I'd not pay a premium for the rem name though. CDNN had been selling them right along for sub 10 dollars.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM

The Remington R1 Enhanced mags appear to be Metalform Elite 8 round magazines.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:03 PM

MecGar bought an extra one of the MecGar branded ones for $15 instead of the $50 Remington ones. Same everything but the logo stamp and the crappy flat clear overspray.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:13 AM

I bought a 3rd mag directly from Remington and the plastic baggie that it was packaged in said MecGar right on it.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 PM

I have seven Remington 7-round mags and they all work flawlessly. The five I bought after buying my R1 Commander are identical to the ones that came with the pistol. I bought them brand new on E-Bay, etc. and I never paid over $20 delivered for any of them. Sometime ago I, too, read that MecGar does/did make the mags. I'm not picky about appearances but I do like Remington mags to go with my Remington pistol. Same with Colts.

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." -- Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC
Old 05-28-2016, 07:07 PM

The magazines that came with my R1S appear to be MecGar. I don't like them at all. I replaced them with Checkmate using GI feed lips.

Tom
1918 Colt
Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Funny Rem mag story. Bought a new R1 carry last week and was at the range yesterday for it's second outing. Also had my new Colt lightweight Commander along. Wanted to see if the Colt would feed and function with the Remington bonded Golden Saber ammo I bought on sale to break in the new Remmy with. Well it was a jam-a-matic in the Colt with Chip McCormick mags and Wilson 47-D's, had the two Remmy mags in the bag and gave them a go in the Colt. Ran like a champ with the Sabers and 200gr LSWC loads. By the way, the two mags that came with the Colt wouldn't work in the Colt either and now reside in the factory box.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 PM

MecGar I bought a third one to fill my holster and looked around and found the exact one that matched my magazines even down to the finish and round count font. I was too cheap to pay $50 at the time for R1 magazines but paid $14 for the MecGar. It doesn't come with the Remington roll mark on the buttplate naturally. I am thinking on picking up a couple of Sarco house made GI magazines and see how they work for $5 a pop.

One thing I had to do a little recurving and tighten the feedlips on all three slightly to correct the sixth round doublefeed problem mine did like others. Since adjusting them no problems.

Sorry for the repeat I forgot this was an older post.

Last edited by Sgt. Y; 08-09-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:18 PM

Today I shot my Commander Carry 1911 and the only failure to feed were with the Remington magazines that came with the pistol. 3 other mags posed no problems in any way. I only have about 400 rounds shot in the pistol and I guess it's time to ditch the Remington mags. Has anyone else had this kind of problems?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 AM

I found the feed lips are spread too wide. Try taking a 7/16 drill bit in a vice shaft end out and use as a mandrill. I used a small hammer and gingerly reformed them inward about a mm or two. So far no problems.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM

I would be careful with the "GI" mags. I had a couple that blew the base plates off. I'm sure they were foreign "knock offs" but I couldn't tell when I bought them.

I only buy Tripp Research Cobra mags. My second choice would be Wilsons. I know they are in the mid $30 range, but you only need to buy them once. Lessons learned. In the long run, they are cheaper.