22 tcm/9mm - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 09:49 AM

22 tcm/9mm

I would be interested in hearing some user's experience with this piece. Honestly I am interested in it because of the hi cap 9mm component only and in the commander size. Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM

I bought mine, just for an IDPA ESP gun, full size though. It takes a little tuning of the magazines, since the geometry of the 9mm round really doesn't fit a 1911, there is no ramp, and the barrel doesn't tip up like a plastic gun. I polished the barrel ramp area, cut the tops of my extra magazines (Para 38 super mags from GregCote.com) back to match the one made for the 22TCM. I replaced the front sight with a Dawson fiber and replaced the grips with the G10-like grips Armscor offers (one panel doesn't fit too well, by the way, but it's usable and , much much better than the plastic grips it comes with).
I'll probably polish the internals some time, but the trigger isn't too bad out of the box.

It's a whole lot cheaper than almost any other 2011. Around Christmas, CDNN was selling Para 18.9's for about the same money as this one plus the upgrades with a $100 rebate. If I didn't have this, I would have gone for that, but hey, this one seems pretty tight. It would be nice to have a magwell, though, but the magazines probably wouldn't support that. Maybe in the future.

By the way, I have had this since last July and still haven't fired a single 22TCM round out of it. I probably have at least 3-4K of 9mm out of it though.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM

I have the single stack tactical version. I haven't only fired 100 rounds so far so I really can form an honest opinion. It does have very little recoil, a nice muzzle blast, and seems to be accurate. I have the combo but both of my barrels are ramped (clark/para style cut) so I haven't had any feed issues at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 06:14 PM

I just picked up the single stack Ultra MS Combo. Haven't shot the 9mm barrel yet, but have about 100 rounds of TCM through it without any issues. Low recoil, big bang & flash, and as accurate as my FS TCM. Cleaned it well before the first time out, and I ran a bore snake through it after every magazine. One of my favorite firearms already.

Also have a full size double stack. It was a bit of a challenge at first with FTE's on the TCM. Now at 500+ rounds and it's pretty much trouble free. Definitely needs to be kept squeaky clean in the chamber and in the chamber-to-bore transition to keep from sticking cases. This gun also has 250+ rounds through the 9mm barrel, and it's been 100% from the start.

Last edited by swmp9jrm; 02-05-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM

3 RIA;s purchased in Jan-2015 - 10mm, .22TCM/9mm, and a .40 cal. Have not shot the 40 cal. yet, but the other two run like a top. Only fired 10 rounds of TCM, just too much for the backstop at indoor range. Several hundred rounds fired from the 10 & 9 with some stoppages from the 10 on first shoot. 2nd day shoot not a single hiccup.

NOTE: First day for the 10 was take out of box and shoot. No cleaning or lubing before shooting.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 PM

Here is my short experience with the TCM. I really enjoyed shooting it in the 9mm configuration. I am waiting on a response from Armscor.

I purchased a M1911 A2 Combo FS-target on 1/31/2015. I disassembled the pistol and gave it a thorough cleaning as well as both barrels and put the 9mm barrel, spring and extractor in.

On 2/5/2015, I fired the pistol with the 9mm barrel, extractor and spring.I put 400 rounds of Federal 124g fmj through it. The pistol had 4 failure to feeds with the first magazine and 3 with the second mag. After the second mag I had zero malfunctions and the pistol seemed to function smoother with every round after. here is a photo of my best group with this pistol at 20 yards.

I then installed the 22.TCM barrel, extractor and spring. I only loaded 5 rounds in the mag at a time because as of right now I only have 1 box of cartridges. The first 6 mags ran fine, I reloaded 5 more in the mag and the next round failed to extract causing a double feed. Upon further inspection I noticed the primer had been blown out. I disassembled the pistol and went in search for the missing primer with no luck. I checked the barrel, slide, guide rod, extractor, spring and found no damage or the missing spent primer. The next 15 rounds were a series of failures to eject every time resulting in a double feed. I had to use a 22 cleaning rod to clear the barrel.

Has anyone reported problems with your factory 40gr JHP? Looks to me to be overpressure from the flat, cratered and missing primers. I can not figure out why it will not extract now. It acts like the chamber is scratched creating tension between the case and chamber after firing.

Ammo: ARMSCOR 22 TCM 40gr Jacketed Hollow Point, UPC# 806015 500292, LOT# 011214

Old 02-06-2015, 12:24 AM

I've fired about one thousand 22 TCM rounds. I haven't tried the pistol in 9mm. I've got plenty of other 9s. I really like the 22 TCM cartridge, and I'm breathlessly waiting for the rifle. My only complaint is that I haven't been able to get reloading dies for it. I bugged Ammo Supply Warehouse again just today. At least loaded ammo is available and fairly inexpensive, but I want to roll my own.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:44 AM

There have been several threads concerning failure to extract because of case expansion. I carry a teflon rod in my bag for the occasional case. I'll bet, if you keep the ones that do not extract and measure it, you'll find it is way too long. I even sent a box back to Armscor as I had two boxes with the same lot number. I struggled through the first box. I knew it was nothing wrong with the gun or the extractor because I had several boxes with different lot #'s that extracted fine.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 AM

Might add, ideally, case lebths are around 1.024-.030 with .030 being on higher side. The pic in the other post is hard to see but it was 1.038 and I've had a couple at 1.040. When you get the stuck cases out, look at the rim of the case. I've had a few ocassions where the extractor claw had a good bite and the slide would not cycle. Also had chunks ripped out of the rim. That plainly shows the gun is trying to do it's part. Ammo related. Hope this might help. Steve
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:33 PM

Was your 22TCM ammunition the Armscor Precision ( made in the Phillipenes ) or the Armscor USA ( made in the USA ) ?
There have been some quality control problems with the Armscor Precision causing over pressure and the problems that go along with that.
I even think there was a recall on certain lots. You may have gotten some from the bad batches.
I've shot 150 M/L of the Armscor USA with no problems of stuck cases or over pressure signs.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 PM

Oops, double post, got sidetracked by the local news.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfischer View Post
I would be interested in hearing some user's experience with this piece. Honestly I am interested in it because of the hi cap 9mm component only and in the commander size. Thanks in advance
The reason to get this piece is for the 22TCM. If you want a 9mm get a 9mm. Mine functions just fine, but it's clear that the 22TCM barrel is the one that the pistol is set up for and the 9mm is perhaps - perhaps - checked to see that it will fit, but it's not the barrel that's fitted and function checked in the gun. The fit of my 9mm is inferior to the 22TCM and with the 9mm installed it is the least accurate 1911 I own, to the point that I worry about an ill-fitted barrel battering the lugs etc. I love the 22TCM and bought it for that, so it's all good in my world.

If you want a 9mm - GET A 9MM! Just my 2.

Oly

Last edited by olyinaz; 02-07-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Boat View Post
Was your 22TCM ammunition the Armscor Precision ( made in the Phillipenes ) or the Armscor USA ( made in the USA ) ?
My ammo is in a yellow and black box and reads "Armscor Cartridge Company Stevensville, MT 59870". Lot#011214

RIA immediately responded to my email. They requested photos of the front and back of the ammo box and of the label from the box of my pistol. They are sending me a return shipping label for the pistol. Indicated they wanted to inspect the pistol first.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post
The reason to get this piece is for the 22TCM. If you want a 9mm get a 9mm. Mine functions just fine, but it's clear that the 22TCM barrel is the one that the pistol is set up for and the 9mm is perhaps - perhaps - checked to see that it will fit, but it's not the barrel that's fitted and function checked in the gun.
I would tend to agree with this post as my pistol was shipped with two 22 tcm test fired cases but no 9mm test fired case. After 400 rounds it is far from accurate in 9mm compared to my STI, but that may be an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 AM

I must have gotten lucky then because mine is at least as accurate as my XDM 4.5.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck00 View Post
I would tend to agree with this post as my pistol was shipped with two 22 tcm test fired cases but no 9mm test fired case. After 400 rounds it is far from accurate in 9mm compared to my STI, but that may be an apples to oranges comparison.
The 20 yd target you posted in one of your other threads looks pretty darn good. Is your 9mm barrel'd TCM really inaccuate?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 PM

I bought my 4.25" model before they offered it as a combo. It came from warlord arms. He is located near the sensors importer in Nevada and claimed to have worked with Fred Craig on the tcm. He took a 22 tcm ms and fitted a 9 mm barrel to it to give me a ms combo. He also claims to hand select his posts. I recently bought a fs combo at a local show. It is quite apparent that the one from warlord is a much tighter pistol. The fs has a bit of a rattle and the beavertail is different and doesn't fit near as well.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post
The reason to get this piece is for the 22TCM. If you want a 9mm get a 9mm. Mine functions just fine, but it's clear that the 22TCM barrel is the one that the pistol is set up for and the 9mm is perhaps - perhaps - checked to see that it will fit, but it's not the barrel that's fitted and function checked in the gun. The fit of my 9mm is inferior to the 22TCM and with the 9mm installed it is the least accurate 1911 I own, to the point that I worry about an ill-fitted barrel battering the lugs etc. I love the 22TCM and bought it for that, so it's all good in my world.

If you want a 9mm - GET A 9MM! Just my 2.

Oly
where else do you find a 17 cap 9mm 1911 commander platform for $600?

and please don't recommend Para even if they can be found at this price. I have no intention of paying any price for a product not good enough to stay in business.

Last edited by Popfischer; 02-09-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiral View Post
The 20 yd target you posted in one of your other threads looks pretty darn good. Is your 9mm barrel'd TCM really inaccuate?
I would not call the 9mm barrel in the RIA inaccurate just not comparable to my STI. I find it curious that they did not enclude a test fired 9mm. Make me think they did not even test the 9mm for function, although it works much better than the TCM.

The STI is 45 so like I said kinda apples to oranges. This was the only photo I could find of a target from my STI and it has one flyer. If I do my job it will shoot a very tight group at 20 yards.

I am very pleased with the RIA for the money, if the 22 TCM did not even come with this pistol I think the price was fair for a 1911 in 9mm. Ivan, Mike and Samantha at ARMSCO have been super to work with. I sent the RIA back to them today on the house. They want to inspect the pistol before they look into the ammo problem. Seems they are going to take the time to make the 22 TCM right.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck00 View Post
I would not call the 9mm barrel in the RIA inaccurate just not comparable to my STI. I find it curious that they did not enclude a test fired 9mm. Make me think they did not even test the 9mm for function, although it works much better than the TCM.

It was my understanding when they first came out that the pistol was tuned to run with the TCM barrel as the primary, the 9mm barrel was added in to make the combo. Myself, even though I love the TCM flash/bang I ran 9mm through it to break it in (cheaper).
Old 02-10-2015, 06:13 PM

Well as a new owner of a RI 1911 A2 target model in 22tcm/9mm and having shot the 9mm today, I am Well impressed with the gun. I took it to my local indoor range and put about 30 cheap blazer brass through it to start, then about a hundred of my various reloads. All the 125 gr RN went thru with no problems, it doesn't really like my 105gr short cone bullet, shot OK, but it didn't feed consistently. They are very short, and that most probably is the issue. But dang it is more accurate than I am. I have a G17 and a PPQ, and the RI is much easier to control, I guess as it should be considering it weights about what the G17 and the PPQ does combined :-)

I really like the feel in my hand. I do have small hands, but it sure feels really nice. Yep, I'm a happy camper. Buy one!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfischer View Post
where else do you find a 17 cap 9mm 1911 commander platform for $600?

and please don't recommend Para even if they can be found at this price. I have no intention of paying any price for a product not good enough to stay in business.
Exactly my thoughts After looking at a whole wall full of $2000+ "customs" that weren't what I was looking for I got deep enough into the store to find the TCM that I bought. I almost passed right over it because he had it on the same shelf as the 22LR! I saw the small barrel bore on such a large weapon, it just looked intriguing, and the tag said 9MM/22TCM combo I had to ask about it. Pretty fair price for a high capacity 9MM I thought. Basically the 22TCM is a really awesome bonus IMO. I really like that round. So fun to shoot and the gun is pretty accurate with both the 22TCM and 9MM. First time to the range with the TCM we put 4 water jugs at 20 yards and 1 at 40 yards. With the 3rd round I was on the first target and I didn't miss after that. I took one crack at a milk jug from 40 yards away with the 8th bullet out of the gun and hit it dead center. The sights were naturally way off out of the case but it was plenty consistent enough to use Kentucky windage reliably. The 9MM shot pretty flawlessly and seemed pretty accurate too. Recoil with both calibers was surprisingly light. Very happy so far with this weapon! I just need to get the TCM tuned out so it extracts spent casings nicely and then I'll have 2 very nice guns in 1 case