Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 PM

Well I'll be [email protected]

From Martin Tuason, posted on 22 TCM KREW on Facebook:

Quote:
Hi everybody. Just a FYI the new round is not called REV. It will be called the the 22 TCM9R the 9R standing for 9mm revolution.

Why because I will make a conversion for every major 9mm gun out there in the next 5 years which I think will change the people's minds about fast bullets with no recoil. It revolutionary don't you guys think?

The REV is reserved for the super secret pistol which will revolutionize the polymer pistol market.
I've got goosebumps...
Old 01-08-2015, 12:08 AM

That's quite a promise to make BUT, looking forward to it!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
22 TCM9R

I guess I don't have a basic understanding of what that round is all about.
Can ya help a guy out?

-Performance wise it is the same or below te 22TCM?It is based on the .223 case yes/no?
-Why is it suitable for use in converting such a wide array of 9mm made by whomever, but the .22 TCM is not?

I read Martins post also, but I lack the background on the round to really understand whats going on here.
You buy the TCM because you want high velocity, low recoil, high mag capacity. So in a nutshell, why does someone want a 22TCMR9?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
Can ya help a guy out?

-Performance wise it is the same or below te 22TCM?It is based on the .223 case yes/no?
-Why is it suitable for use in converting such a wide array of 9mm made by whomever, but the .22 TCM is not?

I read Martins post also, but I lack the background on the round to really understand whats going on here.
You buy the TCM because you want high velocity, low recoil, high mag capacity. So in a nutshell, why does someone want a 22TCMR9?

Simple physics, the TCM fits in .45 sized guns with an overall length of 1.265. Fair to assume the new cartridge will be shorter to fit in 9mm sized guns.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
Can ya help a guy out?

Supplementing what jupiter7 already posted, Modern Weapon Systems is set to unvail their Boberg XR9-S subcompact conversion to 22 TCM9R at Shot Show.

They're claiming 1934fps and 397 ft/lbs out of a 3.38" barrel.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_o_matic View Post
Supplementing what jupiter7 already posted, Modern Weapon Systems is set to unvail their Boberg XR9-S subcompact conversion to 22 TCM9R at Shot Show.

They're claiming 1934fps and 397 ft/lbs out of a 3.38" barrel.
Daym ! That will be one speedy little bullet.
Wonder what it will clock out of a 5" barrel, or even a rifle ?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:19 PM

I will keep my 38 super. It is well tested, very functional and will kill nearly anything on this continent if I do my part.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 AM

It sounds like a smart move to get the TCM concept into huge 9mm market without trying to get all those folks who have 9mm's already to buy totally new guns. The idea of trading projectile weight for speed to get the same effect on the target has been going on for years. Since I can think of nobody who actually WANTS more recoil in a firearm, the reduction of even the moderate kick of a 9mm should be a real selling point (especially among females and we "older" shooters). Since I already have a TCM/9mm Rock and my only other 9mm gun is a revolver, I probably won't be in the market..though a wheelgun using the extractor tabs that my Charter Pitbull has to run TCM or TCM9R and based on the current Armscor .38 revolver frame might be kinda fun to play with!
What'cha think about that?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
It sounds like a smart move to get the TCM concept into huge 9mm market without trying to get all those folks who have 9mm's already to buy totally new guns. The idea of trading projectile weight for speed to get the same effect on the target has been going on for years. Since I can think of nobody who actually WANTS more recoil in a firearm, the reduction of even the moderate kick of a 9mm should be a real selling point (especially among females and we "older" shooters). Since I already have a TCM/9mm Rock and my only other 9mm gun is a revolver, I probably won't be in the market..though a wheelgun using the extractor tabs that my Charter Pitbull has to run TCM or TCM9R and based on the current Armscor .38 revolver frame might be kinda fun to play with!
What'cha think about that?
Bottleneck cartridges don't work really well in revolvers. Would most likely stress the design of the rimless tabs.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:12 AM

jupiter7 - "Bottleneck cartridges don't work really well in revolvers. Would most likely stress the design of the rimless tabs"
Good point and the history of bottleneck use in revolvers is pretty negative, but I wonder at what the recoil pressure of the TCM round is compared to that of the 9mm Luger cartridge. The amount of mass being ejected out the front is significantly less (40gr vs. 115/124gr, about one-third) and the extractor tabs are same used on the .40 Pitbull so I expect they are up to the task. It would seem that a properly chambered cylinder for the bottleneck cartridge combined with the positive locking of the tab to prevent set-back on firing it should be feasible. The extractor tab system works very well on my Pitbull which makes the idea of a TCM wheelgun good chewing gum for the mind.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
jupiter7 - "Bottleneck cartridges don't work really well in revolvers. Would most likely stress the design of the rimless tabs"
Good point and the history of bottleneck use in revolvers is pretty negative, but I wonder at what the recoil pressure of the TCM round is compared to that of the 9mm Luger cartridge. The amount of mass being ejected out the front is significantly less (40gr vs. 115/124gr, about one-third) and the extractor tabs are same used on the .40 Pitbull so I expect they are up to the task. It would seem that a properly chambered cylinder for the bottleneck cartridge combined with the positive locking of the tab to prevent set-back on firing it should be feasible. The extractor tab system works very well on my Pitbull which makes the idea of a TCM wheelgun good chewing gum for the mind.
I'm just thinking of expansion at the shoulder pushing the tabs back. With straight wall the neck expands out but the bottleneck tends to push back but without tabs they bounce. Bet extraction will be sticky. I've got a tad experience with bottlenecks in revolvers(both gone now), a NAA mini in .17 and a Magnum Research BFR in 30-30. The Bfr required near full house loads as it pushed primers out with light loads and bound the cylinder. Full loads with a full cylinder required near brute force to extract. I never shot the .17 as it was discontinued right after I bought it, sold for a profit quickly, but read of many issues.

As you said, an interesting idea none the less, I wouldn't be the guinea pig though
Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 AM

Interesting, but if it takes off, I'm assuming the regular TCM cartridge will quickly become extinct, like so many other cartridges in the past.

It's a good thing we got that 9mm barrel with the TCM pistol.
I guess we will have to buy the new barrel too.

Oh well, I'm only using the 9mm barrel now...lol
Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Based on the one picture I've seen (on the Armscor Facebook page), it appears that the TCM9R cartridge uses the same brass as the TCM, but has a shorter, round-nose bullet. This would suggest that the TCM9R should work fine in the original TCM guns. But maybe I'll supplement my inventory of TCM just in case!!