22tcm 1911 fte!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-23-2014, 07:11 PM

22tcm 1911 fte!!

This is now the second trip to the range, total of 100 factory rounds through the gun. I have at least 1 or 2 FTE per mag. Anybody have any suggestions before I send the gun in to RIA?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:20 PM

My suggestion is to measure the stuck case length. See if it is long. I have a box that will not run at all. Probably 40+ rds left but useless to me. I also have a teflon rod that goes with me when I shoot the TCM in case I have to knock one out. As long as my case lengths are less than 1.03, I have no problem. Ideally around 1.025.
I also polished the chamber a little with a bullet shaped felt Dremel tool bit I placed in my variable spd drill motor. My feed ramp looks to be polished from the factory, chamber looked rough..
I was on the verge of sending mine back until I saw the thread on case lengths. I would say do a search but the last time I suggested that, everyone took offense. Steve
Old 11-23-2014, 07:24 PM

I'll look into that, but I have read it's common and had something to do with the extractor any input on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2014, 07:38 PM

I've had several this long that had to be knocked out
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Shoots just fine when they are like this. I think Jack Stiles sent his new single stack back because of FTE as well. I guess I should send mine back,and I might at a later date, but right now, I'm having too much fun shooting it. Steve
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM

Mine is a single stack also. They are fun to shoot but gets frustrating with all the FTE.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM

I'm still keeping track of case lengths on both Philippine and US produced TCM. The Philippine rounds seem to be more variable. When my TCM was new, I had the same kind of FTE problem you are having - 1 or 2 and sometimes more stuck cases per magazine. If you read the users manual, it says the pistol will likely need to be broken in. I've got about 450 rounds through mine at this point, and it is now pretty much trouble free. Still have an occasional stuck case with the Philippine ammo, but the US ammo has been good. I found that you need to do a thorough cleaning of the chamber - there's a small step at just before where the rifling starts, and I think this area is where the 'stuck' is happening on the long rounds. Doesn't seem to matter on the shorter rounds. I've been using Hoppe's #9 and an AR chamber brush to scrub the barrel after every outing, making certain to get the step area clean.

So, what I would recommend to you is that you clean the chamber very aggressively, and put another couple of hundred rounds of the US produced ammo through your TCM. If you still have problems after that, I'd consider sending it to RIA.

With that said, I'm still of the belief that the FTE problems are ammo related, not gun related in most cases.

Last edited by swmp9jrm; 11-23-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 PM

When mine failed to extract, it was stuck to the extent that the slide did not cycle. It was stuck. When the slide doesn't cycle or the brass has big chunks ripped out of the rim, there is nothing wrong with the extractor. I have removed the extractor and verified the tune of it. I was getting a lot of brass flakes speckled all over the slide and at the ejection port but seemed to be with that one bad box of ammo. Hope all this helps. Steve
Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhopper View Post
I have removed the extractor and verified the tune of it. I was getting a lot of brass flakes speckled all over the slide and at the ejection port but seemed to be with that one bad box of ammo.
I've pulled the extractor on mine as well and checked it - no issues with the extractor. For the first 250-300 rounds I also saw a good amount of brass flakes in the inside of the slide. This has diminished quite a bit with higher round count.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:08 PM

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=448833

This is the thread I was telling you about. I've got over 500rds through mine and the last 300 or so have been flawless. I'm thinking about taking that bad box with me soon and try it again. Also, like the other poster, I clean the chamber very well with a 9mm bore brush. I'm planning on getting an AR brush next time I'm at the store.

Only thing I would send mine back for now would be for accuracy. The last 100 or so rds I'vebeen trying to pay close attention to groupings. I have a laser pointer and I thought the thing was sighted in but I am shooting low. Usually I would think it's me but the trigger is just as nice as my 10mm and there is simply no recoil. I keep adjusting the sight. We'll see. Steve
Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM

I have seen the brass shaving and evidence of where the extractor tried to grab the case. But the case slide where stuck. Took alot to free the slide.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 PM

If the slide was stuck, that means the extractor had it's claw on the rim as it should be and it is doing it's job. Sounds like the extractor is fine. Case is simply stuck. Someone posted in another thread he took a wooden skewer witb him to the range just to knock out the ocassional stuck case. I have a 6" teflon rod I've been keeping in my bag. Drop the mag and use the butt plate to tap the rod will knock the stuck case out.
Next time it happens, measure that case. Steve

Last edited by harleyhopper; 11-23-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: To correct spelling
Old 11-23-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhopper View Post
Shoots just fine when they are like this. I think Jack Stiles sent his new single stack back because of FTE as well. I guess I should send mine back,and I might at a later date, but right now, I'm having too much fun shooting it. Steve
Not yet. Philip from Armscor hasn't gotten back to me with an RMA, no response to emails and no one answers the phone. I am getting annoyed to no end with RIA. I've been a big supporter of theirs and have sold several in the store I work at.

I really doubt we will order anymore of their pistols. We mainly focus on high end stuff and a few issues with RIA were expected. But the guns are getting pretty crappy as of late. As more customers complain we have to take notice. One customer had two pistols that needed new slide stops. They were different calibers and bought two months apart.

I can deal with new guns that show up already rusted, but I expect them to work.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 AM

Jack, was the FTE the only issue or were you also talking about the rust? I also believe my issue of failing to extract was simply ammo related. If I can get some grips, I'll be a happy camper. I'll work out the accuracy problem. Steve
Old 11-24-2014, 09:09 AM

I don't really care about the rust. My other Tac II had the same issue. My 22 TCM it's the locking up failure to extract. The extractor is doing it's job, the cases are sticking in the chamber. Accuracy was poor as well.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Now that you mention it, it sounds like the same problem I'm having. What's the fix??
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 PM

I got a very good response when I spoke to their gun smith. Sorry I can't find his business card, but he seemed willing to help out while Phillip gives me the impression he doesn't care all that much. So far my TCM hasn't had any problems, my gun is the mid sized gun. When I ordered a 9 MM barrel from Adcor, they sent me an extra extractor they listed as a 9 MM extractor. I've been using the one that came with the gun for both barrels.

UPDATE: I kept looking for that business card until I found it. The gun smith I talked to is Shawn Fairbairn, The number listed on his card is 775-537-1444 and his email address is [email protected]. He was very helpful and interested in the problem I was having, which had to do with the 9 MM barrel I had bought from Adcor.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 11-24-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:51 PM

Try contacting Fred Craig, the C in TCM. [email protected]
He was a tremendous help to me and I bought my tricked out,by Fred, target version from him. Never a problem except with some of my reloads.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM

I guess I got lucky....
My fat handle TCM ate the 5 factory boxes I bought without a single hickup.
I got the Hornady die set, and have re-loaded that same 250 rounds 3 times now.
Almost every case had to be trimmed after the first firing. I suspect an ammo issue is the problem you are having. The neck is too long and getting stuck in the end of the chamber. Trim the cases, set the bullet a bit deeper. Bet the issues go away.
I still have not had a single failure, except one failure to ignite Wolf primer.
The only issue I had was the truck spring of a trigger it came with.
I dropped a C&S trigger set in it, and now am totally happy.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:16 AM

22 tcm 1911

I have not yet had one of these guns in my hand but my brother who lives a few hundred miles away has one. In talking to hime about the issue he says he has little problems with his but then because I trained him a bit on cleaning up a gun he polished the chamber with a dremmil tool before he ever shot it. Its sad that the conformity in ammo is so poor on what seems to be a really fun round to shoot. My brother says he has already put a rabbit and three squirles in his stew pot with it. GRIZZ
Old 11-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I got a very good response when I spoke to their gun smith. Sorry I can't find his business card, but he seemed willing to help out while Phillip gives me the impression he doesn't care all that much. So far my TCM hasn't had any problems, my gun is the mid sized gun. When I ordered a 9 MM barrel from Adcor, they sent me an extra extractor they listed as a 9 MM extractor. I've been using the one that came with the gun for both barrels.

UPDATE: I kept looking for that business card until I found it. The gun smith I talked to is Shawn Fairbairn, The number listed on his card is 775-537-1444 and his email address is [email protected]. He was very helpful and interested in the problem I was having, which had to do with the 9 MM barrel I had bought from Adcor.
This was a great help!
I send Shawn an email, he replied quickly and I'll be sending the gun in for him to go through and make sure all is well!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Just did a quick test and from what I can tell the extractor is very loose around the brass. Is this an easy fix?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 AM

When I opened my new .22 TCM/9mm, a note was there and said that I needed to fire at least 500 rounds to break it in... still working on that...Glenn
Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Yesterday was about my 600 round mark. The last 300-350 rds have been issue free. But yesterday, I had one failure to extract. One round out of a box of 50. Measured it when I got home. Just like the one I showed a pic back in post #4. 1.038. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Nothing wrong with the gun.
I would also say the accuracy issue I thought I had....might not be as bad as I thought. Yesterday. I took a rolled up towel. I shot 5 round burst and made adjustments I had initially used my laser bore sighter. This was at 10 yds I finally got it zerod in before I ran out of ammo. Turned out, I didn't have a problem other than a shaky old 60+old fart that can't see(apparently). Steve

I took the rolled up towel to have a rest and using the 6 o'clock hold.
Attached Thumbnails
1417097900643.jpg  

Last edited by harleyhopper; 11-27-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: to add