What type of 1911 do you carry while On Duty? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM

What type of 1911 do you carry while On Duty?

I was curious as to what manufacturer and model types would be most prevalently found in the duty holsters of our members. So, what make and model of 1911 do you carry as a LEO?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Colt Rail Gun

I carry a Colt Rail Gun. I am in the minority. Most carry Kimber and SA MC Operator.

jdsons
Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Parkerized Springer GI with a few mods (hammer and grip safety) and a new set of sights really soon. Just a basic, dependable shooter. I am a new investigator and carry in a Serpa CQC open top while in plain clothes and in a Serpa Level 3 in uniform. I have been working our local lake for the summer. I get a few looks when someone notices my gun's not a dishwasher safe model. I keep a very light coating of Hoppes 9 on the exterior due to the work environment right now.
Springfield Armory fullsize GI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 PM

Kimber Tatical Entry RL II

I carry one of my Kimber Tactical Entry RL II with a Streamlight TLR-1S.
Wilson ETM magazines loaded with Winchester Ranger 230 gr SXTs +P.

I have two identical guns so if one is down or in evidence I have the same platform to work with.

GOLD COMBAT RL II
DILLON XL 650 TO FEED THEM.

Last edited by clydeis1008; 08-31-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: photos
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Currently the Baer Custom Carry shown below in it's entry configuration...

Normal duty carry is without the rail and light attachments I work plainclothes.

Also have carried a Baer Concept VIII and a Kimber Pro Carry II.

Life is too short to carry ugly guns.

Sometimes there's Justice. Sometimes there's just us.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM

Kimber Warrior with some mods...10-8 rear sight and slide stop. Heine front sight. VZ Operator grips, blended and radiused S&A magwell. 20 lpi front strap checkering...
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog 910 View Post
Currently the Baer Custom Carry shown below in it's entry configuration...

Normal duty carry is without the rail and light attachments I work plainclothes.

Also have carried a Baer Concept VIII and a Kimber Pro Carry II.

Sick piece!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 PM

1911 Carry

When I was a LEO, my agency only allowed Glocks, so I carried a G21.

This is kind of ironic, since I am a die hard 1911 fan, and have been shooting the 1911 platform for over 30 years.

If I were allowed to carry a 1911, I would have carried the same gun I use in IDPA Limited Division....an STI 2011 with a BarSto bull barrel. The gun is lighter than a full steel 1911, and I like the hi capacity advantage.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM

I carry a Baer Concept 6 (full size stainless). Most of my dept. carry either Kimber or Springfield with a few carrying Wilsons. I am the only Baer owner on the department.

www.jsggunleather.doodlekit.com
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Colt Series '80 stainless Government Model. 1911s are on our approved list, but must be a Colt with the firing pin safety/Series '80 system...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 PM

One of these:

Stainless SV Infinity, Widebody 40 S&W with Infinicoat DLC coating

Stainless SV Infinity, Single Stack 40 S&W
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Geez, I feel a little inadequate posting after those pics of rangertrace's hot rods!

I carry a parkerized Springfield Loaded. Springfield gutted it and gave it an internal TRP upgrade when I had to return it for a warranty. She's plane Jane but a helluva shooter and feeds everything. I have a number of 1911s but when I go to work this is the one that goes with me.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 AM

Currently dialing in my new Kimber Custom TLE/RL/2..... Don't have enough confidence in it yet as we are still failing to feed and stove piping on just about every sixth round...

Jason
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Carrying a Para Ordnance SSP. Had the feed ramp polished and the saftey tightened up when I got it 5 years ago. Took top gun in the academy with it and it has been 100% reliable since day one.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM

Wilson Combat CQB Tac LE with a X300 weapon light and safariland drop leg holster.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Not that it's entirely relevant today, but when I was a LEO (some 25 years ago), I carried a Colt Mk IV Series 70 Gold Cup NM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc145 View Post
Geez, I feel a little inadequate posting after those pics of rangertrace's hot rods!

I carry a parkerized Springfield Loaded. Springfield gutted it and gave it an internal TRP upgrade when I had to return it for a warranty. She's plane Jane but a helluva shooter and feeds everything. I have a number of 1911s but when I go to work this is the one that goes with me.

Nothing inadequate about your 1911. Springfield makes fine 1911s!!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Springfield Professional with light rail for most things. A Colt Combat Commander when dressed down.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Wilson Combat CQB LE with SF X300

Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Currently a 5" Kimber Gold Combat Stainless. When I return to the street in a few weeks after being off due to surgery, I'll be switching to my Nighthawk Talon since it is now broken in. Kimber is on the left, Talon in the middle and my Kimber Tactical Pro is on the right (off duty gun)

Shot at 2010-08-25

Code of the Samurai
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Running Log

I'm looking at this thread as being a source of information for individuals trying to determine which 1911 to use for duty carry. This is not an ABC vs XYZ war. It is straightforward numbers that an officer/agent can come and look at and potentially see an option they hadn't thought of.

As of 8/9/2011, the following number of 1911s are being listed as duty carry weapons.

Baer

(1) Concept 6
(1) Custom Carry

(2) Total

Colt

(1) Combat Commander
(1) Series 80
(1) Rail Gun

(3) Total

Infinity

(1) SV Infinity Double Stack
(1) SV Infinity Single Stack

(2) Total

Kimber

(2) Tactical Entry RL
(1) Warrior
(1) TLE/RL
(1) Gold Combat
(1) Tactical Pro

(6) Total

Nighthawk

(1) Talon

(1) Total

Para Ordnance

(1) SSP

(1) Total

Springfield Armory

(1) GI
(1) Loaded
(1) Professional

(3) Total

Wilson Combat

(2) CQB Tactical LE

(2) Total
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Add another Warrior to your list. Carried in a Lvl 3 Serpa with Xiphos and an AE Nelson 3 mag carrier. I'd post picks but it's so beat up I'm embarased.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 PM

For SWAT or Uniformed carry I am running an STI Tactical 5.0 - hicap 1911 that outshoots all my other rigs.

Plainclothes is either a Colt Gunsite fullsize or CCO

Backup/Off Duty - old Detonics Combatmaster
Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc145 View Post

wc145, What does an internal TRP up-grade consist of? I also have a loaded and very pleased with it.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydo View Post
wc145, What does an internal TRP up-grade consist of? I also have a loaded and very pleased with it.
You won't find that upgrade on the Custom Shop menu and there's a story behind it.
When I received the gun it had severe slide/frame fit issues and a very rough, heavy trigger pull. I returned it to Springfield without ever firing it and included a letter telling them that I bought it for duty carry and asking that they go through the entire gun to assure that there would be no issues with function, accuracy, action, etc. I received the gun back in exactly two weeks. Not only had they replaced the slide, they gutted the gun and replaced the barrel, bushing, and trigger group with TRP parts, hand fitted everything, and did an action job. This was confirmed by the repair invoice and a phone call to Springfield. The CS rep put me on hold and came back to tell me "Wow, you got a bunch of custom work for free", then gave me a rundown of what the 'smith that took care of the gun did. The gun now has a 4.5lb trigger that is as clean and crisp as you'll find, it feeds everything, has been 100% reliable from the first shot out of the box, and is stupidly accurate. And it didn't cost me a cent, they covered it all under warranty. All that makes this one of my favorite and most trusted guns.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper