dilema - throw down gun? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Hammond Hammond is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 5,755
They make 1911s everyday, family can not be replaced.
__________________
Hammond's Gun & Tackle
Dealer for Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Les Baer

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
  #27  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Emerson Emerson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,902
Ed Brown is still making 1911's. I'm not adding any more members to my family. No brainer.
__________________
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper
  #28  
Old 04-10-2010, 10:16 PM
pbubsy pbubsy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
They make 1911s everyday, family can not be replaced.
Best post here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #29  
Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
toolman23 toolman23 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 43
Does a football team send in its 3rd string on the first play of the game? My best pistol is my first line of defense. My Special Forces Carry is first in line.
  #30  
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM
shoot 1911 shoot 1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 89
After re-reading my initial posting on this thread, I must admit that it is somewhat of a LAME question to ask.

Once again the collective wisdom of the forum has offered proper guidance and the distilled message is best summarized in the following rules of self defense engagement……

1. SURVIVE – KEEP ON LIVING
2. CHOICE OF WEAPON TO USE IS - WHATEVER IS NEEDED TO SUPPORT RULE #1
3. IF EVER IN DOUBT, REVIEW RULE #1

Additional quality advice given was;

Situational awareness – early warning measures are important and may just prevent escalation to the point which requires the use of lethal force.

Defensive weapon selection, regarding lethality – shotguns are most devastating, revolvers offer ease of re-chambering past faulty rounds, proper deployment of 1911 while under attack takes training.

Positive identification of your intended target is essential and tactical lights are useful.

My priorities are;
To equip our home in the best manner that will give us as much advanced warning as possible.
Incorporate alarm devices that are designed to deter and possibly ward off intruders.
Create barriers in such a way so as to postpone or delay engagement as much as possible.

We will also additional attend defensive firearm training classes and practice tactical use of our firearms on a regular basis. We have different several weapons to choose from and plan to become proficient with each. We will prepare to prevail and pray that the situation never occurs.

Oh yea – I also like that this focus on defensive firearms training is a great REASON to buy another 1911! Perhaps a 10mm in the event that we encounter some body armor, knock him off his feet then deal with the situation.
  #31  
Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
KyJim KyJim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 4,313
I want to select the best gun possible to defend myself and my family. The "best" gun may vary upon circumstances. I like a SW K-frame for a nightstand gun (12 gauge nearby).

In cool weather, I like carrying a 1911. I carry a Baer Stinger (CCO size) and Brown SF Carry because they are accurate and reliable. I carry a Sig C3 (CCO size) for the same reasons, plus it's light.

In warm weather, my guns change (despite my current sig line ). I often pocket carry a Ruger LCP because it's light weight and small. It won't pull my elastic shorts down, perish the thought.

While we can debate the validity of my choices, none of them are dictated by the price of the gun.
__________________
Why carry a 1911? Because life's too short to carry an ugly gun.
  #32  
Old 04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
jjkroll32 jjkroll32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot 1911 View Post
After re-reading my initial posting on this thread, I must admit that it is somewhat of a LAME question to ask.

Once again the collective wisdom of the forum has offered proper guidance and the distilled message is best summarized in the following rules of self defense engagement……

1. SURVIVE – KEEP ON LIVING
2. CHOICE OF WEAPON TO USE IS - WHATEVER IS NEEDED TO SUPPORT RULE #1
3. IF EVER IN DOUBT, REVIEW RULE #1

Additional quality advice given was;

Situational awareness – early warning measures are important and may just prevent escalation to the point which requires the use of lethal force.

Defensive weapon selection, regarding lethality – shotguns are most devastating, revolvers offer ease of re-chambering past faulty rounds, proper deployment of 1911 while under attack takes training.

Positive identification of your intended target is essential and tactical lights are useful.

My priorities are;
To equip our home in the best manner that will give us as much advanced warning as possible.
Incorporate alarm devices that are designed to deter and possibly ward off intruders.
Create barriers in such a way so as to postpone or delay engagement as much as possible.

We will also additional attend defensive firearm training classes and practice tactical use of our firearms on a regular basis. We have different several weapons to choose from and plan to become proficient with each. We will prepare to prevail and pray that the situation never occurs.

Oh yea – I also like that this focus on defensive firearms training is a great REASON to buy another 1911! Perhaps a 10mm in the event that we encounter some body armor, knock him off his feet then deal with the situation.


Very strong reassessment.
  #33  
Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 PM
machinegun74 machinegun74 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 45
Posts: 930
Id use my Brown, or Baer depending on which one is pulling guard duty. My wife would be so happy that I saved our bacon Im sure she would spring for a replacement.


Why anyone would consider handing over the gun that they didnt use is insane and asking for jail time.
  #34  
Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
shoot 1911 shoot 1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 89
wrong impression given

You are absolutely correct in that "throw down gun" implies not the one used in self defense.

NOT what my post intended to convey. What I originally intended to state is that I am so impressed with the quality of the EB firearm that I would not like to be without it for the duration of a prolonged investigation. So what I tried to write was that if I were going to shoot someone with a .45 ACP why not use a less costly but still vERY reliable and accurate 1911?

For example a STI Trojan sells for around $999 list price, and by many hands on reports, is a very reliable and accurate shooter. I would rate my missing a STI Trojan somewhat less than doing without my EB Kobra.

Upon further reflection of my original post - THIS IS A TRIVIAL, PETTY and MEANINGLESS PERSPECTIVE on my part in consideration of a lethal force encounter.

Thanks again to the forum for helping me recalibrate my perceptions.
  #35  
Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
hi-capacity hi-capacity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 28
If some POS BG came into your home and caught you by surprise and was about to rape your wife and kill her but said to you right before... give me $5000 and I will leave and not touch her. $50,000?
Would you pay him? I would think so...

So a $1500 dollar handgun makes BG push daisies, in lieu of the aforementioned crime.... Small price to pay. Use whatever works, and put some well placed holes into the scumbag. Worry about the gun later... or get a nice shiny new one to celebrate
  #36  
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
USMM guy USMM guy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 22,411
You saw the error of your thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot 1911 View Post
You are absolutely correct in that "throw down gun" implies not the one used in self defense.

NOT what my post intended to convey. What I originally intended to state is that I am so impressed with the quality of the EB firearm that I would not like to be without it for the duration of a prolonged investigation. So what I tried to write was that if I were going to shoot someone with a .45 ACP why not use a less costly but still vERY reliable and accurate 1911?

For example a STI Trojan sells for around $999 list price, and by many hands on reports, is a very reliable and accurate shooter. I would rate my missing a STI Trojan somewhat less than doing without my EB Kobra.

Upon further reflection of my original post - THIS IS A TRIVIAL, PETTY and MEANINGLESS PERSPECTIVE on my part in consideration of a lethal force encounter.

Thanks again to the forum for helping me recalibrate my perceptions.
And less importantly you were able to own up to it. That speaks well for you.

Keep your powder dry.
  #37  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 PM
exfebee exfebee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 310
In these days of economic issues, the number of crimes has got to go up. We all know that. Survival for the Bad Guys & their families/habits is all important to them. They don't care about the "other guy". We are the victims.. not the BGs. Protect your own self, and families. The most important thing in a shooting is your life & your family. A BG gets waisted too bad for him. I do have a problem with either rifles/shotguns in a house. They are hard to handle in tight spaces such as hallways & small rooms, where as handguns are not. Weapon retention is critical. In a physical confrontation a long barrel weapon can be taken away from you by the BG. A handgun is not as easy to get away. Keep the weapon close to your body also. Sticking it out there like you see dramatized on TV is only an "invite" for the BG to grab the weapon. Then you're up the creek without a paddle. But, a good clear shot with a shotgun will definitely put the hurt on a BG. Most States have statutes which protect a homeowner/person if his life is in danger. Get an attorney & "lawyer-up" as soon as you can. These State Statutes can usually be found here on the Internet under your State Government websites. I have been involved in shootings. It is not a "cake walk". It will change your life forever. My last shooting was over 16 years ago & I still relive it in nightmares ever so often. Just be prepared for that day if it ever comes calling on you. Practice, Practice, Practice.. have a Plan. Your heart will be pounding,your blood pressure will start going through the roof, you will be breathing hard as you pull the trigger. Do Not Miss.You may be the only one who saves your family's lives.
__________________
Retired FBI Agent
Ed Brown Executive Carry, & Special Forces,
S&W 686, 649, 627PC- Original "Blood Work"
Larue 5.56 OBR & Larue PredatAR 5.56
Remington 870s

Last edited by exfebee; 04-16-2010 at 07:42 AM.
  #38  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
capnjim capnjim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: the residential part of Minnesota
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfebee View Post
In these days of economic issues, the number of crimes has got to go up. We all know that. Survival for the Bad Guys & their families/habits is all important to them. They don't care about the "other guy". We are the victims.. not the BGs. Protect your own self, and families. The most important thing in a shooting is your life & your family. A BG gets waisted too bad for him. I do have a problem with either rifles/shotguns in a house. They are hard to handle in tight spaces such as hallways & small rooms, where as handguns are not. A good clear shot with a shotgun will definitely put the hurt on a BG. Most States have statutes which protect a homeowner/person if his life is in danger. Get an attorney & "lawyer-up" as soon as you can. These State Statutes can usually be found here on the Internet under your State Government websites. I have been involved in shootings. It is not a "cake walk". It will change your life forever. My last shooting was over 16 years ago & I still relive it in nightmares ever so often. Just be prepared for that day if it ever comes calling on you. Practice, Practice, Practice.. have a Plan. Your heart will be pounding,your blood pressure will start going through the roof, you will be breathing hard as you pull the trigger. Do Not Miss.You may be the only one who saves your family's lives.
Great post!

And a great, perfect lineup of weapons in your sig!

Regards....
__________________
illegitimati non carborundum
(Big Bullet = Big Hole)
Caveman say - "Big rock is better"
(Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid)
  #39  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
SmilinShooter SmilinShooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 1,096
I have but one life to give... and a safe full of pistols.
__________________
Let's cut down to the brass tacks here... How much for the ape?
  #40  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Pro Raptor Pro Raptor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
The cops took a Colt government .380 a springfield 45 and a 9mm glock from my house in January. I called the sargent on the case and he told me not to worry about my guns that he has some that have been in the sheriffs possesion for thirty five years. . He also told me not to call him about them any more and when they were ready to give them back he would call me. I don't figure to have thirty five left so i went and bought me a new ed brown and a new colt in case i needed some protection.......
Pro raptor
__________________
CooL C
Pro Raptor
  #41  
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Greyson Greyson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Raptor View Post
The cops took a Colt government .380 a springfield 45 and a 9mm glock from my house in January. I called the sargent on the case and he told me not to worry about my guns that he has some that have been in the sheriffs possesion for thirty five years. . He also told me not to call him about them any more and when they were ready to give them back he would call me. I don't figure to have thirty five left so i went and bought me a new ed brown and a new colt in case i needed some protection.......
Pro raptor
You either live in a communist country, a communist state or we don't know the rest of the story.

I will say with the automation of the NCIC (read computers) more and more stolen firearms are returned every day. No one has to work hard. The computer just kicks out the number.

Ask me how I know this.

Regards,
Greyson
  #42  
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Hammond Hammond is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 5,755
I kind of want to hear the rest of this story as well.
__________________
Hammond's Gun & Tackle
Dealer for Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Les Baer

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
  #43  
Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 PM
exfebee exfebee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 310
Yes Greyson & Jerry I do as well. The only thing that law enforcement would want to do is ballistics for slug striations & shell casing hammer pin, & extractor marks. Maybe they might want to dust for fingerprints. But, really what else ? Got to be more as you mentioned. PDs want to turn items in their evidence rooms over & get stuff out of there as soon as they can. Interesting.
__________________
Retired FBI Agent
Ed Brown Executive Carry, & Special Forces,
S&W 686, 649, 627PC- Original "Blood Work"
Larue 5.56 OBR & Larue PredatAR 5.56
Remington 870s
  #44  
Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Pro Raptor Pro Raptor is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
There is more to the story, but I do not want to go into it on a public forum. Maybe someday I can but not now. My only point in this was that if your guns are used it could be a long time to get them back from who ever took them.

Pro Raptor
__________________
CooL C
Pro Raptor
  #45  
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Butthead's Avatar
Butthead Butthead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey (ugh!)
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfebee View Post
I do have a problem with either rifles/shotguns in a house. They are hard to handle in tight spaces such as hallways & small rooms, where as handguns are not. Weapon retention is critical. In a physical confrontation a long barrel weapon can be taken away from you by the BG. A handgun is not as easy to get away. Keep the weapon close to your body also.
How's it going to be taken away from you in a "safe" room, where you should be holed up anyway?

All this talk about "house clearing" drills with your trusty handgun pressed close to your body sounds like television mentality to me. Hole up, point shotgun at safe room door, call 911, and let law enforcement take care of the problem. Then you probably wouldn't have to worry about posessing any "drop" handgun.
  #46  
Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Greyson Greyson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,377
I suspect this thread needs to be closed for the benefit of those presumed innocent.

Regards,
Greyson
  #47  
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Jim V Jim V is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Michigan
Age: 78
Posts: 9,204
A "throw down gun" is not one that you'd use in a self-defense situation to prevent the police from taking your more expensive pistol. It is a gun that "can't" be traced back to you that you would drop at the scene of a shooting to make it look justified.

Thisn't an Ed Brown question, it belonged in Tactics.

If the shooting was good, you'd get your blaster back in short order, if not expect to have a warrant served on you and you will have the chance to wave goodbye to your guns as they take you away in a squad car.

Oh by the way, the thread is now closed.
__________________
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.

Last edited by Jim V; 04-17-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved