1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Clipdraw holster opinions/experiences

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/44...%2BHolsters%2F

Does this seem stupid to anyone else? Does anyone use these??

~~ Al Capone (1899 - 1947)
Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM

I just saw it on a guy behind the counter at my local range. Seemed to be pretty secure and stable after he whiggled it for me. My only concern is that trigger guard is exposed and as such might catch on something causing AD.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Might be OK on a Kel-Tec or similar.

On a Glock,1911,or especially a revolver they seem pretty stupid to me.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 PM

I don't think so. Maybe they can sell them to the guys that costume the actors on NCIS LA. They seem to like that kind of carry. Personally, I wouldn't want one for my full size 1911.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM

i thought that any holster worth it's salt was supposed to cover the trigger and trigger guard, so that it's highly unlikely to catch it on anything. seems like a epic failure situation waiting to happen to me, expecially for something like a glock with no safety.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles007 View Post
i thought that any holster worth it's salt was supposed to cover the trigger and trigger guard, so that it's highly unlikely to catch it on anything. seems like a epic failure situation waiting to happen to me, expecially for something like a glock with no safety.
I agree, you need a holster to cover that trigger guard and safely carry/conceal your gun.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Works for me on XD-40 SC

When I conceal carry my XD-40 SC, I use the universal clipdraw for automatic pistols found here:

http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index....on=show_detail

Safety: For my XD to fire, the safety on the trigger has to be disengaged and the trigger pulled while the grip safety is depressed. I'm not worried about it just as I'm not worried about carrying my 1911 in Condition 1.
Are there safer ways to carry? Of course, but this works for me and I've managed not to shoot myself or have an accidental dscharge.

I wouldn't even think about using it on a 1911 but it works extremely well with my XD. So much so, that I got rid of my Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster and opted for the clipdraw. I haven't had any trouble whatsoever. The clip adheres to the slide with their "very high bond" (double-faced) tape and I have had zero problems with the clip coming loose or with it losing tension. IMO it is very solid and works well, plus, it's very convenient. There were times when I wouldn't carry just because I didn't want to fool with a holster. The clipdraw solves that problem.

Again, I wouldn't use it on my 1911 or my Sig 226 but it works great on my XD.

Last edited by av8or17; 12-13-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Aquired one on a used Glock a few years ago. Before I bought the gun I tried this out (gun unloaded). As soon as the gun was mine I removed the clipdraw. The gun is long gone, the clipdraw is still in my box of misc parts somewhere (I think.) NOT a good idea. IMHO.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:40 PM

When mounted inside the waist band, doesn't that cover the trigger guard? I agree that doesn't seem good for any full sized pistol, but maybe a good alternative to pocket carry for small pistols.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM

I've used one on a Kel-Tec 380 for some time now. Snap it on & you're good to go... Works well on those that have a long trigger pull. Would not use it on a Glock...
Certified Firearms Instructor
Semper Fi
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM

I saw somewhere where the manufacturer says not to carry a Glock with one in the chamber when using it.

I've got a Barami Hip Grip that came on a snubbie revolver I just picked up. It does have some handiness to it. It also has it's problems when actually shooting the gun, but for hanging the gun in a pocket, inside the pants, or a few other ways it works.

Like the others, I don't think I'd like it much on a 1911, and NOT on a Glock, but on few mouse guns or some compacts it might be okay. Maybe the universal on a S&W 915, maybe it would work for a waist band carry, maybe.

A very specialized thing I think. Not for general consumption.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM

My S & W M30 with 3" barrel and a Clip Draw in place. Wore this rig for about 6 months and, while it performed in an okay manner, I eventually removed it and now use a holster. FWIW.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:36 AM

I wouldn't use a clip draw for the safety reasons already mentioned. However, nobody mentioned rusting problems. I have seen guns with the clip draw infected with rust, because of the sweat from carrying against the body. A proper holster gives your gun a shield against your body sweat.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:12 AM

I have extensive experience with clip-draws on 1911s since I carried one daily at work for over 10 years.

As for rust problems, no. I used them with stainless and blued 1911s. No rust. And in all kinds of weather: rain, snow, sleet, hot, cold, sweat, blood, alcohol, bodily fluids, you name it.

My M.O. for a clip-draw is to use it in conjunction with a fanny pack. Should I need to remove the fanny pack for better concealment, VIOLA, 1911 has a clip-draw already attached. Comes in handy when getting through almost all social occasions.

I like them so much, I even bobbed one and have it ready to use on a Kobra Carry.

As for being secure, yes. They are very secure. Personally, I would wear one cross-draw on my left hip. Since the weapon is majorly concealed, nobody was looking for it and I could better admin it and monitor it should the need arise. For me, cross-draw is king with this setup. I can walk, climb stairs, ride for hours in a car, sit in chairs for extended periods of time, attend social functions or public events no issues. In reality, with a pair of jeans on and a good belt, I could casually jog or do a short sprint without it coming out.

As a general rule, people tend to love or hate the clip-draw product. And it generally seems the more "professionally" trained said person is, the less they will like it. That is simple because a holster at 3-5:30 is their whole universe. But those if us who have to carry all day, no exceptions, must be concealed 100% of the time and quite frankly might have to change modes of dress in a 16 hour day, the clip-draw is a winner. In short: Uniformed cops hate them. Undercover cops love them. Both carry weapons. But live in different words.

In closing, having to move (around your body) or remove a weapon surreptitiously is so much harder when there is a holster involved.

Regards,
Greyson

P.S. I only use them on 1911s. I would never, and I mean ever, use one with a weapon that doesn't have a DA trigger or a second safety. But then again, I only use 1911s. It gives me options.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:26 PM

I now its a bit older thread, but with the thumb safety and grip safety, is the lack of a trigger guard that much and issue?

Could always rack the slide on the draw for a third safety.
(if the extra 1 second of that bothers you, then just carry the gun in hand at all times, or just not carry. <sarcasm>)
Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
I now its a bit older thread, but with the thumb safety and grip safety, is the lack of a trigger guard that much and issue?
Did you read the last reply by Greyson?? A couple others addressed it too.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson