Taurus PT1911 - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911?
yes 151 70.89%
no 62 29.11%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM

If you want the truth about PTs you will not find them in a biased internet board...you can spin wheels all day long reading the "I love em" and "I hate em" posts....Sure they can shoot reliably, they can go xxxx rounds before a FTF or the like, but what makes it what it is????

if you want to know the real skinny about Taurus, just ask any competent smith that knows about forgings - their hardness/quality, whether being milspec is important or not, and the quality of parts across the board...you will find out what you need. My opinion holds no water in this arena...but I'm not asking to take my word on it....ask a knowledgable smiff!!

Asking to trust your life is a little misleading...if your PT goes bang everytime then of course.....but know that I am not taking a rubber raft to a boat race...can I trust a rubber raft to save my life??..you betcha!! LOL
NRA Life Member

Last edited by DevilDave1911; 06-03-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDave1911 View Post
any competent smith that knows about forgings - their hardness/quality, whether being milspec is important or not, and the quality of parts across the board
Dave, I doubt that very many competent smiths *assume you mean gun smiths who do custom work on 1911s* are as knowledgeable about metallurgy to the degree you think. Sure they can go great work; but I bet only a hand full even have a Rockwell or Brinell Hardness Tester or know the chemical composition of the steel in the frame. Define MILSPEC used for 1911A1 pistols that the US Government uses. That's MILSPEC. Short for Military Specification; includes minimum and maximum tolerances, sizes, shapes, materials, interchangeability of parts, etc...

I'm an old contracting officer; I know a bit about specs...

My opnion about a gun's performance - does it do what I need or want it to do? Everytime? Do the guns I own and shoot do this? So far; if I wasn't confident in them and my ability to use them I wouldn't carry them. Do I trust my life to the guns I carry? You bet I do.

Here's a thought though. For 4 years I carried a Glock 17 everyday for work and now I carry an H&K USP2000 .40 S&W at work. I know both of these guns have been tested extensively (and have passed contract specifications including performance and failure rates, etc.). That Fusion, or Taurus, or Colt, or Kimber? When you get right down to it - they haven't passed the same rigid tests. Wait? The Kimber SIS that the LAPD bought? Hand built to a contract spec; not the same gun as the over the counter SIS....

I trust my abilities to clear a failure if it happens; we train to respond to the failures on a regular basis; we also train on gun usage if partially incapacitated. Can you lock your 1911 back one handed, get a new magazine, reload, and shoot a threat while under pressure? I can. I'm not bragging; but like you say there's a whole lot more to gun reliability and performance then # of rounds or metallurgy. Heck each Colt Python, a very high quality revolver was individually hand finished - can't interchange parts but those Pythons can shoot...

A lot of factors determine reliability; lots of money per unit isn't necessarily a measure of reliability.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
The funny thing is that MOST 1911 manufacturers are using MIM parts now a-days and even using cast frames and slides instead of forged... Taurus uses Forged frames and slides (unless otherwise noted) and they also supply many, many other manufacturers with MIM parts since they manufacturer their MIM parts "in-house" ... I would not be surprised if Springfield used MIM supplied by Taurus since they are made in Brazil as well.

Which manufacturers out there use all forged parts?
Not all Metal Injected Mold parts are equal. Not all inspection and standards for inspection are equal. Tolerances are different. Quality of the labor force available has impact on finished product. Quality of the raw materials is a factor. Expectations of consistancy is higher with higher priced firearms.
I'd buy a Taurus in a heartbeat if they made a Commander, with out all the crap written on the sides...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM

The question was...

would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911. That's a yes or no question. While it's great to hear stories and experiences with or about this example of a 1911, the real answer should be based on whether you think it will go bang if you squeeze the trigger.

If you base your answer on an assumption that it might not, and thus could not unequivocally answer "yes" to the question, then you would have to respond the same for any 1911. There are no guarantees with any of them, low-priced, high-priced, off the shelf or custom. And if someone chooses to disagree with that, so be it. But, if so, I would present a challenge that we should meet at a place of your choosing, with any 1911 you choose, and shoot it until it fails "to go bang" when you squeeze the trigger. Because I assure you that that, at some point, will occur. And that could be the trigger squeeze that was required to save your life.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
Not all Metal Injected Mold parts are equal. Not all inspection and standards for inspection are equal. Tolerances are different. Quality of the labor force available has impact on finished product. Quality of the raw materials is a factor. Expectations of consistancy is higher with higher priced firearms.
I'd buy a Taurus in a heartbeat if they made a Commander, with out all the crap written on the sides...LOL
Very good post. Some castings are amazing, look at Caspians which use cast frames. They used to make a forged frame but the interest wasn't there because of the price. Now they use a cast product which is state of the art that is about as strong as a good forging. I think sometimes you need to remember that if it works, great, if it doesn't... crap happens. I would prefer no MIM just because of the quality control issues. You have seen kimbers with MIM last for 20,000 rounds, then others that only go for 100. Same with Taurus, some do great, some not so much. I know when it comes down to it, I don't count Kimber as a "Quality" maker. Yea their fit and finish may be better, but good lord they turned into just a mass production pistol. Now Dan Wesson is using No MIM parts, which is right about $1000. It is all in just what you want, and what you want to pay. There is no right or wrong, just what you like to shoot.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911. That's a yes or no question. While it's great to hear stories and experiences with or about this example of a 1911, the real answer should be based on whether you think it will go bang if you squeeze the trigger.

If you base your answer on an assumption that it might not, and thus could not unequivocally answer "yes" to the question, then you would have to respond the same for any 1911. There are no guarantees with any of them, low-priced, high-priced, off the shelf or custom. And if someone chooses to disagree with that, so be it. But, if so, I would present a challenge that we should meet at a place of your choosing, with any 1911 you choose, and shoot it until it fails "to go bang" when you squeeze the trigger. Because I assure you that that, at some point, will occur. And that could be the trigger squeeze that was required to save your life.
While I agree somewhat with what you have said I think anyone can make a good decision on what gun will run longer than another even if the same platform is being discussed. My old beater SA runs better than .5% failures while some I see run at 3-6%. might be cleaning, reloads or other issues but the fact remains that just because they all will fail eventually does not mean that we have to choose one because it's close to the same thing.......

Just because it will accure at some point does not mean we should not do everything possible with in reason to minimize it.....

FWIW

Tony
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911. That's a yes or no question.

Yes I would.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litman252 View Post
While I agree somewhat with what you have said I think anyone can make a good decision on what gun will run longer than another even if the same platform is being discussed. My old beater SA runs better than .5% failures while some I see run at 3-6%. might be cleaning, reloads or other issues but the fact remains that just because they all will fail eventually does not mean that we have to choose one because it's close to the same thing.......

Just because it will accure at some point does not mean we should not do everything possible with in reason to minimize it.....

FWIW

Tony
I agree completely. The key to any potentially reliable and effective 1911 is to determine what it takes to make it as reliable and effective as possible. That will vary from gun to gun. It's like Indy race cars. Each crew does something a little different, with an automobile that has the potential to win, to accomplish victory. Only one truely succeeds, I suppose, but they all make the attempt based on what they have evaluated as the tweaks and adjustments needed to eek the max performance from the car. There are certainly other factors involved in any race. Luck and the driver for sure.

In the case of protecting one's life, a bit of luck is most likely also involved...and the shooter (driver) has to at least be good enough to point the gun (car) in the right direction.

Last edited by reflex; 06-04-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: left words out...duh...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I agree completely. The key to any potentially reliable and effective 1911 is to determine what it takes to make it as reliable and effective as possible. That will vary from gun to gun. It's like Indy race cars. Each crew does something a little different, with an automobile that has the potential to win, to accomplish victory. Only one truely succeeds, I suppose, but they all make the attempt based on what they have evaluated as the tweaks and adjustments needed to eek the max performance from the car. There are certainly other factors involved in any race. Luck and the driver for sure.

In the case of protecting one's life, a bit of luck is most likely also involved...and the shooter (driver) has to at least be good enough to point the gun (car) in the right direction.
As someone famous once said: Sometimes its better to not say anything and be thought dumb, than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM

I had one for a while. It was accurate, reliable and easy to shoot well. But, I said no to carry for one reason, the grip safety just didn't work for me, which is why I sold it. Due to its popularity, I got good re-sale value. Overall, I think it is a good value. I do want to try the new 9mm version.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicemon View Post
As someone famous once said: Sometimes its better to not say anything and be thought dumb, than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Then why did you choose to speak?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:12 PM

The grip safety is an easily altered problem. There are a lot of styles out there. There are people who cannot use high priced 1911s for the same reason.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:13 PM

To the firest post. If I didn't have my Colt 1911, then I guess yes I would.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicemon View Post
Do you always go trolling for trouble? If this is a attempt to hijack this thread from it's original intent then go somewhere else or stay with the original question.

Good Day,
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 PM

I will say yes... so far it's never failed.

Taurus 1911 DT,Taurus PT 99,steyr 9mm ,Ruger P345
Ruger 44 blackhawk hunter ,Ruger 357 blackhawk
Series I Kimber Gold match ,Kimber Ultra carry ,DPMS AR 15, & 6 more
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Why wouldn't I? See Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvFKbk4D-K8

Luke 22:36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Xm7Cpvll4 Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "FirearmPop" for more videos. Thanks