Mail thefts up - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2020, 12:10 PM

Mail thefts up

Although it's totally anecdotal mail and package thefts appear to AT LEAST doubled in my zip code.

I have a Ring doorbell & driveway camera. And I also subscribe to their community forum.

I also watch Nextdoor, a local site where people post their incidents. Mail theft, per the postings I'm seeing, have increased dramatically since this Covid stuff started. I suspect all the factors we have discussed elsewhere plus two more specific ones:

Door deliveries are way up right now, of course. So lots of stuff on porches.

Also, the crooks know that unemployment, & soon, stimulus checks will be sent out.

This might be a good time to harden your mailbox situation.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:38 PM

These rocket scientists probably think.

That the checks are already in the mail. And that they can just take them and cash them anywhere. All of mine goes to a P.O. box.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:45 PM

Yes, plus some of these cats can, or will try to, wash the checks. It's a common technique.

I just pulled the non-functioning lock cylinder out of my mailbox door. I will see if I can get a key or a complete replacement tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 01:07 PM

There used to be a bunch of places in New Orleans.

That would cash just about any government check for anybody with no questions asked. As long as they got their cut of course. I am not sure if they ever shut them down or not, probably not.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Although it's totally anecdotal mail and package thefts appear to AT LEAST doubled in my zip code......
.....Which is pretty brazen given the massive increase in the number of folks working at home during the day.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:31 PM

Have ad a PO Box for as long as we've lived here; very secure, and, if we didn't go to the PO how would we get the local news. PO used to be in the local general store just down the road; that was very convenient as folks all gathered there for mail and sundries.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:34 PM

I live in a rural area and rented a P.O. Box when I moved here 25 years ago. If I were to move into a city, I would rent a P.O. box.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:37 PM

I had some mail stolen like 15 years ago. I found out when a postal inspector sent me a letter informing my of it. The stolen mail included some outgoing checks. I since installed a large lockable mail box. Will hold a week or more of mail and a couple small packages. Any outgoing payments are taken to the post office.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:07 PM

I had a guy come by last Saturday. Stopped at my mailbox. I opened the blinds so he
could see I was watching, and he started to move (I had retrieved everything about
ten minutes earlier). I opened the door with a .45 in hand and he suddenly felt the need
for his presence elsewhere.

My bet is . . . that . . . guy will not likely try mine again. Someone else? I'll bet on it.

P.S. Same guy tried at my daughter's place about a half hour earlier (3/4 mile away).
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 AM

Our mail lady always honks the horn so we know she is on her way and as for every other delivery we picked up a lock box at Costco.
I have see people following the mail lady looking in mailboxes and throwing the mail on the ground. I guess they were looking for checks.
I have also seen porch pirates attempting to ply their trade here until they see me taking pictures of them and their car/license plate.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:16 PM

I drop my outgoing checks off at the post office. Never leave them in my box for pickup.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:24 PM

If you guys had any idea how many thieves work for the USPS you would never give them anything valuable. I worked for the main USPS office in downtown St. Louis. They had security cameras watching all of us all of the time everywhere and guys would still steal stuff (and you wouldn't believe the stuff employees tried to steal). I saw a guy take a payroll check for a large chain of grocery stores in town in excess of $50,000 and stick it down his shirt. UPS and FEDEX are not much better. If your item is valuable - insure it.