Seeing as we might be heading into a new components shortage. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 09:51 PM

Seeing as we might be heading into a new components shortage.

What are you going to run out of first? Lately I am about clean out of the plastic boxes that we store loaded rounds in. For some reason Sportsman's warehouse has been out of them for a couple of months. They are the only place around me that sells them. The flip side to that is that I have plenty of loaded ammo.

But if things stay scarce going forward, bullets will be my Achilles heel. Brass, powder, and primers I am good on.

How about you?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:11 PM

I was getting low on bullets and ordered 2000 9s from X-Treme before the virus hit.
They should be in this week, I hope.
No reason you can't order bullets on line.
That meets "social distancing" requirements, doesn't it?

Bought 500 147s this weekend (it wasn't panic! Just stocking up)
And 500 230 grain 45s. I was completely out.

I found 2000 primers at Academy this weekend (at 4.2 cents a pop!)
That made the primer box look less anemic.

Casting lead would be a nice thing to acquire.
I have 5 or 6 pounds, and that's not much.
About a full pot full.
It would make a few 9s but only a handful of 45s.

Powder coated cast lead 9s work fine up to around 1000 fps or so.

Last edited by cavelamb; 03-22-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:19 AM

I'll run out of 45 cal bullets first but then I just have to step away from the computer, fire up the melting pot and cast more.
I still have plenty of powder and primers from the 2012 shortage.
But it's all moot at the moment because our beloved range is shut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 06:07 AM

I’m actually in a good spot. I took advantage of the low prices for the last couple of years. Now is exactly the time to bring up the question about “validity of loading 9mm and 223”. Just three months ago, many have said it’s not worth it, completely disregarding the fact that there will be something that upsets the Apple cart like right now. You can’t find a box of 9mm at my local store. Online is jacked and will be out soon. 223 will be right behind it.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But if things stay scarce going forward, bullets will be my Achilles heel. Brass, powder, and primers I am good on.
This is my position as well... I'm lowest on projectiles, but OK for a while
Old 03-23-2020, 08:27 AM

I can't believe I have to worry about this now too. I'm probably getting myself some 9mm and .357/38 dies. Either those, or 308 dies and a case trimmer.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 AM

I went from having 45acp bullets and feeling prepared for a shortage to having nothing and panicking, all thanks to a screw up on Hornady's end. My XTP's diameters are between .446 and .447 depending on the bullet. So be wary if your waiting to receive their promotional bullets.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
I’m actually in a good spot. I took advantage of the low prices for the last couple of years. Now is exactly the time to bring up the question about “validity of loading 9mm and 223”. Just three months ago, many have said it’s not worth it, completely disregarding the fact that there will be something that upsets the Apple cart like right now. You can’t find a box of 9mm at my local store. Online is jacked and will be out soon. 223 will be right behind it.
You’re absolutely right.
I started reloading 9x19 about four years ago. I shot 100 factory rounds through my GINNC just to have some to reload. Coincidentally, I joined a range. The floor was littered with 9; no one picked it up - I would ask the shooters if I could have it: “Sure, I’ll push it your way;” I now have 20K cases and have reloaded all the rounds that I’ve fired through that pistol. Since I had to buy the brass I bought the bullets. I was laughed at but probably won’t be now.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.

Last edited by july19; 03-23-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:22 PM

My bullet order was in my town all weekend and instead of being out for delivery, it took a side trip to Peoria, IL.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
What are you going to run out of first? ...
Nothing

I am set for a good while on projectiles, primers, powder and brass

Lesson learned from 2009-2014

Used discretionary funds every month to make sure I could keep reloading and shooting. Remember now how many "1 cent hazmat and free shipping" sales over the last few years? Bunch O people are now in the Shoulda Woulda Coulda category at this point in time.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 03-23-2020, 01:55 PM

Yeah, it was nice to go into the garage and look on the shelves and think, "I'm pretty good", since I have more spare time all of a sudden, I'll probably start to run low on components but at least all my ammo boxes will be full.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
Yeah, it was nice to go into the garage and look on the shelves and think, "I'm pretty good", since I have more spare time all of a sudden, I'll probably start to run low on components but at least all my ammo boxes will be full.
Absolutely, Still well stocked on 22 and enough ready to go main calibers loaded. Sitting ok on components and powder. I remembered the shortages from the obama years. Keep yourself stocked and prepared.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:31 PM

I was running low on jacketed bullets a couple weeks ago and ordered some 9mm and 380 JHPs from US Reloading Supply (the only vendor that had 90 gr. Gold Dots). I got some of the 380 bullets but the 9mm were "out of stock". No big deal for me as I have mebbe 200 jacketed bullets for my 9mm pistols and about 1/2 ton of good bullet alloy.

Whenever my father was asked "Are you ready?", his answer 98% of the time was "I stay ready so I don't have to get ready". I am well prepared for any shortage of components and have weathered the last 3 just fine. I stay ready...
Old 03-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july19 View Post
Youíre absolutely right.
I started reloading 9x19 about four years ago. I shot 100 factory rounds through my GINNC as just to have some to reload. Coincidentally, I joined a range. The floor was littered with 9; no one picked it up - I would ask the shooters if I could have it: ďSure, Iíll push it your way;Ē I now have 20K cases and have reloaded all the rounds that Iíve fired through that pistol. Since I had to buy the brass I bought the bullets. I was laughed at but probably wonít be now.
Oh no, nobody's laughing....that's for sure!
Just like JamieC says, it gives you a warm feeling knowing you are set!
All that's left is to kick the chair out from under the guys at the gun show selling 22 for $75 a brick...
Old 03-23-2020, 05:11 PM

Projectiles are the only thing that I am a little shy on right now. Thank goodness I got in a few thousand 9mm a month or so ago to add to my stock before the crazy started. I donít shoot that much anyway, so between my loaded ammo and the components I have on hand, Iím good for quite awhile.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 PM

I bought a lot of goodies before the 2016 elections. For various reasons I haven't loaded, or done much shooting since then so I'm still good. If you are low on something, bullets are the best thing to be low on. After the sandy hook coward bullets were by far the most available component. Powder and primers were like finding unicorns. I'd run out of 45 bullets first but with the bullets/loaded ammo I have, it would take a long time.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:29 PM

I am stocked to medium levels. Not great. All shooting clubs, ranges and matches I can reach are closed...so also not great.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:32 PM

I’m in real good shape, just been reloading what I shoot on the weekend throughout the week as every piece of brass I have is now loaded. I stocked up with enough components to load 6,000 plus rounds in January when I bought my progressive press & probably wont need to start getting into that stash for several weeks at the rate I’m going. A guy’s gotta have a hobby
Old 03-23-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
Nothing

I am set for a good while on projectiles, primers, powder and brass

Lesson learned from 2009-2014

Used discretionary funds every month to make sure I could keep reloading and shooting. Remember now how many "1 cent hazmat and free shipping" sales over the last few years? Bunch O people are now in the Shoulda Woulda Coulda category at this point in time.
Ha! all those penny hazmat days and primer rebates are the exact reason I'm lopsided in my own components stash!

Projectiles were disproportionately NOT on sale, like the rest of the components.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:49 PM

I stocked up a couple months ago, and will run out of nothing before the end of the year.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 PM

Been stocking up for the last 4 years. All those who thought I was wasting money are the ones crying while I'm shooting.

I still have 4 5gal buckets of wheel weights just in case. I think I can sit out this panic.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:55 PM

I have been stocking up for years as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Been stocking up for the last 4 years. All those who thought I was wasting money are the ones crying while I'm shooting.

I still have 4 5gal buckets of wheel weights just in case. I think I can sit out this panic.
As I have been getting a little older. I have begun to question (a little bit) the wisdom of tying up so much money in things that I will likely never need. More recently I have begun to feel a bit more vindicated in my resolve to do so all of these years. And my wife very much supports this view.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:58 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Iím actually in a good spot. I took advantage of the low prices for the last couple of years. Now is exactly the time to bring up the question about ďvalidity of loading 9mm and 223Ē. Just three months ago, many have said itís not worth it, completely disregarding the fact that there will be something that upsets the Apple cart like right now. You canít find a box of 9mm at my local store. Online is jacked and will be out soon. 223 will be right behind it.
That's why I bailed on 5.56 years ago. I've got 2000 rds of .277 Wolverine sitting here, plus brass that I haven't converted yet, and a couple mason jars full of Gold Dot pulls. We won't even go into .45 ACP, .45 Colt, or .44 Mag midrange.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-24-2020, 03:52 AM

After 2012 and being condemned to the left coast I was adamant about building up a complete inventory of primers, powder, brass and bullets for my pistols. When we moved back to Texas🇨🇱 a year ago my SUV was way overloaded with my reloading supplies. I'm fully stocked for about 5 years of heavy shooting.

Happiness is having high quality guns and Lots-O-Ammo. Screw the cost.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
That's why I bailed on 5.56 years ago. I've got 2000 rds of .277 Wolverine sitting here, plus brass that I haven't converted yet, and a couple mason jars full of Gold Dot pulls. We won't even go into .45 ACP, .45 Colt, or .44 Mag midrange.
The .277 is a perfect reason to load your own. Go and find that on any store shelf for $6.99 a box!