Do You Expect More Home Invasions? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 11:41 AM

Do You Expect More Home Invasions?

My expectation is....yes. IF this coronavirus crisis does not end soon.
My guess is..we will first see a spike in business burglary (closed now in many areas-and tempting).

Then as time goes on, with people becoming more needy AND they gain experience in burglary-you will see home invasions/hot prowls climb. With so many people staying home, it will be increasingly difficult to find unoccupied houses.

And, just as important, criminals frequently escalate
behavior as they gain experience.

What do folks here think?
Old 03-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Administrator

I agree.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:04 PM

I wish otherwise, but I fear your assessment will prove true, looking at the Country as a whole.

The degree to which this may likely occur will differ from city to city and place to place. But when it is all added up, nation-wide, it's hard to expect anything other than an uptick.

As always, better to be prepared and later "not need it" than to be naively unaware of likely risks, or in this case, a likely increase in existing risks.

For those folks (mostly types not on our Forum) who believe that a 911 call is sufficient protection, that 911 call in the coming days also might not yield a normal response time.

Especially in places where convicts have been released (there's a separate thread discussing various aspects of this subject).

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-21-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 12:41 PM

I would expect to see an uptick in home invasions for all of the reasons stated.

Additionally that this would have greater degrees of success in some areas than others. Around where I live, I do not see home invasions as being a good career choice. Where some of my relatives live, I could see it working pretty well, at least for a while.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
..... Around where I live, I do not see home invasions as being a good career choice....
I love the way you've phrased this. +1911

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 03-21-2020, 01:59 PM

Yes. I do expect this.

First targets will be businesses in poor areas. For legitimate necessities & opportunistic theft of valuables. Maybe combined with rioting or maybe not. This is City Center stuff.

Second targets will be their own, similarly struggling neighbors. Sad but true.

Third targets will likely be Middle-Class folks on the fringe of bad areas & it will fan out from there.

It won't be Mad Max Armageddon but individual burglaries. Some probably "hot"

An uptick of auto burglaries as well, of course.

I assessed our new house for weak & strong points. Our best spot happens to be our master bedroom. It's only accessible from a long, elevated causeway. Essentially a bridge. That's a long Funnel Of Death for any intruders.

Distance to our softest entry point is 45 feet from the MBR door. That's about a 4" spread for 00 Buckshot. I have rifle sights on my 870.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:03 PM

Meanwhile, out in the rural areas, I expect just a small uptick in the meth/ pill junkies thefty realm that has already been a problem for awhile.

I think our friends in the sticks will suffer far less overall than urban dwellers.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Living in the sticks has certain obvious advantages; quick 911 response time aint one of 'em. Low ass hole density is a plus though.

You all stay safe.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Agreed on all points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
Living in the sticks has certain obvious advantages; quick 911 response time aint one of 'em. Low ass hole density is a plus though.

You all stay safe.
Around here we only have one Sheriff's deputy on call at night. It might take him an hour or more to get to your house. The upside is that we have four centuries of case law here in VA. No need for a stand your ground law.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:06 PM

Yes, in the sticks the a-holes are spread out over a larger area.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Around where I live, I do not see home invasions as being a good career choice.
Governor Murphy, what are you (and a few "yes sir" LEO's) doing out so late sneaking around law-abiding NJ citizens houses?

And no, I don't have any firearms (or anything else you think can be deadly) in the house anywhere. Remember, I thought I told you already about that unfortunate canoe accident I had.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:50 PM

Home invasions in Florida IMHO will not happen that much, especially with a lot of people working from home or on work leave. Felons are very aware this is Florida not NY or Commifornia. Most people in Florida are armed to the hilt!
Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM

Good question. it is hard to tell. There has been a lot of panic buying of firearms and ammo around here as people prepare for the worst. Kind of like the Katrina panic. If home invasions do increase there will be a lot o dead home invaders. Predators like easy prey; and they may turn to other nefarious conduct rather home invasion. Like breaking into and looting cars, when one is asleep, for anything they can steal or sell.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy9 View Post
My expectation is....yes. IF this coronavirus crisis does not end soon.
My guess is..we will first see a spike in business burglary (closed now in many areas-and tempting).

Then as time goes on, with people becoming more needy AND they gain experience in burglary-you will see home invasions/hot prowls climb. With so many people staying home, it will be increasingly difficult to find unoccupied houses.

And, just as important, criminals frequently escalate
behavior as they gain experience.

What do folks here think?
I think they'll just get dead.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 PM

No, not really.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:26 PM

In my area on Lawnguyland we have our fair share of push-ins already -- I haven't answered my door to strangers in years --- now I'll go to the door with pistol in hand --

And Epstein didn't kill himself
Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 PM

I answered my door with gun in hand.

She just dropped her Thin Mints & ran away.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:20 PM

Considering where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I answered my door with gun in hand.

She just dropped her Thin Mints & ran away.
I am a little bit surprised that a swat team did not show up at your house shortly afterwords. I am guessing that she did not raise the red flag.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 AM

^^^
^^^

Lips sealed.

There might be some late night humor, of sorts, here. Perhaps even a double entendre, though I'm not sure I'm sharp enough, especially at this hour, to accurately discern.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-22-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:44 AM

It won't surprise me but much depends on how long this things lasts.

Firstly, if food and critical supplies become unobtainable for any significant length of time, then the pillaging will start.

Secondly, we may also see several other waves as the financial impacts play out...people out of work and unable to buy critical items for themselves and family. This could be a fairly protracted problem related to the duration of this mess and obviously people are in different stages of financial risk. Some have very little to fall back on. Some will be good for a month or two, some may be good for six months. It just depends on how long this continues.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:43 AM

With people working from home, I don't think you'll see it happening in middle or upper level areas. But I still have my AR fully loaded with six spare mags ready, and my KSG shotgun set with 14 rounds of #1 Buck. Now that they're releasing scumbags from jail and not arresting or prosecuting for certain felonies, there will be no option but to perform our own law enforcement.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:49 AM

I would say that those areas in danger of seeing an increase in the the number of home invasions, are areas that are already at risk. I don't see this turning "good neighborhoods into bad neighborhoods.

Now......scumbags might travel to newer neighborhood's......but not on any expansive scale. But if I'm wrong, it could get quite entertaining.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:13 PM

Donít forget that the ego-maniacal politicians are announcing that only felons will be pursued and jailed, only active crimes will be responded to, no renters will be evicted for non-payment, etc.

For those that do not have the strongest moral background, these announcements remove many deterrents.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:55 PM

When an economy collapses (from prospective of those persons out-of-work and broke), when convicts are concurrently released, and when, in addition to all of that, police work is significantly curtailed and announced as such, it's really hard to feel that one remains just as safe as before in his home.

The neighborhood of my current home still feels generally safe; and no reports of increased crime on the community's webpage. But like probably everyone else participating in this thread, I'm all too aware that things can quickly change.

Panhandlers on major thoroughfares just outside of the immediate neighborhood appear to be having harder times. Not much traffic passing through "their" intersections, and no one wants to roll down car windows and risk getting face to face with them.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-22-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 PM

The Thin Mints incident was a joke.