Well finally the weather is going to give me a break. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-29-2020, 01:36 PM

Well finally the weather is going to give me a break.

I found an old Eotech to put on the REC-7 that showed up the other day. We will get some better glass going forward. But for making noise, the Eotech should work fine.

Dragged a case of IMI M-193 out and off to the range, stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0063.jpg   IMG_0064.jpg  
Old 02-29-2020, 02:14 PM

That’s a good lookin blaster, the EoTech actually looks at home on the Rec 7.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:47 PM

Looks like fun.

I'm really jonesing for the Echo II since I have that stripped lower with a U.S. Government Property M16A2 rollmark coming that also has the Burst marking in the right spot.

I had an Eotech on my DDM4V5, but moved it over to a Panzer Arms AR12. We'll eventually see how that works out.

Look forward to the results of today.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 03:57 PM

USMM Guy-- We live west of you in the Alleghenies and our winter has been so mild that our shooting has hardly taken a hit. Stop by our range several times a week to fire a couple of mags on the way out to get the mail. We've even been able to get up on the mountain to shoot some LR rifle which is a rarity most winters. Have had many days in the 50s and we are glad we don't own the local ski area.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:28 PM

I hear you about the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
USMM Guy-- We live west of you in the Alleghenies and our winter has been so mild that our shooting has hardly taken a hit. Stop by our range several times a week to fire a couple of mags on the way out to get the mail. We've even been able to get up on the mountain to shoot some LR rifle which is a rarity most winters. Have had many days in the 50s and we are glad we don't own the local ski area.
But over here in the Blue ridge, it has been either cold or rainy. Finally got out yesterday though. It was really just a shake out/ out of the box shoot. It came with a set of cheap Magpul back up sights that really did not do justice to the rifle. So I lost those pretty quick. We may get another set of steel 45 degree angled irons at some point but not today.

As mentioned I had an old Eotech that snapped right on it of course . After getting it dialed in it worked fine. As stated it was just a shake out shoot for form and function. Kind of hard to get real accuracy measurements with an Eotech anyway. We will see down the road when I get a good pet load for it loaded up. Something on the order of a 70 Grain Barnes TSX on top of a healthy load of Varget.

Anyway I snagged some IMI M-193. Which the IMI stuff is nothing if not consistent. Funny thing that I noticed. When I read the product description on Eurooptics web site. They indicated an A-2 flash hider. The flash hider is actually a three prong job which I like a little better. It reminded me of the ones that we had on our Galils back when we were doing Commando raids in the Laotian highlands. They tended to catch every vine in the jungle, but the upside of them was that they made a great wire cutter for BOB wire. Noisy but effective.

As for the range. After getting dialed in it was pretty much hit a 4" gong all day long from 150 yards, or at least as long as I paid attention. This was from a standing position. No great feat of accuracy. But I found out what I wanted to know. After about three hundred rounds I just got tired of doing it. All in all I am sold on the rifle. The 45 degree throw on the safety instead of a ninety degree throw is going to take a little getting used to. But no show stopper for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.jpg  

Last edited by USMM guy; 03-01-2020 at 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
The 45 degree throw on the safety instead of a ninety degree throw is going to take a little getting used to. But no show stopper for sure.
Put a ambi short throw selector switch in my Daughter’s AR. I liked it so much that I put one in three of my other rifles. The Seekins switch can be installed at the normal 90° or the 60° short throw.

The more I see your Rec7, the more I dig it. One day I’d like to own a really high end DI AR, cause I fell in love with the first Knight’s that I handled.

If I recall, you also have a Noveske, if so, how does the feel and performance of the Barrett compare?
Attached Thumbnails
61D3AF08-0DE3-4EE0-BB26-EAFC9DF72B31.jpeg   F0B030AF-5961-4905-B529-8A3B62462BE7.jpeg  
Old 03-02-2020, 12:45 PM

I do have a Noveske.

If I had to give the nod to one or the other. I would likely take the REC-7. The fit and finish is just incredible. And the bolt carrier seems to be built a little more solidly. But they are both pretty close.

I am going to have to take them and shoot them side by side though for an accuracy check. The Noveske sports a stainless barrel. and the REC-7 wears a chrome lined barrel, which Noveske provided as an option. According to them (Noveske) the stainless barrel will provide better accuracy. But a chrome lined barrel will last longer. So we will check it out down the line. I wanted to get another good AR as in will not break under heavy use. I got the wife to agree to take a class with me this summer. I have a 1X6 optic on the Noveske and a 1X8 optic on the AR-10. So I think that I am going to go with a 1X4 optic on this Barrett. We are looking at a SBR or possibly even a brace pistol down the road.