Springs?? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 09:10 PM

Springs??

I want to learn more about the consequences, both pro and con of various combinations of recoil springs/main springs, and the radius of the firing pin stop.
Have read that the original 1911 spec for the recoil spring was ~14 lbs.
Now, with recoil springs in the 14>18 range being common, and at least 3 different radii of firing pin stops,, plus 4>5 weights of mainsprings,, we can have somewhere around 60>70, or so, combinations.
For a 5in gun, using standard 230/fmj ball ammo, not +P, nor weak target stuff.
What combos work the best, and why,, are their any "magic numbers", so to speak??
Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 PM

I use 16lb recoil and 23lb mainsprings for all my 5" 1911's. Both in my two Baers and my Colt. I also use Harrison small radius firing pin stops in all three. In my Baer Stinger and my Colt's Combat Commander, 18lb recoil and 23lb mainsprings plus the Harrison stops in both. All function just fine with my full power 230gr handloads and 230gr Golden Sabers and Gold Dots.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 02-26-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
What combos work the best, and why,, are their any "magic numbers", so to speak??
There are no magic numbers because each pistol, shooter, and ammo is different. All you can do is work from an established baseline to find the combination that works best for you.

I generally run 14lb recoil springs, 23 lb mainsprings, and flat bottom firing pin stops in 5" 1911s but there are two that need 16lb recoil springs because of the way they are fit. In 4.25" 1911s I generally run 16lb recoil springs, 23lb mainsprings, and flat bottom firing pin stops.

If you read through the Wolff website on 1911 springs, you'll find the factory standard springs weights for various 1911 models.

My SOP is to run the lightest possible recoil spring consistent with 100% functioning. That means I'll go with a flat bottom firing pin stop, a 23lb mainspring, and work my way down recoil spring weights until I try one that doesn't return the pistol to battery every time as I shoot off-hand and with the weakest grip I can muster. Then I'll go up two pounds or so and that's the recoil spring I use.

Here's a video for your consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUecHstU4QQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 04:18 AM

The recoil spring was never designed or intended to act as a shock absorber for the slide. Any reduction it makes is very tiny and not of much consequence. The recoil spring only has one function - to return the slide forward, strip a round off the mag and place the barrel fully into battery. That's all. The mainspring and the firing pin stop's radius are what actually slows the slide's speed down.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Perdido View Post
I use 16lb recoil and 23lb mainsprings for all my 5" 1911's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
I generally run 14lb recoil springs, 23 lb mainsprings, and flat bottom firing pin stops in 5" 1911s but there are two that need 16lb
My SOP is to run the lightest possible recoil spring consistent with 100% functioning. That means I'll go with a flat bottom firing pin stop, a 23lb mainspring,

Here's a video for your consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUecHstU4QQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
The mainspring and the firing pin stop's radius are what actually slows the slide's speed down.
Just the kind of info I'm wanting. The consensus seems to be the 16/23 combination as a starting point,, and perhaps being able to go a bit lighter on the recoil spring.
Thanks for that video,, being able to see in slow motion the "dwell" time, where the slide kinda "hangs" at the back of its stroke with different spring weights was enlightening.
Looks like I need to get some new springs of known weight,, I have a few, but have lost track of the weights and round-counts of them.