magazine question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 07:56 PM

magazine question

Picked up a Gold Cup National Match a few days ago. Serial number says it was made in 1982. 12xxxn70
Got the cardboard box it allegedly came in, with some original springs and parts. (sear) No original papers.

Only one magazine... a rather well worn 7-rounder, but seems to be okay.

Pic is attached of base plate. (M for metalform?)

My question is: What magazine(s) would the gun originally have shipped with? Is what came with it likely to be original, or just a knock-off?
Attached Thumbnails
magpic.jpg  
Old 02-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Looks like a proper Colt mag made by Metalform. I'd say it's the correct one. Colt used Metalform as their supplier for most of the 1980s and 1990s before switching to Checkmate.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:51 PM

As Dsk said. It is a Metalform magazine, as well as being OEM for that gun. It's more than likely one of the original mags.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Looks like a proper Colt mag made by Metalform. I'd say it's the correct one. Colt used Metalform as their supplier for most of the 1980s and 1990s before switching to Checkmate.
I just want to add that Colt still uses Metalform mags, but for .38 Super. I haven't looked at my Delta Elite's factory mags that closely nor did I take any photos of them so I have no idea who provided the mags for Colt. The same with the 9mm, although I don't know why but the thought of the 9mm Colt factory mag was Check-Mate kept spinning in my head.

Photos of Colt mags top to bottom: .45 ACP that came with my Gold Cup Trophy, .38 Super that came with my various Colts (Competition, Gold Cup Lite, Classic, National Match, et al).

Old 02-16-2020, 06:58 AM

Thanks, guys...

I want to put it back as close as i can to original.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM

In that case at least you won't need a different mag.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:18 PM

That is like the mag I got with my 79 GCNM I bought new that year. Lovely pistol.

It came in the Styrofoam inside cardboard box. You got the one 7 round mag which was in the pistol and one recoil spring which was in the pistol. One did get the little envelope with a small Allen wrench, a bushing wrench with Colt stamped on it and the interesting key fob screw driver which again had Colt stamped on it. Below the box etc from my 1979.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 PM

I run Mec Gar Magazines in my colts. Never a failure
Old 03-18-2020, 08:35 PM

I have two 70 series, a 1980 GCNM and A 1982 Combat Government and they both came with the original mags, the same as yours, 7 round with the M marking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nick Rice; 03-19-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:06 PM

If that magazine seems to have some mileage on it then you should buy some magazine springs and toss the old one. Go to Wolff's website and buy them by the 3 pack. Any time a magazine starts to misfeed the last round replace the spring. Extra power springs are available from Wolff and will make any magazine more reliable. The springs that most factories install in their magazines are poor quality.