Had my Butt Rounded - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 02:13 PM

Had my Butt Rounded

No not like Kim Kardashian, I'm talking about my third Wilson Combat Carry Comp! It started like as a basic Carry Comp Compact 9mm with a Bronze Frame with a square butt. All of my WCs are 9mm Compacts with Magwells, so they all have a rounded butt. In the interest consistency, I sent off my recently purchased carry comp back to Wilson to have the butt rounded. I just prefer the way the rounded butt feels in the palm of my hand.

Pre-Butt Rounding:

It Certainly Shot Well Enough with a Square Butt!

WITH the Rounded Butt:

Tucks away very nicely inside my waistband with my Tucker DC-2:

Still Shoots Pretty Good Too!

Joking aside, this particular Wilson has the tightest slide to frame fit among the 6 WCs own. I had 500 rounds through it before I sent it in to have the butt rounded, and it would only lock back on the stouter 9mm loads (hollow-points and hotter loaded 124gr ammo). To have the Butt Rounded, the frame needs to be refinished. With the new finish, I have to start the break-in all over again, because it is tighter than it was when I first got it!

I now have 200 rounds through it since I got it back last week and the slide would only lock back with my defensive round (Federal Syntech Defense 138gr) or Syntech 124gr MATCH (loaded to same specs as Federal HST; its the practice round for the HST ammo). The 115gr and 124gr Syntech RANGE ammo would not do the trick either. I will give 1000 rounds to see if the resolves, which I'm 99% SURE it will.

Aside from the super tight fit, this particular WC has the best trigger reset of my my WCs, heck ALL of my 1911 and 2011 pistols. The distance the trigger has to travel forward to reset is barely measurable. It is pretty amazing how little one has to manipulate this trigger to fire the gun from shot to shot. It is a very quick and extremely flat shooting pistol; like all my 9mm Carry Comps, the muzzle barely moves from shot to shot. With certain rounds, like the Syntech 150gr ACTION PISTOL round, you would swear you were shooting a 22lr pistol. Hotter rounds don't move the muzzle much more either. If you are looking for the ultimate carry gun, look no further.

My Wilson Carry Comp Trio

Last edited by Harrish; 02-11-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Looks good!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

When I first saw the thread title I was thinking cosmetic sugery; in this case it is authorized because it is the guns' butt! They did a good job on it - I can say that the round butt on a pistol is my preference as well.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 04:09 PM

Couldn’t Resist

Sometimes, Round butts do get attention, sometimes they don’t. Unless and until as Harrish states, “in the interest of consistency”, “they just feel better in the palm of my hand(s)”, or theres an opposing reason, I agree and like it completely...
Old 02-11-2020, 06:01 PM

I've gotta quit looking at threads like this.

Looks like the re-coated your trigger, too.

Nice refresh and a neat customization.

Do you have a preference between the X-TAC surfaces vs serrations & checkering ?

The carry comp is certainly on my radar.

Kim Kardashion's round butt is ever-present on said radar.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Nice, now get a wide lever and flat trigger to fully copy me man lol! Glad you are liking it, my 2nd carry gun is almost ready to be shown off here.......I don't have a set of 3 like you do yet but I'm working on it. My 2nd one is the optics variant of my usual and has a flange barrel too so I can mess with people in IDPA and not have to use my CZ

Oh and you are almost right it's the ultimate carry gun, get one in .45 and I'll agree wholeheartedly hahaha!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-11-2020, 10:49 PM

Looks great. Every time is see your reviews of Carry Comps I want to run out and get one. Trouble is, there are quite a few new guns on the market I am eyeing.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:36 AM

How does that feel vs the original backstrap? I'm thinking of having it done on my RIA because the corner stickers into my hand a little bit.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 AM

Two thumbs up on the thread title. Very original thought process.

I prefer the rounded butt for comfort. Next on my list is to see if I like the straight trigger configuration as much as I like it on my ARs.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Do you have a preference between the X-TAC surfaces vs serrations & checkering ?:
Yes I do. If I could pick one I would take the X-Tac. It is very grippy without being sharper aggressive. My hand locks into the grip in a way it doesn't with regular checkering. Regular checkering is great, but X-Tac is greater.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
Yes I do. If I could pick one I would take the X-Tac. It is very grippy without being sharper aggressive. My hand locks into the grip in a way it doesn't with regular checkering. Regular checkering is great, but X-Tac is greater.
I would second this as well.

Great job and choice with going to round butt.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:03 PM

All three of my Wilsons (two Government and one Compact) were ordered with the round butt option. It is especially effective on the Compact for increased comfort during long range sessions/training, but feels nice on the full size models as well.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:49 PM

I personally prefer checkering on the frame and xtac on the slide, 20lpi is the best
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-13-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I personally prefer checkering on the frame and xtac on the slide, 20lpi is the best
That's just because you're difficult
Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 PM

Nice upgrade! Looks great! I definitely like the rounded butt. Thats why I went with the X-Tac Elite Carry Comp because the magwell is included which obviously has the rounded butt.....and I like the X-Tac pattern as well. I like the 3 hole trigger too.

You and Striker2237 sure do care the torch for comps. Keep it up!
Your posts are what motivated me to order a comp! I just got my new comp yesterday. I’ll post mine on a new thread when I get a chance to not take away from your awesome collection.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 AM

Well it’s still a question if what KKW has is real or not...
The rounded butt on a gun is very real and my preference.