Sharing Inherited Collection. - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 07:39 PM

Wow! Kudos to grandpa!
Do you know how to take care of that collection?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
Wow! Kudos to grandpa!
Do you know how to take care of that collection?
Thank you! I know basic cleaning and I am no expert so I won’t pretend to act like I know everything but I know to never store anything in a holster and to never scrub anything but gently wipe down. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:11 PM

Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

It kind of looks like that Walther PPK is a 7.65 caliber. If so that's also the gun James Bond was given when he had his Beretta 418 in .25 caliber taken away. A lot of people just assume that the Walther in the Bond movies is a .380, but in the movie it was a 7.65 aka .32 ACP.

Just one more interesting thing about one of your collection. I've kind of gotten a desire for a blued PPK if the right gun at the right time pops up.

Thanks again for sharing a really nice collection of fine firearms.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

It kind of looks like that Walther PPK is a 7.65 caliber. If so that's also the gun James Bond was given when he had his Beretta 418 in .25 caliber taken away. A lot of people just assume that the Walther in the Bond movies is a .380, but in the movie it was a 7.65 aka .32 ACP.

Just one more interesting thing about one of your collection. I've kind of gotten a desire for a blued PPK if the right gun at the right time pops up.

Thanks again for sharing a really nice collection of fine firearms.
No problem sir, I love looking at everyone’s shared photos and talking guns! And thank you for the information it is indeed a .32 acp
Old 02-08-2020, 09:48 PM

I am sorry for your loss. As said that is a great collection. Think about your grandfather every time you handle or shoot them.

I have a few inherited guns from a friend who passed. I gave away several of them to people I think he would have wanted them to go. I kept a few that have memories tied to them. When I shoot them I always think of him. I usually take them out when I go with mutual friends of ours.

I hope it is many years before the contents of my safes are passed on to the next generation but I hope they think of me when they shoot them.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25 View Post
I am sorry for your loss. As said that is a great collection. Think about your grandfather every time you handle or shoot them.

I have a few inherited guns from a friend who passed. I gave away several of them to people I think he would have wanted them to go. I kept a few that have memories tied to them. When I shoot them I always think of him. I usually take them out when I go with mutual friends of ours.

I hope it is many years before the contents of my safes are passed on to the next generation but I hope they think of me when they shoot them.
Thank you sir, I appreciate that. And that’s awesome that a friend would pass on some of his firearms to you. And you sound like a good man to pass them along to his friends that would appreciate them.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:47 PM

Very blessed to have your grandfather leave you such a collection. Hopefully you had time to get to know him. Obviously loosing him is painful but he would be happy that you shared a passion with him.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Very blessed to have your grandfather leave you such a collection. Hopefully you had time to get to know him. Obviously loosing him is painful but he would be happy that you shared a passion with him.
Yes I am and I was fortunate to spend some good time with him. I wish I would’ve found my passion for Collectible firearms while he was still here. Mesothelioma took him early. Thanks man
Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM

You are certainly fortunate. My grandfather introduced me to shooting on a Remington pump from the 1920's.

He passed and Grandma remained in the house. Then, on the very day she went to the rest home, in my uncle's car, burglars hit the house.

I'm not anywhere close to being a conspiracy type, but I suspect a crooked employee at the facility.

Anyhow, all guns were taken. Except that Remington that was at a relative's house at the time. I still, and will always, have it.

It would have been my pick anyhow.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:45 AM

Simply outstanding! says I. Treasures for you to maintain and pass down the generations.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-09-2020, 01:25 PM

Is that a Mauser hsc? What is the caliber? I know someone that owns one in 38 and is a great pistol.

Edit, I looked more closely. Same guy but different caliber. Let us know then you shoot some of these.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:51 PM

Matt, sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing. That PPK is a jewel (as are the others). The Gun Control Act of 1968 put an end to their importation, and Walther came out with the barely longer barreled PPK/S to be in compliance.
L.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Simply outstanding! says I. Treasures for you to maintain and pass down the generations.
Absolutely! Thank you sir.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopknockious View Post
Is that a Mauser hsc? What is the caliber? I know someone that owns one in 38 and is a great pistol.

Edit, I looked more closely. Same guy but different caliber. Let us know then you shoot some of these.
Yes sir Mauser hsc!
Old 02-09-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Matt, sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing. That PPK is a jewel (as are the others). The Gun Control Act of 1968 put an end to their importation, and Walther came out with the barely longer barreled PPK/S to be in compliance.
L.
I appreciate that L. And no problem, I enjoy sharing and talking guns with people. And I did not know that they were not imported after 68, thank you! She’s a good looking old girl that’s forsure.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:55 AM

I hope I’m around long enough to share my shooting enthusiasm with my Grandson. Did your Grand dad share any of his gun love and experiences with you Matt?
Joe
Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 AM

Sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing.

That is quite a nice collection.

That PPK is worth quite a lot of money.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 AM

Condolences for your loss. Amazing inheritance and collection. I agree that Ithaca seems in very good condition, and the Colt while refinished is still a nice piece.

The Luger seems beautiful too and having the matching magazine holster and loading tool is priceless.

I also have a Zella-Mehlis PPK, made in 1939, but mine is a civilian one.

If you shoot it I recommend you carefully remove the one piece grip and store it, the plastic is quite brittle and known to crack easily, and is very difficult to replace. Ask me how I know.

It is also a surprisingly accurate gun given its size. This was shot at 25 meters

Lastly here is a table with manufacture date / serial numbers you might find useful

Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
I hope I’m around long enough to share my shooting enthusiasm with my Grandson. Did your Grand dad share any of his gun love and experiences with you Matt?
Joe
Sadly he did not as he passed away when I was around 4 years old.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing.

That is quite a nice collection.

That PPK is worth quite a lot of money.
I appreciate that sir, I’m curious to how much it actually is as gunbroker prices seem to differ a lot.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
Condolences for your loss. Amazing inheritance and collection. I agree that Ithaca seems in very good condition, and the Colt while refinished is still a nice piece.

The Luger seems beautiful too and having the matching magazine holster and loading tool is priceless.

I also have a Zella-Mehlis PPK, made in 1939, but mine is a civilian one.

If you shoot it I recommend you carefully remove the one piece grip and store it, the plastic is quite brittle and known to crack easily, and is very difficult to replace. Ask me how I know.

It is also a surprisingly accurate gun given its size. This was shot at 25 meters

Lastly here is a table with manufacture date / serial numbers you might find useful

He has a good eye for quality is what everyone seems to be saying, and thank you for that recommendation. I will probably only ever shoot her if I can get some replacement grips for her. Yours looks very nice though and that little thing is quite the good shooter! And Thank you for the SN table!
Old 02-10-2020, 11:24 AM

Grandpa had excellent taste and evidently took care of his guns.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:42 PM

Sorry for your loss.

I can understand not selling them. But are they going to become safe queens or are you going to shoot them?
Old 02-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall2011 View Post
Sorry for your loss.

I can understand not selling them. But are they going to become safe queens or are you going to shoot them?
Some will definitely be safe queens. But thank you sir!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleblast... View Post
Grandpa had excellent taste and evidently took care of his guns.
Yes he did thank you!!