Classic 10mm premature slide lock back - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 10:34 PM

Classic 10mm premature slide lock back

I've worked on this pistol a lot to correct feeding issues. I've now got it feeding well, except for one final problem - it keeps locking the slide open with rounds still in the magazine. It will do it with Kimber, CMC, and Wilson 10mm mags. I've changed the slide stop for an Ed Brown, and that didn't fix it, either - nor did trying a variety of ammo. Suggestions? I'd like to fix it as it shoots very accurately.

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 PM

Are you left-handed?
'99 Colt CCO, Colt Officer's ACP Enhncd, Springfield LWT Compact compensated .45, Springfield LWT Compact Night.45, Kimber Super Carry Pro, Kimber Ultra .40, Kimber Combat Carry .40, Kimber Pro Carry 9mm/.38super, Beretta 92C, M&P PC ported .40 CORE, M&P 2.0 Compact .40, S&W 4040PD, S&W 296 44spl, S&W 65-5 3", S&W 625-6 & 629-2 Mtn Guns.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Does it do it with "real" 10mm ammo or is it just the glorified 40 watered down stuff?

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Not left handed, and yes I have used a variety of ammo, including handloads with 155's at 1400 fps.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:17 PM

Sometime the projectile comes up and rubs the slide into the up or lock position. This is a frequent issue with Ultra models. Do you shoot round nosed ammo or ammo with a projectile that is wide near the tip?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 PM

I typically shoot hollowpoints in it.

In this case I sat down & studied the fit of the slide stop to the magazine. I think some of the bullet noses were hitting the SS, and causing it to prematurely lock back the slide. I stoned the original Kimber slide stop, taking about .015" off the end, and that seemed to fix the problem. Needs more testing, but 60 rounds with no malfunctions is a big improvement. If it goes through a few hundred rounds with no more failures, then I'll consider it fixed

Old 02-09-2020, 08:59 PM

I would say the rounds are contacting the Slide stop while feeding and pushing it up. this is a common problem IMO. you should be able to see where the nose of the bullets are leaving copper marks on the slide stop if this is the issue..