Been watching Live PD -- Guns of the crooks - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 09:41 PM

Been watching Live PD -- Guns of the crooks

I've been watching a lot of Live PD on YouTube. From what I've seen the two most common guns the cops find on dopers and in their cars are:

Real Bersa Thunders and Airsoft pellet guns.

Interesting.

Also note how stupid these people are. They have guns & drugs in their car, and are wanted on warrants. Yet they still drive around with expired tags.

Unbelievable.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:53 PM
Administrator

1. Crooks no longer fear the legal system and don't seem to care all that much about getting caught. If nothing else it's a break from trying to survive on the street and a chance to visit their buddies who are already in jail.

2. Packing an Airsoft gun is better than not packing at all. Most guns are simply used to intimidate, not actually kill. You can rob a 7-11 with an Airsoft 1911 just as easily as with a real one because the terrified clerk behind the counter wont know the difference.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:29 PM

I would be able to tell it wasn't a .45 by the bore size.

But it could be a real .22, so I'd hand over the $46.21 in the register.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Also note how stupid these people are. They have guns & drugs in their car, and are wanted on warrants. Yet they still drive around with expired tags.
My police officer uncle used to say "You know crooks are dumb, because if they were smart they would find a legal way to make a living."
Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I've been watching a lot of Live PD on YouTube. From what I've seen the two most common guns the cops find on dopers and in their cars are:

Real Bersa Thunders and Airsoft pellet guns.

Interesting.

Unbelievable.
Not to question you or your source, but is that just from noticing a few busts?
Or, did they come out and say that? The Airsoft thing I can get, but Bersa? Yeah cheap, ineffective and crooks are stupid......but a Bersa? You’d think these dorks would at least have one of the gazillion Glock 40’s people are trading for $150.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:13 AM

Interesting. I watched the first few seasons weekly and I noticed a lot of Sigma's and the Bersa's plus plenty of Glocks.

Even saw a 229 Legion on one guy, but he wasn't a criminal, just a guy shooting at birds or squirrels with a pellet gun while CCWing.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:58 AM

Real Problem: The liberal puke judges that let these scums off after they get arrested.
Philippians 4:13
Old 12-31-2019, 10:20 AM

Nitro. 45 ------- It was just as I stated. My source of info is just by watching some shows. Maybe 15 so far. And very often when a gun is found on a perp or in a car, it's a Bersa.

Yes, this is not a scientific survey. But anecdotally, it's remarkable. Because obviously Bersa Thunders are, proportionally, a very tiny fraction of the guns in the US.

Yet there they are, front & center, in a high number busts on this program. Where clearly the incidents shown are selected based on general interest, not on whether they feature a particular brand of firearm.

Yep, in the criminal world they seem to be a very popular choice. Makes sense. They are cheap & they work well.

I have yet to see a 1911, of ANY kind, on the program. Yet they, no doubt, FAR outnumber Bersas in total amount owned in the US.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:55 AM

MM, I've been watching the show religiously since it came on. They find primarily Sigmas/S&W SDs and Glocks. Airsofts show up once in a while, as do other brands such as Ruger and Bersa.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:34 PM

You can draw any kind of conclusion that you want.

But I think that it is safe to say that crooks are going to pretty much use whatever they can get their hands on. It also stands to reason that people of lesser means are going to buy cheaper guns I E Bersas etc. These same people are more likely to live in higher crime areas and have less secure housing. Thus are more likely to have their firearms stolen.

Conversely people with the means to provide themselves with higher end guns are also more likely to have the wherewithal to keep them properly secured against theft.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:42 PM

Hey! Not fair. I happen to like Bersa Thunders.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:02 PM

cavelamb ----------- Of course you do. There's nothing wrong with them at all. Good guns at a low price.

Now some of the guns crims use are bought by them or straw purchasers. And some are stolen, as most have been that I have seen on the show.

So if the crooks have stolen guns, why aren't the guns more representative of the types most regular civilians (their theft victims) have?

I think this is because the primary driving factor for criminal behavior is the pursuit of drugs.

If these street-level thugs are fortunate enough to score a Python or Les Baer they don't keep it. They sell it off for as much $ as they can get. Which covers the price of a cheap, working gun PLUS a buncha dope.

Remember, these low-level addicts foolishly spend their auto registration funds on meth. Resulting in traffic stops and jail ------ Idiots! So Fine Firearms are no more relevant to them than Mutual Funds.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:05 PM

I am not so sure Mag Man.

But you might be giving these thugs a little more credit in the brains department than they deserve. The kid that robbed me in New Orleans about 25 years ago was sporting a brand new looking Walther PPK. He did not offer to sell it to me.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But you might be giving these thugs a little more credit in the brains department than they deserve. The kid that robbed me in New Orleans about 25 years ago was sporting a brand new looking Walther PPK. He did not offer to sell it to me.
That's because you were a target. If you had been the guy's drug dealer, he would have asked how much dope you would give him for the gun.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:33 PM

Before I even opened this thread I said to my self the Bersa Thunder got to be it. Don't watch to much Live PD but you used to see bad guys on Cops with them all the time LOL!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
Real Problem: The liberal puke judges that let these scums off after they get arrested.

More like prosecutors hardly ever go after gun charges. Look at bad guys on Live PD that get busted with drugs and a gun. Thats a federal offense under 18USC922(g). I’ve seen perps get busted with short barreled rifles on that show and the cops don’t even charge them with it. Its not just judges letting them go.

Last edited by Welder Guy; 12-31-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I would be able to tell it wasn't a .45 by the bore size.

But it could be a real .22, so I'd hand over the $46.21 in the register.
Got bad news for you... I have an Airsoft 1911 where I Sharpie-penned the brass barrel tube black. Now you can't tell it's not a .45 unless the lighting conditions are just right for you to see what's inside the muzzle. Realistic Airsoft and BB guns have a false muzzle so the brass tube inside it is the only way to tell, and a crafty perp could easily do what I did.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
cavelamb ----------- Of course you do. There's nothing wrong with them at all. Good guns at a low price.

Now some of the guns crims use are bought by them or straw purchasers. And some are stolen, as most have been that I have seen on the show.

So if the crooks have stolen guns, why aren't the guns more representative of the types most regular civilians (their theft victims) have?

I think this is because the primary driving factor for criminal behavior is the pursuit of drugs.

If these street-level thugs are fortunate enough to score a Python or Les Baer they don't keep it. They sell it off for as much $ as they can get. Which covers the price of a cheap, working gun PLUS a buncha dope.

Remember, these low-level addicts foolishly spend their auto registration funds on meth. Resulting in traffic stops and jail ------ Idiots! So Fine Firearms are no more relevant to them than Mutual Funds.

I'm not convinced it's all about drugs, although that is certainly part of the subculture.

I suspect it's more about being "tough", "a banger", "a bad M-F-".
That kind of ego driven mentality.

Now, me?
I love the Bersa's trigger.
Sweet smooth double action and a sharp crisp single.
I had to buy a 1911 to find a better trigger.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:25 PM

dsk---------No, it's not "bad news for me" (if I was a store clerk) that some airsoft or pellet guns look like .45's or have been crafted to look like one.

The "bad news" would be if it was the opposite: REAL .45's with, somehow, a .177 muzzle diameter. THAT could be bad news for a heroic store clerk.

A BB gun that looks real is only bad news for the $46.21 in the till. Because I'd hand that chump-change right over.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Got bad news for you... I have an Airsoft 1911 where I Sharpie-penned the brass barrel tube black. Now you can't tell it's not a .45 unless the lighting conditions are just right for you to see what's inside the muzzle. Realistic Airsoft and BB guns have a false muzzle so the brass tube inside it is the only way to tell, and a crafty perp could easily do what I did.
I pulled the orange barrel insert out of my air-soft 1911 with a pair of pliers and now it looks just like a real 1911. I have it on my desk in a display and everyone who sees it thinks it is real. I don't have have to lock it up when I leave the house, and so it's perfect.

Sigmas suck!!! I had one and it would not run unless I was constantly spraying oil into it. My buddy had one too, and his sucked also. I hope that the criminals are all carrying Sigmas, that is, those who are carrying real guns.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:46 PM

cavelamb----------- It pretty much IS all about drugs. Gangs selling drugs, prostitution for drugs, robberies for drugs, you name it.

Watch this show, which is the most authentic on TV and you see a consistent & repetitive pattern:

1. Cops pull over car with one or more people in it for expired reg, broken light, or traffic infraction.

2. Tattooed (if White or Hispanic) driver acts nervous so cops ask to search the car. If consent isn't given they get a dog that reacts to the car. So it gets searched either way.

3. Drugs, pipes, baggies with residue , drug scales, wads of cash plus sometimes guns are found in the car or on the people. Singularly or a combo of all these things. Oh, plus add in no insurance, warrants, etc etc.

4. The people claim the drugs & drug stuff is "not theirs" even if it's in their wallet or up their butt it's NOT THEIRS & don't know how it got there.

5. Off to jail they go. I only seen two or three incidents portrayed so far where people were rolling dirty in totally non-drug-related ways.

Again, this is NOT scientific data, but it sure illustrates a trend. Drugs and scumbaggery are tightly intertwined.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:04 PM

The MOST common gun I've seen perps use on LIVE: PD (and "COPS!" for decades before it), is, "STOLEN."
Old 12-31-2019, 08:31 PM

Good place for this. Just one guy and one department, but an impressive list.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-carry.847899/
Old 12-31-2019, 11:34 PM

The most common gun...someone else’s...

What is really scary...is how many of these dirtbags have them...
Old 12-31-2019, 11:40 PM

Back in the cocaine wars of the 70's & 1980's the Raven, Jennings, Lorcin, & RG type guns ruled the roost in criminal circles.

Gangbangers shot each other, and civilians, in droves with these cheap .22's & .25's.

However, lawmakers brilliantly drove the makers of cheap tiny pistols out of the market.

Resulting in the current generation of crooks carrying .380 and up.

Somehow, I don't see this as an improvement.