1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Wilson newbie

Hi everyone,
New here and just got my first CQB. It is used and made in 2006. Looking forward to taking it to the range Sunday. It was listed on a couple other forums so you may have seen it already. There really isn't much in the way of 13 year old pistols on the market, so I hope it was a decent deal. There are a few issues such as a couple scrapes on the slide and a cracked grip from over tightening the grip screw. That hurts because it is the older medallions. I don't think I can post pictures yet but soon enough. Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to the education.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

There are grip makers that can make new grips and transfer the old medallions to the new grips - check with Dan Chinock as a starter, many others can accommodate that as well. The 2006 guns were great guns, and scratches, if they are from honest usage, are not a big deal to some of us; I have some guns that have scratches from hunting trips that I would not refinish unless they started showing rust. Honest wear give a gun character IMHO. Let us know how the gun performs for you at the range, and post pics when you get done (or even before, or even before and after).

Also, welcome to the forum and the Wilson Combat sub-forum!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-07-2019, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the information and the welcome Grandpas50AE. I will let you know after the first range trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Welcome! These folks on this sub forum have a wealth of information and are very helpful. Happy shooting!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Welcome and congrats on the CQB. Please post a range report after you get her to the range tomorrow.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 AM

Welcome to the WC owner club and WC forum. CQB's are great guns, I think of them as Wilson's workhorse.

Wilson still puts the old medallions on their CA Models. You might be able to call WC and order a pair of grips with old medallions.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Congrats!!!!

I'm sure it looks just fine, can't wait to see your pics when you get the opportunity.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Well I could post a link to the pictures taken by the man that sold me the pistol. I'm just not sure of the etiquette here yet. I also think I had to make at least 3 posts first before I could post attachments. I don't think he would mind. The pictures are his property but the pistol is mine. I suppose the original owner could even be a member here.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminboy View Post
Well I could post a link to the pictures taken by the man that sold me the pistol. I'm just not sure of the etiquette here yet. I also think I had to make at least 3 posts first before I could post attachments. I don't think he would mind. The pictures are his property but the pistol is mine. I suppose the original owner could even be a member here.

Well, you should have it soon I guess we could try harder to be more patient.

Actually when I purchased my last one I copied the sellers pictures with a disclaimer. I didn't even request the sellers (gun dealers) permission. I'm still waiting to see if the cops show at my door.

But at least in my case it was a gun dealer. Had it been like your case I would have asked first or just been forced to wait a little longer to post pictures.

Congrats, Great Choice!!!

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-07-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:00 PM

He is a dealer of many things military surplus and newer. I doubt he would mind but I don't want to wear out my welcome with Mods here already. All the pictures have his digital watermark.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
He is a dealer of many things military surplus and newer. I doubt he would mind but I don't want to wear out my welcome with Mods here already. All the pictures have his digital watermark.

Agreed.

I wouldn't want to post the link or watermark picture.

In my case I just didn't feel it was wrong considering it was paid for and no watermark. No harm no foul thing I guess is what I figured. Anyway I had the little boy at Christmas feeling going on. LOL
Old 12-07-2019, 02:19 PM

I have the question posed to the man upstairs, he is running it up the chain. If i get the okay I'll post the link.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I have the question posed to the man upstairs, he is running it up the chain. If i get the okay I'll post the link.
Did you talk directly to the man upstairs? I had no idea he too had a boss.

Sorry it must be my cold medicine talking and I am just a bit of a smart ass.

So when do you actually get it again?
Old 12-07-2019, 02:33 PM

I am in possession of the pistol. I am dry firing it now. I relayed the question to a Super Mod, he is escalating it to admins and other mods. Seems I stumped him too. Not THE man upstairs. Lucky for me, smart ass is my native language. I am nearly fluent but occasionally I run into someone with impeccable syntax.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I am in possession of the pistol. I am dry firing it now. I relayed the question to a Super Mod, he is escalating it to admins and other mods. Seems I stumped him too. Not THE man upstairs. Lucky for me, smart ass is my native language. I am nearly fluent but occasionally I run into someone with impeccable syntax.
Ah, I see.

Anyway, just a bit of fun. Have a good time with your new gun.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:48 PM

Congratulations, if you are patient grips with the older medallion pop up on eBay more than you think, all of these were scored on there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CQB 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	569380

Name:	Professional 38.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	569382

Name:	Stealth 3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	569384

Name:	ULCC-9mm.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	569386
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 12-07-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Congratulations, if you are patient grips with the older medallion pop up on eBay more than you think, all of these were scored on there.
So why such the big draw with the old medallions?
Old 12-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
So why such the big draw with the old medallions?
Some folks prefer the old screaming eagle logo to the new WC logo; to each their own. I have no personal preference either way, but if the rollmark on the slide is the old screaming eagle logo, I would also prefer the medallions on the grip panels to match if they are going to have medallions. Aesthetics, but changes no functionality of the gun really.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 12-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Some folks prefer the old screaming eagle logo to the new WC logo; to each their own. I have no personal preference either way, but if the rollmark on the slide is the old screaming eagle logo, I would also prefer the medallions on the grip panels to match if they are going to have medallions. Aesthetics, but changes no functionality of the gun really.
Ah, that was the level of detail I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:20 PM

I guess in the grand scheme, the new style isn't that big of a deal. I do like the way the grips look now but am not completely opposed to putting the new style on there. Function over form isn't too bad either.

Last edited by vitaminboy; 12-07-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 PM

I got the go ahead for now so here is the link.
https://imgur.com/a/kZToPrn
Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Very nice, Congrats!!
Old 12-07-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Very nice, Congrats!!
Thank you Dddrees. It also still has the original night sights in the bag although they seem a bit dim.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Nice gun! I did notice the right grips panel appears to have a crack below the bottom grip screw, this usually happens when the screw gets over-tightened as the grip screw shows from the screwdriver marks around the slot. Perhaps time to talk to the great folks in Wilson customer service to find a set with the old medallions on it (and even a new set of grip screws).

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 12-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I got the go ahead for now so here is the link.
https://imgur.com/a/kZToPrn
Congrats on your pistol. Grip screws look like someone thought they were tightening a head bolt on an engine.. Sometimes if they shake loose, a simple remedy is get some rubber O-rings from any hardware store and use under the grip screws. Whether on the old grips or new ones. Agree on some new grip screws too.
In the meantime, go shoot the snot of it, have fun, enjoy it, and be safe.