1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 04:17 AM
Banned

Thoughts on modifying a CRG serial gun

Knowing that Springfield doesnt deviate during ordering for a CRG code, i am reluctant to do any permanent modifications to the gun. The idea of a hi cut, flush cut barrel, and rmr all have appeal to me as a user, but i think its a reasonable assumption that would significantly divot the resale value, and hard core larpers want it factory spec.

Thoughts from the community on any of those? Even if done by SCS? In the end its just a tool, but given this is a particular tool, im a little less inclined to do any of it.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2020, 06:22 AM

The collectable aspect of the Pro models has topped out IMHO. Some special serial number prefixes may be desirable but otherwise...Make it your own.
Joe
Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 AM

Meh, nothing honestly special about the Pro since they still make them.
If it was an FBI or DEA serial then no, but a CRG? Rock and roll make it your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

Thanks for the input. Gonna roll it how i want it then.

Side note, been really impressed with this piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
The collectable aspect of the Pro models has topped out IMHO. Some special serial number prefixes may be desirable but otherwise...Make it your own.
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad2006z71 View Post
Meh, nothing honestly special about the Pro since they still make them.
If it was an FBI or DEA serial then no, but a CRG? Rock and roll make it your own.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:52 PM

A Pro is a great tool, but a CRG is not a Holy Grail collector piece
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 AM

I am going to throw a wrench in the mix.

Save the Pro and look for a cheap in price used Operator. If you play your cards right, there is some good prices of nice pieces if you are patient, play the game and hit the buy button when its right.

Accuracy is not bad with a loaded model and you will get the same effect without tearing into your Pro.

I always used to say.... I will never sell it. Never is a word that I have learned does not mix in the gun world

And should the never to be sold Pro comes to the front of the line for something else you want, no worries on cutting $$$ for heavy mods.

Now if you have an endless supply of gun $$$$, disregard my above statement. I speak from, if I want something.... something else has to go.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:35 AM

I would get an Operator as suggested above to make the modifications.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:04 AM

I'll echo posts #6 & #7. This is all I will add: Be cautious when adhering to the 'make it your own' philosophy. Unless it's a gun that you know you'll absolutely hold on to, you may be better served by avoiding permanent modifications on pricier pieces, or be prepared to take a good hit if you ever do decide to get rid of it. There are lots and lots of guns that folks at one point or another decided to 'make their own' now sitting on the used gun shelf at bargain prices. Just something to consider. If money on-hand, and potential resale/trade loss, are of no concern, then have at it. Otherwise, I'd recommend proceeding with caution. Just my 2-shekels.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:55 PM

I have a Pro with the CRG also. Will I ever change it, maybe the grips. I like how it is and she is my EDC.
And to add my .02 if you make it your own then you will either die with it or take the hit in selling it. Go with the Operator and do with that. Probably your best bet! Good luck.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 PM

I agree with making it your own. If you customize it to your taste, you’ll be happier with it in the long run. Any permanent modifications and you probably will take a hit on resale.

I just bought a like new Pro Operator and the stupid bushing was so ridiculously tight that I could barely get the thing off to clean the gun. I had a drop in Ed Brown bushing laying around so I slapped that sucker on and it fits pretty well and the gun still locks up tight. I put the original bushing in the case and have ordered several more Ed Brown parts for my other Pros. I can return them to original at any time but they’re mine and I’m gunna set them up how I like them.

I have one or two that I plan to send to Wilson for some permanent mods at some point in the future. All my Pros were bought on Gunbroker and I haven’t paid over $2500 for any of them. The serial numbers range from CRG 29XX to CRG 71XX. If you have some patience, you can get one at a reasonable price. Then you can do whatever you want to it!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 PM

I'd just modify a different platform like a TRP then put money into it .

OR look at another manufacture that will make the pistol you want .
Old 01-11-2020, 11:13 PM
Banned

Thanks all. Ive decided to send it to SCS for what i want done sans the red dot for now.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:09 AM

who is SCS?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
who is SCS?
Springfield Custom Shop
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 AM

Ah, I call it SACS

I checked their Custom Shop sheet.... they still show very limited work....

did something change?