Rotation - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-03-2020, 12:41 PM

I rotate whenever I need to show off my cool guns.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
My "rotation" isn't a true rotation, it's based purely on dress code. I have a handful of gun and holster options and each has limits to how they conceal with specific attire.
Same here. I'm always carrying one of four guns depending on my dress code.
Yup, I gotta raise my hand too, I follow the same suit.

But as others pointed out, I advocate being proficient with any firearm you own for your own safety.

Happy 2020!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:09 PM

I rotate between a LW BHP and a G26, both in Don Hume JIT slides. The criteria is what I feel like carrying that day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 12:52 PM

I like to have three guns ready for carry (.45, broken-in, accessorized, and having had enough training/practice with to feel confident in). If one is out to get work, then I know that at least two will be available. Overkill, yes, but it just makes me feel good.

Choosing which one to carry that day depends on dress code/destination. I also have a P938 and J3AT for my pocket for back-up.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Glock 19 IWB or pocket carry Smith 442.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM

It depends on what I'm wearing, where I'm going, and how "concealed" it needs to be. Most of the time I carry a P320 outside my waistband under an untucked shirt. Usually a 9, but if it's really cold I carry a .40. (probably doesn't matter, but bigger heavier but still fast projectile for heavy winter clothing). If I have to dress up to the point my shirt is tucked in I carry a P938 either in a belly band holster, or on my ankle. If I can be untucked, but concealment is important I carry a P365XL inside my waistband. In Church P320 outside my waistband, under my suit coat.

I've got suitable carry holsters for several guns. If I'm shooting one really well in a range session I'll carry it for a while. Probably overkill, but I shoot the chambered (carry) round every time I shoot. No unloading, and re chambering for that round. I rotate my mags and ammo every 6 months. Shoot the carry mags empty, switch mags for carry then, with fresh ammo.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.

Last edited by woody b; 01-04-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:03 PM

I have several guns I carry. I'm not really sure if I have solid "reasons" to carry a certain gun on a certain day. Certainly how it conceals is a factor, although now that I am retired I rarely am in a position or place where I have to worry much about that.

Whatever I feel like carrying, I carry. I'm proficient with all my my defensive firearms.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I rotate whenever I need to show off my cool guns.

Nothing wrong with the public gazing at your menagerie of Colts.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:20 AM

It depends:

Walking my dog in the neighborhood - a pocket 380.
Around our small town, grocery store, etc. - subcompact 9mm
In to metropolitan area, mall, etc. - commander 1911 or equivalent.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:34 AM

My rotation, such as it is, is more dependent on the platform I want to use. It seems every six months or so I decide to switch between Glocks and 1911s.

To keep current I only shoot my carry gun/platform during weekly range days. Once decided on the platform I rarely rotate at all since my preferred options carry well in any of the clothes I choose to wear.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
For those of you who rotate carry pistols, how often do you rotate and what is your criteria for rotation?
I carry a different 1911 each week.

On Thur or Fri, I pick my next week's gun and take it to the range, firing 200-250 rounds in training. It comes home, get's cleaned, loaded w/ duty ammo, and is ready for next week.

Three weeks ago (before Christmas break) it was my Wilson CQB Elite. Tomorrow it will be a Nighthawk GRP. Next week it will probably be a Wilson Protector, then a Colt/Gunsite Custom Carry, then a Baer TRS. An STI Staccato P Duo is inbound to be added to the rotation.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 01-05-2020, 11:26 PM

Same, alternate between four different ones based on dress code and destination.

Last edited by colts70; 01-06-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
IME, most of those people who talk about CCW "rotation" are too often merely gun hobbyists who like to carry their various different favorite gun toys.

Be thoroughly, demonstrably competent and comfortable, on demand, with one or two different guns.

If you can't do that, you're fooling yourself.
There's no genuine reason for any "carry rotation" among a multiplicity of different pistols.

Just sayin', whether you like it or not.
TLDR, but pretty much SawBones hit the mark. All of my guns, now, are SAO with a 1911 style thumb safety. The only reason for rotation between my P320 Manual Safety 9mm and my 1911 in 45 is based on what I am doing. If I am on my motorcycle or going to be knocking around I take the P320 - or if I am going somewhere that I want higher capacity.

Otherwise it is my Dan Wesson VBob and 2 spare mags.

I used to do the rotation thing with a lot of different guns and I came to the same conclusion as SawBones. I make damn sure I a very demonstratabily competent with those two guns, and I shoot them weekly and have begun doing a lot of dry fire drills based on the book “Dryfire Reloaded”. Since getting it I have realized that my ability to draw and fire on multiple targets was complete crap!

I try to do draw and dry fire training a few times a week if not more.

My desire is to be more than possibly competent with these two guns. I have other 1911’s and P320’s but I go to the same two guns I have done a lot of modification to make them run 100% of the time.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:52 PM

I too am seasonal. We have 2 seasons in SE Texas. Sumer and Fallwinterspring, which is pretty mild all the way through. For that my commander sized Kimber lightweight is my preferred carry. In the Summer I cannt help but sweat. I have all my life. So I have for the 1st time in my 59 years bought a plastic gun. An M&P 2.0 with thumb safety - totally second nature/instinctive to use. Mostly because it feels close to a 1911. So far so good.

Last edited by Markbo; 01-08-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 PM

I spent 23 years in a patrol car and 14 of those years as a firearms instructor. I don't rotate squat! I carry one gun and I'm damn good with it! The only rotating I do is shooting my carry ammo once a month and replacing it with fresh ammo.

IMHO anyone who rotates between different platforms is a fool! I can maybe see rotating the same type of gun ie, da/sa/ or sao etc. on a need to basis because of circumstances but switching between platforms could get you killed! The latest church shooting proved that a small fumble could be the difference between being shot or being the shooter!

I'm sure I'll catch some flak for my statements but I've walked the walk, been there and done that!

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!", Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch
Old 01-08-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392heminut View Post
...switching between platforms could get you killed! The latest church shooting proved that a small fumble could be the difference between being shot or being the shooter!...
OT but was that a fumble or just a slow draw? The brain has to be calculating the speed of the threat and saying whether the firearm can be brought to bear before losing the sudden death draw test. Every time I see that video I want the good guy to quicken up!

Last edited by Loco1911; 01-09-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: weather>whether. Proofreading is good. Preferably b4 posting.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:28 PM

Well I rotate every six months or so after a few visits to the gun range for a check-up. They are comfortable, light weight and accurate well within 30 feet. I have faith in my two choices and my ammo that I train with. What more can I ask.
"IMHO anyone who rotates between different platforms is a fool!" - 392heminut. Well I just don't give a damn, how's that for flak!

Last edited by Mehutch; 01-08-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM

No rotation, per say,that said, I use two carry guns. A Sig P238 loaded with Sig ammo. That gets carried, with an extra mag, when I really don’t want anyone to know I’m strapped. For pretty much EDC it’s a Ruger Officer’s Model in 45acp loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. That one is carried most of the time.
Both carried in an Andre’s spandex chest band holster under the left arm.
Not as quick as an own holster, but rarely detected by anyone.
That’s what works for me.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:51 PM

the whims of rotation

Quote:
For those of you who rotate carry pistols, how often do you rotate and what is your criteria for rotation?
Dress, weather & situation has everything to do with carry weapon rotation. For me, could be anything from a 380 TCP Taurus to a 10 MM RIA 1911. What doesn't change is the ammo-of which I am quite partial to Underwood cartridges with Lehigh bullets. Whether a 380, a 10, or something inbetween it needs to put a nice messy hole in anything organic.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:56 PM

Season or clothing option. Destination City or Woods etc.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1911 View Post
OT but was that a fumble or just a slow draw?
A slow draw is a fumble in my book! It appeared that he wasn't used to drawing from concealment.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehutch View Post
"IMHO anyone who rotates between different platforms is a fool!" - 392heminut. Well I just don't give a damn, how's that for flak!
I'm sure family members do but to each his own!
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 PM

My primary carry piece is a Sig Sauer P938 with extended Sig Sauer magazines. The 4 magazines get rotated every 3 months. I'll load 2 magazines with Golden Sabre Bonded 147 grain Remington and leave 2 magazines empty to help eliminate spring memory surprises. I do rotate my pistols every couple of years with my Remington Model 51. It is now 101 years old and has never suffered a failure in the 60 some-odd years I've been shooting it. The 51 was passed down from my dad, passed down from his dad. Grandpa bought it new for $15.25 in 1919 at a local gun shop.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpski View Post
Quote:
Dress, weather & situation has everything to do with carry weapon rotation. For me, could be anything from a 380 TCP Taurus to a 10 MM RIA 1911. What doesn't change is the ammo-of which I am quite partial to Underwood cartridges with Lehigh bullets. Whether a 380, a 10, or something inbetween it needs to put a nice messy hole in anything organic.
I have to agree. Dress and destination are important factors for me. I carry an LCP at work because I would rather not advertise. Outside of work a 5” 1911...in the winter. Where I live seasonal changes affect what I can carry, otherwise I probably wouldn’t rotate.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:50 AM

What I carry on the job depends on the work to be accomplished that day.
100 feet up a stick in a bosun's chair, wiring electronics for hours at a time, mid day August in Key Largo, ain't full size pistol territory.

Neither is in the bilges or crawling thru tight areas to get the work done right, as Cops on the water don't need breakdowns on a chase.

Belts scratch the Palm Beach varnish work on mega-yachts.

HS 22 Mag Derringer.
LCP
Bobcat 22LR
S&Walther PPKs Stainless
Sig P238 HD

.... and when teaching them how to use the gear or fishing:
Smith M59 that replaced the Colt GM around '80.

In the field, swamp or the Rockies, kids live there now, a Security Six Snub since '80, a 629/4" or the M460 Carry.

We're talking protection not hunting.
Lotsa practice in six decades.

Last edited by Imissedagain; 01-09-2020 at 05:55 AM.