Anyone shoot their own Turkey? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Anyone shoot their own Turkey?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone. We in the U.S.A. have a lot to be thankful for!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Once. Never again. Too much trouble. I didn’t plan it, he trespassed into where I was hunting deer. Bullet went high, broke his back only slightly damaging the bird. We cleaned the bird and cooked him.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:18 AM

Nope. But I did shoot the Christmas goose once. And I agree wholeheartedly with STORM2.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Every spring....
Old 11-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Yes, as a 12 year old my grandfather took me to where they bought the chickens for their restaurant. It was something he did every Sunday. One Sunday before Thanksgiving he took me. The turkeys we in a pen that was just high enough that their heads would just stick up above the top rail. He an his cronies drank adult beverages and would take turns trying to hit the turkey heads sticking up.

Once a turkey was killed the Chinese guy that raised and sold the birds would clean them and put them in grocery bags.

I guess they decided to teach me how to shoot. I got lots of pointers! What they didn't know was I was on my Jr.ROTC rifle team and was the top shooter at 12 years old. After the third or fourth one shot kill they took that old Winchester single shot away from me!

That was the first and last ones. I have seen a few during deer season though! The area required shotgun only turkey hunts.

Smiles,
Old 11-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Every spring....
If you can find ones in the spring that have been munching on a farmers corn silage bunker all winter, I'm told those are great eatin'.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 PM

Yes as a matter of fact. Scored my wild turkey this year....gonna roast that breast today!
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Iíve shot a few over the years down in south Texas. Not nearly as tasty as a farm raised bird. Very lean, dry and game-y.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:13 PM

IMHO, nothing beats a massive store-bought farm-fed bird chock full of growth hormones & antibiotics. That is a result of decades of UN-natural genetic selection.

Because the sole purpose of this scientifically-crafted animal is to be as big & delicious as possible. And, dang! They NAILED it! Spot-on.

Dolly Parton sized breasts, Tina Turner huge legs, and cooks up right every time if prepared as directed on the package.

Yeah yeah, I know it's not "authentic" as a wild turkey shot with a blunderbuss while wearing a tall hat & buckle shoes.

I know it's not "craft" like a Hipster turkey stuffed with Belgian Endive & Pear Compote.

I also know it's not "GMO Free, bug-fed & Free Range" like a Healthy Choice type.

But I don't care. Gimme what I call a REAL traditional thanksgiving meal. A Butterball turkey, pie made from Libby brand filling, cranberries shaped like a can, and egg nog from a cardboard carton.

Heck yeah!
Old 11-28-2019, 01:34 PM

We had a flock of Jake's and Hen about 30 yards from the deck this week. There was at least 30 birds and it would have been an easy shot but like others have stated they just aren't all that tasty. Make mine a Butterball
Old 11-28-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
IMHO, nothing beats a massive store-bought farm-fed bird chock full of growth hormones & antibiotics. That is a result of decades of UN-natural genetic selection.

Because the sole purpose of this scientifically-crafted animal is to be as big & delicious as possible. And, dang! They NAILED it! Spot-on.

Dolly Parton sized breasts, Tina Turner huge legs, and cooks up right every time if prepared as directed on the package.

Yeah yeah, I know it's not "authentic" as a wild turkey shot with a blunderbuss while wearing a tall hat & buckle shoes.

I know it's not "craft" like a Hipster turkey stuffed with Belgian Endive & Pear Compote.

I also know it's not "GMO Free, bug-fed & Free Range" like a Healthy Choice type.

But I don't care. Gimme what I call a REAL traditional thanksgiving meal. A Butterball turkey, pie made from Libby brand filling, cranberries shaped like a can, and egg nog from a cardboard carton.

Heck yeah!
You forgot the couch...gotta have a couch...and pumpkin pie...with whipped cream...
Old 11-28-2019, 03:07 PM

I have but I much prefer the Butterball at the grocery store.

I have dressed out many deer, rabbits, fish and helped dress out cows and hogs. One turkey was enough for me to realize I did not want to clean another.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:42 PM

I'm another for butterball gimme dressing mashed potatoes, gravy, & mincemeat pie!!!!
Old 11-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
" like egg nog from a cardboard carton.
I draw the line at that, one of the few things I can make.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC shooter View Post
I have but I much prefer the Butterball at the grocery store.

I have dressed out many deer, rabbits, fish and helped dress out cows and hogs. One turkey was enough for me to realize I did not want to clean another.
Me too. It's also all too rare to have wild turkey cooked in a way I actually like, at least while not in a good game stew.

We stick with store bought turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving all
Old 11-28-2019, 05:35 PM

I haven't but one thanksgiving my Grandpa and Uncle went out and got 2 pheasants. Money must have been tight that year.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:49 PM

We raised two wild turkeys from lil ones when I was a teenager. One got out and when it flew up in the tree we shot it (I think it was me) and cleaned it. The other one I had to go cut its throat and dress it. An involved and funny story (not so much for the bird) in that. I said the hell with plucking and skinned the thing.

I'll go along with the others. Not so tasty as the farm raised. Come to think of it, our farm raised beef and hogs sure tasted a lot better than store bought though.

Since it was just my wife, 85 year old mother, and myself, we had pork loin fixed in the Instant Pot and some sides. Mom and I will have pumpkin pie and whipped cream it a bit. Wife doesn't like pumpkin pie.

That's okay, other than in pie and roll cakes, I don't like anything pumpkin spice flavored - coffee, creamer, beer, air freshener, candy, or any of the too danged many things they do with that now. To quote Guy Fleegman in Galaxy Quest, "oh that is just not right."

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 11-28-2019, 09:32 PM

Yeah, I have harvested a lot of wild turkeys in the past. They are loads of fun to hunt. But a Butterball tastes so much better that I just go with them now.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:40 PM

I began hunting in the late 60's, and wild game for Thanksgiving and Christmas was the tradition of my family. Most notably quail. A blizzard in 1978, along with loss of habitat destroyed our quail population here in west central Indiana so sadly we lost our tradition. Wild turkey did not begin appearing in my part of Indiana until about twenty years ago.
We now hunt wild turkey and for several years at Thanksgiving we would deep fry one we'd killed in the spring. I have to admit though that the butterball the wives would cook was always the better option. Normally we breast out the wild turkey we kill. We will then slice the breast meat into one inch wide strips about three inches long. My daughter makes up a great marinade that we soak the breast meat in overnight, before grilling it over charcoal. Wild turkey, like venison, must not be overcooked or it will become so dry you can't hardly choke it down. When properly prepared though wild turkey is an extremely good meal. Today we had store bought turkey and grilled wild turkey breast. Both were excellent.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 PM

Yes. And the wife was pretty pissed about the hole in the oven door.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebuster View Post
When properly prepared though wild turkey is an extremely good meal.
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.....the rest of you must let the ladies do the cooking. Butterball? Really? They are 20% water and fecal soup.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:54 PM

A friend nearly always limits out on turkey (5) as well as deer, but feeds his guests on grocery store birds.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:29 PM

Never hunted turkey. Did have a big Tom fly into my windshield on Thanksgiving morning 5 years ago. The poor woman on the phone for the insurance company got a giggle fit when I called in the accident. She kept apologizing for being unprofessional, but continued to laugh. I agreed it was funny, the turkey got me.

Mike
Old 11-28-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
Yes. And the wife was pretty pissed about the hole in the oven door.

I surprised the heck out of everyone in the freezer section at the grocery store!