Midway! Awesome movie! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Midway! Awesome movie!

Just saw it this evening, debuted tonight here. Amazing CGI brought the old battleships and carriers to life. Of course, a few 1911s made holstered guest appearances. Definitely see it on big screen.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 11-08-2019, 11:15 PM

The ads looked good. Was it leavened with political correctness?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 PM

Too much special effects for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 11:38 PM
Administrator

I plan to see it, but from what I've seen in the trailers the special effects are a bit overdone as is typical for war movies these days. I'll hold off on any formal criticism until I've actually seen it of course.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:25 AM

I stick to the 3 books I have on the subject.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:56 AM

How does it compare to the original?
Old 11-09-2019, 04:38 AM

Did they actually have B25s on the carriers?
I think I saw that in the trailer.

Bob
Old 11-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005 View Post
Did they actually have B25s on the carriers?
I think I saw that in the trailer.

Bob
Doolittleís raid. Itís part of the movies story line.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 11-09-2019, 09:13 AM

The original was great.
Letís not turn this into a spoiler thread though. I want to go see it, effects or not.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Nice. May go see it this weekend.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 AM

I, too, am concerned about the CGI, but I'm sure I'll see it anyway.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 AM

I saw it a couple of days ago. The CG work was truly impressive but, other than that, I prefer the old Charlton Heston version. The new one isn't garbage, and visually it is stunning, I just had a hard time with all the fine detail and found it distracted from the scope of the story. (But that's just me.)
Old 11-09-2019, 11:40 AM

FWIW, my Dad was a CPO in Pensacola teaching aerial gunnery and dive bombing.

SNJ, SBD, SB2C.

I can't help but think some of his students could have had a hand in that battle.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Looking forward to it. For it's time, the original is indeed a classic, and can certainly stand on it's own. For any remake of this movie though, it'll be hard to stand up to the caliber of acting in the original. At least I'm happy that we didn't get Tom Cruise as Nimitz and Will Farrell as Halsey. While perhaps not so much from HBO or Netflix, that's the kind of crap I'd expect from Hollywood these days.

Just please don't spoil the ending for me. As with Titanic, and The Hindenburg, I'm never quite sure how it will end!!

P.S.: I hope they never feel the need to remake "12 O'clock High". In my opinion, while the CGI might be impressive, there are simply no actors alive today who could do justice to that masterpiece!!!!! Superb acting aside, as far as war movies go, and as far as accurately capturing the true weight of command, few come close to that movie.

Last edited by havanajim; 11-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotwild View Post
Too much special effects for me.

Looks like an X-Box game in the trailers: "Call of Duty: Midway," or some such.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
P.S.: I hope they never feel the need to remake "12 O'clock High". In my opinion, while the CGI might be impressive, there are simply no actors alive today who could do justice to that masterpiece!!!!! Superb acting aside, as far as war movies go, and as far as accurately capturing the true weight of command, few come close to that movie.
"12 O'Clock High" is used in USAF professional military education for those reasons.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:36 PM

I hope a bunch of millenials go to see to it so they can see what sacrifices were made by the greatest generation.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Funny how everyone is saying ‘don’t spoil it for me’?
It’s based off a historical event.
Spoiler alert: we won.
COTEP#782
Old 11-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
I prefer the old Charlton Heston version.
"You'd better shape up Tiger, or some hotshot Jap pilot is gonna flame your ass!"

Best father-son pep talk I ever watched.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
The original was great.
Letís not turn this into a spoiler thread though. I want to go see it, effects or not.
Spoilers?

Here's one: The USA wins, the Japanese lose.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
"You'd better shape up Tiger, or some hotshot Jap pilot is gonna flame your ass!"

Best father-son pep talk I ever watched.
Well, I'm not sure it worked out too well, because they did.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
I hope a bunch of millenials go to see to it so they can see what sacrifices were made by the greatest generation.
They won't care.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
No doubt they'll look at all those white racist American pilots oppressing the minority Japanese and wondering why we didn't just do the right thing and give Midway Island to them.

Not long ago I was watching a documentary on the first Gulf War, and they talked about the "highway of death" where US airplanes bombed and strafed the crap out of the Iraqi Army as it fled Kuwait. It turned out the planes were eventually called off because they were causing so much carnage the US government feared a negative public backlash against it. Apparently in this day and age you're not allowed to beat the living snot out of your enemy because it's considered unfair.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:40 PM

I went to see the movie last night. My wife isn't into WWII history like I am, so I went alone. There was a decent number of people in the theater, but it wasn't crowded by any means. The thing that struck me the most was the fact that there literally wasn't anyone in the theater under 50 years old. I'd guess that 90% of the audience was in their 60's, like me. I was not surprised, but it did make me a bit sad that young people might take little interest in such a film.

I actually liked it as much or more than the 1976 version, because it didn't have that distracting sailor son/Japanese girl romance subplot getting in the way. As for the CGI, it was well done, but it wasn't A list, Star Wars blockbuster quality by any stretch. I noticed it mostly faltered during the Pear Harbor scenes. But, I went in with the intent to cut it some slack, knowing that it wasn't a major studio film (Lionsgate), and that it's getting awfully difficult to find real 78 year old warbirds to make WWII movies with...

For those who are intimately familiar with the history and chronology of the Midway battle and the early war in the Pacific, it'll be obvious that there are some things that were glossed over or omitted entirely. And, it was a little hard to keep track of where they were and which ship they were on from time to time.

But, the time goes quickly and I thought it was well worth the ticket price.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
..... Apparently in this day and age you're not allowed to beat the living snot out of your enemy because it's considered unfair.
It's as with sports, where running up the score is frowned upon. In this case, the military can only cause so much damage before it's deemed excessive and a penalty flag is thrown. Isn't this 'kinder, gentler' world a hoot??????!!!!!!!

It'd be humorous if it wasn't for the fact that these touchy-feely, sensitive 'rules of engagement' stupidity has ended up costing countless American lives.