How many purchased the AR 15ís? - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 PM

I bought a new rifle a couple of weeks ago.

I think that it is an AR-14. Either that or a REC-7.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0053.jpg  
Old 03-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall2011 View Post
I bought my first one then ended up selling it a few years later.

Just built one a few weeks ago. That was so much fun that I will probably build from now on.
Building ARs has really taken off here in WA thanks to the new I-1639 law. If you want to buy any semi-auto rifle you now have to take a so-called "safety course" and go through a two-week waiting period. But if you buy just the stripped lower it's just as easy as buying a bolt-action rifle, since it's technically not a semi-auto at that stage. Some shops have also been selling complete ARs but with a solid gas block, making it a "bolt action" rifle by definition. Just replace the gas block and you're back in business. As much as we all hate these stupid gun laws, I have to admit it's quite amusing when I see people outsmart the system.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:20 AM

Since this thread started I added another two, up to nine now, including three full autos. All Colts, Switzerland does not really offer a lot of parts for building one yourself, and those parts are expensive

A1

A2

Yeah I like fixed carry handles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2020, 07:15 AM

Classic12, what are the laws for having full autos in Switzerland?
Old 03-14-2020, 12:59 PM

'How many newbies purchased there first new/used ar-15ís?'

Probably all of them, rather than stealing them.

'I been on the fence about buying one for decades, there on the ban list but not sure if I can own one or not?'

I guess that depends on your state and local laws along with your status as a potential gun buyer.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Classic12, what are the laws for having full autos in Switzerland?

You need to justify having a small collection of normal weapons already, a clean criminal record, a bolted safe, bolt and gun have to be stored separately, and you have to apply for a special license, cost $ 150 (can be used for up to three guns but from the same seller and the same day) and waiting time 2-4 weeks.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:08 PM

The first one I bought new was an early S&W. I also bought used Colt and Stag at auction. I doubt I ever buy another again unless an awfully good price. I change out grips, trigger, handguards, stocks, etc. so it makes sense for me to assemble now. The only gun close to stock is the Colt HBAR.

I have assembled totally from individual parts as well just bought the assembled upper and assembled everything else.

I have 2 stripped lowers in my safe waiting for project ideas.

Last edited by lhawkins; 03-14-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
'How many newbies purchased there first new/used ar-15ís?'

Probably all of them, rather than stealing them.

'I been on the fence about buying one for decades, there on the ban list but not sure if I can own one or not?'

I guess that depends on your state and local laws along with your status as a potential gun buyer.
Not me. I'm Texan. We can but anything we want any time we want,
Old 03-15-2020, 06:15 AM

Wink

If someone WANTS to panic-buy their first AR, I have one I'll sell 'em... cheap...
Old 03-15-2020, 12:56 PM

The virus has already started the ammo panic buying. If the virus starts making it look like Trump might lose, those ARs will start going back up, so the newbies can start buying them again. I like to buy high and sell low.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:19 AM

Been shooting them for years and this weekend I built my first one. My son bought a PSA kit and said here dad put this together for me.

It was a fun and sometimes frustrating experience LOL. I'm sure most could have done it faster but I took my time and watched A LOT of youtube videos.

Now that I have this one done maybe I will build a ar pistol next.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Been shooting them for years and this weekend I built my first one. My son bought a PSA kit and said here dad put this together for me.

It was a fun and sometimes frustrating experience LOL. I'm sure most could have done it faster but I took my time and watched A LOT of youtube videos.

Now that I have this one done maybe I will build a ar pistol next.
Cool father and son experience.

My son wanted to build an AR9 so I built an AR15 in 5.56 at the same time. It was fun working on them together.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:21 AM

I had a 5.56 AR many many years ago. But I sold it as it couldn't be used for hunting at the time. it only came in .223 or 5.56 way back then. But then in the more current times, it is now available in all kinds of calibers and cartridges. So I wound up getting ARs again. But I tend to like to just build mine up out of parts bought, not complete guns. It is sort of half the fun.