How many purchased the AR 15ís? - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM

I carried an M16 for years while in the service, owned a Armilite AR180. But now I'm getting a Springfield M1A
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM

I agree with several others, build your own. I'ts easy to do and you only need a few special tools. can go cheap, or make one better than most you can buy!
plenty of youtube videos to show you how and give you an idea what it takes. I built both of mine, and a few for friends and neighbors now. and now do 80% lowers too. they are so much fun to build, and when you build your own, you know where every part goes and can easily fix any issue in the future if needed. or if you want to upgrade with a new part you can easily do it yourself. do your homework, ask questions and you will have no problems
Old 10-02-2019, 10:54 PM

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
This man convinced me I should buy one back around 2012-2013.

I bought a Savage MSR Recon .223 Wylde and I have only shot it a couple of times, but the idea of being able to hit a pie plate at 500 yards with a .223 is very appealing to me. I put a 3 x 9 Vortex Diamondback on it and a bi-pod; it looks as cool as it gets for that style of rifle!I like it a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 12:56 AM

OP - You are slower coming to the party than Jim Zumbo!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Legal Purchase - First AR15s

With upwards of 15 million of them in private hands I'd say whoever is keeping track on public message boards has their work cut out for them. It would be easier just to do a reverse IP search of everyone who ever logged onto MagPul's or Brownells' websites.[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter, when you had a background check run on the day it was purchased? Plus, it's totally possible to have lost it, when out shooting carp in the Gulf of Mexico!
Old 10-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
That man is going to seem pretty moderate by comparison to the ones vying for the presidency right now if one of them manages to get in. Obama was no friend of gun owners but he didn't really try that hard to go after us. But Harris, Booker, Warren and especially Beto have made it their mission in life to end private gun ownership in this country, starting with AR-15s. I'm sure even Biden and Sanders would like to do so as well, but fortunately they're both so old they would most likely sleep through most of their time in office.
I believe I bought mine around this time..It was my first Rifle of any kind and all thetal about the change in laws that MIGHT go down caused wide spread panic..

wasn't tht also around the time of the AMMO shortage, brass was nearly impossible to find and they started sellig tulamo and other rounds were SS and plastic coated other metals etc..

I really like going to the range with my AR-15 .223..fun with nice glass on it.. Ammo isnt too bad at 1k bulk at a time purchase..i have 10- 30 round mags.. lol

yes I was one that ran out an dot all that when I heard the man might change the laws..

Im in TX we will be last to change gun laws..
Old 10-03-2019, 10:14 AM

I bought an AR15, not because of a potential ban though. I spent 6 years in the Army and I have spent many many hours shooting and cleaning an M-16 so when I got out, I wanted one of my own. I could not get an M-16 of course, so I got the next closest thing, the AR15. I also bought its big brother, the AR10.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:57 AM

I own a bunch of them. Excellent tool for self defense, target shooting and hunting. For Hogs I use 6.5 Grendel. They are so cheap right now I see no reason why any shooter wouldn't have a few.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Just got my 1st AR: LWRC M6A2 - going away for the w/e and will pick it up Sunday night when I get back; Pretty stoked; Buy once-Cry once;

Will be prowling this section of the Forum for any advice/information/experiences; Been a handgun only guy since '92;
Old 10-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
I'm a pistol guy and shoot USPSA. I bought an AR-15 simply because I'm being told I shouldn't be allowed to own one. I've had it for several months and have yet to shoot it.
You're shooting USPSA, that's fantastic. Get out there and shoot that AR! You'll be good at it quickly.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Got mine, nothing fancy but will get the job done.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhBang View Post
I agree with several others, build your own. I'ts easy to do and you only need a few special tools. can go cheap, or make one better than most you can buy!
plenty of youtube videos to show you how and give you an idea what it takes. I built both of mine, and a few for friends and neighbors now. and now do 80% lowers too. they are so much fun to build, and when you build your own, you know where every part goes and can easily fix any issue in the future if needed. or if you want to upgrade with a new part you can easily do it yourself. do your homework, ask questions and you will have no problems
issues w/ DIY
1) go no-go check (must be done unless you get confirmation from the seller that the assembled upper and bolt are good).
2) upper to lower mating
3) some parts just don't work well in some uppers and lowers

There's a lot that can and does go "wrong" with a DIY.

Buying "matched" fully assembled uppers and lowers isnt really DIY in my book.

Although DIY AR15 is very lego'ish, it's not as simple as snapping lego pieces together.

I have had upper/lower fit issue, gas block issue, mag release issue, safety issue, pivot pin issue. I fixed all the issues though.

Remember, although the platform is "simple", it's still a firearm.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 10-04-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Big daddy unlimited has Anderson lowers for $37.99 right now if anyone needs to stock up
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 10-04-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Big daddy unlimited has Anderson lowers for $37.99 right now if anyone needs to stock up
Big Daddy Unlimited sounds a like a store that sells "adult novelties". Having your wife see spend money on gun frames you don't know what you're doing with is one thing. Having your wife see you spend money at a place called "Big Daddy Unlimited" is another....

In spite of this, that does sound like a decent deal. I'll certainly consider. Aim Surplus has always been good about low priced "poverty ponies" as well.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Do those lowers still come stamped ".223/.556"?
Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 AM

My first issued M16A2 was a jamomatic that keep me from qualifying. Felt like a toy and wow, a .22 round. I hated the time I spent cleaning one, all that carbon. Could be the reason I hate to clean guns to this day.

I did finally get to qualify with a different M16 and shot marksman's every qual but was still not a fan.

I was more of a shortgun and boltgun shooter for most of my life. I did like M14/M1A, still have one but its a safe queen.

Brought in piston ARs and one of my guys, retired Army and one of my AR experts, we were opening boxes to check serial numbers, he said boss, you need to take this one home. He convinced me piston so cleaner and cooler, coated BCG easier to clean, bla bla bla and now I have a safe full from shorty to 20" heavy barrel to 762 for hunting. Wfie has one. Just thinking its time to get my grandsons one.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:56 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
issues w/ DIY
1) go no-go check (must be done unless you get confirmation from the seller that the assembled upper and bolt are good).
2) upper to lower mating
3) some parts just don't work well in some uppers and lowers

There's a lot that can and does go "wrong" with a DIY.

Buying "matched" fully assembled uppers and lowers isnt really DIY in my book.

Although DIY AR15 is very lego'ish, it's not as simple as snapping lego pieces together.

I have had upper/lower fit issue, gas block issue, mag release issue, safety issue, pivot pin issue. I fixed all the issues though.

Remember, although the platform is "simple", it's still a firearm.

Maybe if you buy used parts or horribly cheap parts.

If you use decent stuff, you wont have any issues.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I agree, if you buy a decent barrel with the barrel extension already installed headspace shouldn't be an issue. Always check it though.

My recent PSA/Anderson build has fairly poor fit of the upper and lower, but functionally it runs fine. My other Anderson with a Windham upper fits very good. I may replace the PSA upper on the other one someday, but for now it's okay as putting together a low-cost range rifle was the whole point of the exercise.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I agree, if you buy a decent barrel with the barrel extension already installed headspace shouldn't be an issue. Always check it though.

My recent PSA/Anderson build has fairly poor fit of the upper and lower, but functionally it runs fine. My other Anderson with a Windham upper fits very good. I may replace the PSA upper on the other one someday, but for now it's okay as putting together a low-cost range rifle was the whole point of the exercise.
PSA and Aero Precision lowers have set screw holes drilled and tapped, so you can compensate for any slop. Slop doesn't really hurt anything, other than perceived quality. Fitment seems to be inconsistent with these guns. You may find a sloppy Colt, and a tight PSA sitting on the rack. There is no hand fitting. Upper to lower fit is luck of the draw.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Mine doesn't have any up and down slop. There's sideways slop at the front pivot and there's enough of a gap between the upper and lower to stick a folded piece of paper between them, meaning the actual machining is a bit off. When I put a Colt or Windham upper on the lower it fits much better, meaning the PSA upper is at fault.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
Maybe if you buy used parts or horribly cheap parts.

If you use decent stuff, you wont have any issues.
I dont rely on "decent stuff". I verify and check.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
That XM4 at the top is a pretty rare bird. I don't know how you found that one but congratulations.

Sadly itís not an XM4, just a lookalike based on my GC, slab side and large pin. But I like it.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:09 AM

My wife bought me one when she heard Savage Arms came out with them. Now I'm the proud owner of an MSR15 Recon. Love it. Finally found 15 round magazines and was smart enough to pick up 6 magpul mags when Magpul was giving them away here before they left Colorado. I bought a few "repair kits" the other day.

The second amendment is just a start. What's next? The First amendment? 3rd? 4th?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Buy a stripped lower from PSA or Anderson every payday. Put them away.. one day they'll be worth a fortune. At worst, you'll get your money back. At the least, buy a dozen..
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM

I've had many AR-15's over the past 35 years from pre-ban Colts to Bushmasters and DPMS, but I always keep going back to the HK91/G3.

I probably won't buy another AR-15 while on this planet as I'll just trade it away or sell it again.