Had a squib! Didnt notice... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-22-2017, 12:01 AM

Had a squib! Didnt notice...

And I just kept on shooting...and nothing bad happened.

Was at a USPSA match today. Had a round make a nice little fizzle sound on camera, but to me it just sounded like a light primer strike.

Upon review of video hammer drops, makes little pop, non slide movement. I rack the round out, and pull the trigger again but before anyone can yell stop. Slight increase in recoil, and gun keeps running.

I took the gun apart at the safety table, and cant find any bulge in the barrel, or anything that looks out of place at all.

I got lucky today. Very lucky.

I have a feeling that it had to do with a few things. 9mm 115gn bullet with 4.1gr of tite group, and a 1911 in 9mm. Extra thing barrel, extra thick chamber probably saved the day.

Don't be like me! Stay safe guys.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 AM

I had squid for dinner as well! You got lucky with the squib - that can bulge a barrel in a heartbeat. I have had a few squibs in my .357 and .22 pistol but luckily noticed them right away and was able to clear the bullet before chucking the next round down the pipe.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:58 AM

Thanks for sharing, it is worth reminding people so that it might be on the minds when they go shooting. it does happen every now and then.

You got lucky. I doubt you hurt your pistol if you cannot find anything wrong.
Sometimes the gun comes out Ok, other times no so good.
It reminds me of some of the lucky people who keep trying to shoot but can't figure out what happened to the bullets not hitting the target.

Last edited by earlwb; 01-22-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Bigam; probably the bullet actually left the barrel from the squib. Otherwise its nearly certain that the next one would have blown the barrel or at least bulged it.

That is an amazing picture of the .357 barrel. I don't know how something like that could happen. I mean, I know but its hard to believe anybody is that ignorant.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAm View Post

I have a feeling that it had to do with a few things. 9mm 115gn bullet with 4.1gr of tite group, and a 1911 in 9mm. Extra thing barrel, extra thick chamber probably saved the day.
I tend to agree
and add a WAG.... the position of stuck bullet may have been a big help too
If the new bullet nestled right up to the stuck one, you'd essentially been shooting a 230gr slug over 4.2 TiteGroup...
the fully supported chamber prevented case blowout

be interesting to see the spent case that cleared the squib.

..L.T.A.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:13 PM

I thought at first that this might be a post about calamari, which I figure you would be able to notice given its rubbery texture. However, I'm glad it's not - as it would have nothing to do with firearms.

On a serious note: consider yourself very lucky. Glad it worked out for you the way it did. I have personally witnessed others not being so lucky.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:56 PM

oh man! i thought there was gonna be a pic of a squid shooting 1911s.

Oh well, glad you and the gun are okay. I learned the hard way to. I reckon some of us are just that way.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Its about dern time!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:33 PM

that is gonna give me nightmares
Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 PM

kudos to HiPoint

I just rec'd my repaired 9mm carbine back from Strassell machine for a blown barrel. I was experiment w/reduced power loads,cold day,in a hurry to get back inside,wearing ear protection ,beanie cap and hoodie. Didn't hear the squib because all shots were low noise. Then the barrel exploded. Looked just like a elmer fudd cartoon,waskelwie wabbit. This is the second barrel and receiver they have replaced for me,no charge,no questions,free mag (the first was ruined w/my poor gunsmithing attempts) For days after I was finding bits of the front sight,bullets and barrel thru the yard,not a scratch on me. Yes,I pray each day and I took this as proof that He listens(this and the fact that D.Trump is now President) Not gonna go into why I have a HiPoint,it's just inexpensive fun.

Last edited by 4evrnbljns; 01-22-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53 PM

squib

Big Am pull the barrel and clean it good. Make sure it is dry and look for a ring in the barrel, looks like a dark ring, I have seen this on revolvers where the bulge might not be noticed but the ring shows good. If this is seen you should replace the barrel, it could shear the next time out and be fugly.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 PM

I have found that Titegroup does not drop well through my LEE disc powder drop, creating squibs on the lower charges. I reloaded 300 rounds of .38 SPL with Titehgroup, checked every 4th round for powder by pulling out of my turret press and didn't find any issues yet I got 3 squibs in 300 rounds.

Here was the one squib I go in my MKII. The shot just didn't sound right, so I cleared the chamber and dropped the mag to have a look. If it doesn't feel right or sound right - STOP and have a look at what is going on.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:44 PM

Yeah sorry about puttid squid! I posted on my phone and it doesn't like the word squib at all...I had to type squib three times just then to get it to work haha.

It is hard to say if the bullet left the barrel when it went off. I will say that the next round felt much stiffer than normal, and the video I have shows the slide staying reward longer, and getting a noticeable amount of muzzle rise that I otherwise dont get with my current load set up.

I went to look for the case, but couldn't locate it. Attached is a photo of the brass that I had the squib on, and it looks pretty crazy...almost like a hole is in the side.
Sorry for the low quality of the picture. It was a screen grab off my phone zoomed in on the video.

And before you ask yes...I clean all my brass...they look NOTHING like that when they go into the gun.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 PM
Administrator

I just fixed the thread title, so we can lay off the calamari jokes now.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 AM

Thank you! Again sorry about that guys!
Old 01-23-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Attached is a photo of the brass that I had the squib on, and it looks pretty crazy...almost like a hole is in the side.!
split/ruptured case .
hmmmm.....you sure there weren't two holes in the cardboard to paste up?

reason I ask, I had one split case a year or two ago
The case split from the mouth to about the case web
The shot report was VERY different ..like a muffled "pop" as I recall.

I checked for squib...nope, clear barrel.
Then looked at the case and saw the split

"maybe"??...you didn't have a squib at all??''..

..L.T.A.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Happened once ... I didn't notice either and the second bullet pushed the squib out of the barrel. I was very, very lucky. No damage to the barrel.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah sorry about puttid squid! I posted on my phone and it doesn't like the word squib at all...I had to type squib three times just then to get it to work haha.

It is hard to say if the bullet left the barrel when it went off. I will say that the next round felt much stiffer than normal, and the video I have shows the slide staying reward longer, and getting a noticeable amount of muzzle rise that I otherwise dont get with my current load set up.
No worries on the squid thing - it was funny and you have a bunch of jokers around here

Based on your description, you might have had a squib which pushed the bullet almost to the end of the barrel and the 2nd bullet popped it out. Either way, you got lucky so perhaps review your handloading process (I use good lighting, Eyeball Mk II and an RCBS lockout die to assist me).

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Actually ordered a lock out dye before I even got home that day haha!

And I think there might be something to the split case theory. The round sounded like a little pop, but didnt have any recoil at all to it. But the next round down the barrel was noticeably stiffer on recoil. Also there was 3 holes on target not just 2 even though I only actually shot at it twice. 2 normal speed holes, and one hole with no "grease ring" around it.

Such a mystery haha! Guess we will never know. But reviewing my handload process and getting the lock out dye in will for sure be on the agenda.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Thanks for sharing, it is worth reminding people so that it might be on the minds when they go shooting. it does happen every now and then.

You got lucky. I doubt you hurt your pistol if you cannot find anything wrong.
Sometimes the gun comes out Ok, other times no so good.
It reminds me of some of the lucky people who keep trying to shoot but can't figure out what happened to the bullets not hitting the target.

The amazing thing here is the guy had to reload!