New pt 1911 front sight allen screw - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 PM

New pt 1911 front sight allen screw

Anyone with a Newer PT1911 with the Novack 3dot sights know the tiny &$$ front sight Allen screw size or allen wrench size that will loosen allowing you to drift it for adjusting or upgrading ???? Gots to be the smallest Ive ever seen.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:33 AM

That's a new one on me.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 AM

I'd like to see a photo of the front sight on that PT1911.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 01:13 PM

It's metric. Can't remember the size. It is small. Tip: use a needle to dig out the hardened cosmoline in the sets screws. Mine were filled almost to the top, so I couldn't get the Allen in deep enough and it wanted to strip.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16-1911s View Post
Anyone with a Newer PT1911 with the Novack 3dot sights know the tiny &$$ front sight Allen screw size or allen wrench size that will loosen allowing you to drift it for adjusting or upgrading ???? Gots to be the smallest Ive ever seen.
If it's the same as the front sight screws on their other pistols, it'll be a 1.5mm allen/hex. You can easily screw up the screw or wrench because of the locktite they use. Sometimes they will have locktite (not by design) atop the tiny screw which will need to be picked out first. Additionally, if you use the correct size wrench, you may still need to heat the top of the screw or the front sight itself with a heat gun, soldering iron, etc.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:26 PM

Yup metric. It looks to be 1.5mm allen/hex in front and 2mm in back on my early PT1911.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:12 PM

you have to file down a piece of horse hair to a hex shape and use that.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:08 PM

Can you not make enough of an adjustment with the rear sight alone? You could be getting ready to screw up if you're not careful. The sight might not move without heat, which will destroy the white dots. If you were successful in drifting it, it might tend to move on you later unless you glue it in place.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:18 PM

BTDT on a pistol belonging to a friend. What we wound up doing was first cleaning out the set screw. Took a standard allen wrench, and cut the "short leg" off. With the slide held in a vise, using a light hammer the "long leg" of the allen wrench was carefully tapped into the set screw (to make sure it was seated fully). The loose end of the allen wrench was heated red hot with an oxy-acetylene torch (wanted to heat it as quickly as we could). After about 30 seconds, the allen wrench stub was pulled from the set screw with a pliers.

The heat was concentrated on the wrench, so it transferred to the set screw/area around it. This released the thread-locking compound. When it all cooled, the set screw was turned out with another wrench. No damage to the white dots, sight itself, or slide. Once the pistol was sighted in, the set screw was again snugged up with thread-locker.

It is sort of a "three-handed job": one guy can do it alone, but an extra set of hands makes it easier.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu View Post
BTDT on a pistol belonging to a friend. What we wound up doing was first cleaning out the set screw. Took a standard allen wrench, and cut the "short leg" off. With the slide held in a vise, using a light hammer the "long leg" of the allen wrench was carefully tapped into the set screw (to make sure it was seated fully). The loose end of the allen wrench was heated red hot with an oxy-acetylene torch (wanted to heat it as quickly as we could). After about 30 seconds, the allen wrench stub was pulled from the set screw with a pliers.

The heat was concentrated on the wrench, so it transferred to the set screw/area around it. This released the thread-locking compound. When it all cooled, the set screw was turned out with another wrench. No damage to the white dots, sight itself, or slide. Once the pistol was sighted in, the set screw was again snugged up with thread-locker.

It is sort of a "three-handed job": one guy can do it alone, but an extra set of hands makes it easier.
Nice little insight I'll be using it. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 AM

My Novak Sighted Model uses same frt/rear.

I recently picked up a newer model PT-1911 starting serial number NJT which the sights Front and Rear Read Novak and both use the same metric 1.5 MM allen from Kobalt set. I also noted my Taurus PT-1911 doesn't have script all down the slide as most other posted here. Mine just has the Registered Circle Taurus at rear serrations, Serial number under ejection port and 1911/45ACP at front serration on right side. And Novak sights Item: LMT 191103 (Rear), DFT 1911-6.150 (Front) slide right in with just a light cleaning an filing to clean off old loctite/cosmoline of factory 3 dot set..