Will a 22 cal really have any value? - Page 8 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?
22 cal would not be first choice 359 75.90%
22 cal is my first choice 114 24.10%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 PM

hi Redneck Jim,

the hooligans are a posse of folks in the same situation you are, walking your way looking for resources to take, etc. you against them, an out numbered situation. so i not sure if a silent 22 does you any good here.

and i do agree with you, being silent has some advantages, just not sure they all apply in this scenario.

a big pile of 22 with a silent bolt action, or a big pile of 223 ar-15? i suspect most with choose the 223 item. not sure i would elect to rely on 22. but, in the context of "does 22 have any value", and certainly we cant say no.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
hi Redneck Jim,

the hooligans are a posse of folks in the same situation you are, walking your way looking for resources to take, etc. you against them, an out numbered situation. so i not sure if a silent 22 does you any good here.

and i do agree with you, being silent has some advantages, just not sure they all apply in this scenario.
Howdy Kid.

I understand your point but I'm just saying in a SHTF situation, I'm not gonna hunt with my ARs simply because there is a chance I will meet up with some posse of folks out in the middle of the woods. I'm pretty sure these bands of folks will be sticking to the roads and not be way out where I live. What I don't want to do, however, is attract folks into my woods by them hearing the loud boom of a rifle going off. That is why I see so much value in a suppressed 22, especially on a bolt gun. Sure my 300 Blackout shooting subsonic suppressed would have much better ballistics, however it is not near as stealthy as a 22.

My method of survival is to live off the beaten track & to stay stealthy. That includes, for example my usage of solar generators as opposed to fueled ones. IMO, any situation where one gets into firefights with ARs a blazing, well that is a lose lose for everyone.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 06-23-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Jim View Post
Howdy Kid.

My method of survival is to live off the beaten track & to stay stealthy.
you and the other millions of folks

but i hear ya strategy, seems ok.

but please recall the OP Q
Quote:
...or any of the other scenarios of doom that a Ruger 10/22 or some other form of 22 pistol or long gun is the best for survival as a must have or first pick gun.
is 22 really the best, or a 1st pick, nope. 22 has its place so maybe it falls within the "must have", but like i said, a big pile of 22 or a big pile of 223, i think i go for the latter.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 06-23-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 PM

My 22 has a 410 barrel under it. Seems I shoot it most anymore. Wild dogs ,cats coons hogs 410 slug works well .
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
My 22 has a 410 barrel under it. Seems I shoot it most anymore. Wild dogs ,cats coons hogs 410 slug works well .
I think a combination gun would have great value.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Cool lethal or not .22 cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
So I keep hearing this survival advice that if the power goes out, shtf, or any of the other scenarios of doom that a Ruger 10/22 or some other form of 22 pistol or long gun is the best for survival as a must have or first pick gun. You can carry a lot of ammo as it is light and you can still defend yourself and family if need be. And also use it to hunt for small game and even big game if you are a good shot.

Personally I think if the SHTF. Hunting will be useless as I am sure people will kill just about everything alive so fast that that option will be gone in a month or less. Any city deer and other small game will disappear as soon as the first shot goes out. 330 million hungry people have to eat and if they have to I am betting they will eat just about anything. Including each other. Dogs and Cats will become quite valuable. Any local farms with any livestock will be attacked or defended by groups of people and a 22 will get you nowhere. If it goes past 3 weeks I am thinking a 22 will be just about useless. You will need to defend your food,water,shelter and heat.

Sorry but this ability to carry 1000 rounds of 22 rimfire vs a couple hundred rounds of 45 cal or a shotgun with 3 or four pockets full of shells. I am taking the 45 or shotgun.

Am I right or wrong?
yes and no.
there is no perfect answer to ur question. both have a place . people should stockpile both
head shots at 50 yds are fatal with a .22. wanna bet your life ????.
I think not
I have abundant ar's and .22's. more ar's than .22's (I have about 9-10, .22's in all variations)
won't discuss .556's I own but it's in double digits.
ammo should be a consideration. more ammo less guns is budget is a problem

300 yds what to do ??
25 yds and eatable same ?.

I also have s.b.r.s in .22 uppers to fit my ar's. that is the best way to go.
if I were limited to 2 weapons, it would be an ar and a 22/45 both with cans and red dots.
not a fantasy, as I have that already. ar-300 yds .22 at 50 and in.

not a question any 1 can answer for u. reade every tree in the forest. research. ask pro's

good luck

jjw

Last edited by jjw; 07-01-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw View Post
yes and no.
I have abundant ar's and .22's. more ar's than .22's (I have about 9-10, .22's in all variations)
jjw
you mean, more AR's that are not .22. i have a AR15/22
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM

There are far less reasons to not have a 22 than there are reasons to have one.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 PM

I would be fine with a 22 but I have much more ammo in 223. There are just so many primers and cans of powder so
Long term you are talking about bows and arrows and flintlocks. You have to hope things get straightened out before you have to resort to that.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by publiuss View Post
I would be fine with a 22 but I have much more ammo in 223. There are just so many primers and cans of powder so
Long term you are talking about bows and arrows and flintlocks. You have to hope things get straightened out before you have to resort to that.
Whenever I hear people mention bows, crossbows, swords, etc., I think that's a lot further down the road than any of us would live to see, even if we lived though a SHTF. The are simply so many guns and so much ammo already in existence, that the guy who tries to beat the punch by honing his mad archery skills is going to be about 100 years too early when a gunfight comes along.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM

And if a 22 lr was to be used as a Disaster weapon. What would your ammo choices be?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM

22 is not my first choice even though I have a lot of weapons for it since I start my kids with it.
Although it is the caliber I have the most ammo for since it's the cheapest around.

So during a disaster, it's probably the caliber I would have the longest.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:00 PM

The 22caliber? Rimfire?

Deer at night with a flashlight if meat is needed.

My great, great uncle SAM shot the birds on the chicken coop roof ridge when they were all lined up. My great, great aunt made bird cacciatore. During the great depression. My grandfather could get you anything he was in the black market. My point is even a 22 rimfire will put meat on the table. I stocked up in 22 short CB rounds too.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
And if a 22 lr was to be used as a Disaster weapon. What would your ammo choices be?
Nosler® Ballistic Tip® Boat Tail

i have ballistic tip 22mag, a tiny yet devastating rnd.

i bets not place performance adjectives to rounds, anti-2A nims might attempt to take them away.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:23 PM

FWIW the USAF issued .22 rifles as aircrew survival firearms. Are you implying that a crash landing in the wilderness is not a survival scenario? Or that the USAF hasn't looked into the pros and cons of the .22 with due diligence?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Ideally I'd opt for:
CCI Mini mags. Hollow points and solids depending on the game.
CCI Standard velocity or subsonic when necessary (less noise.)
Old 09-26-2016, 01:55 AM

The comments about 350 million people causing the annihilation of big and small game struck me as doubtful. The majority of that 350 million who live in big cities will be dead in about a month from starvation or violence. And most of these city people don't know one end of a gun from the other let alone know where to find big game to hunt or how to hunt it. Small town and rural people will be better off. Their biggest worry are the desperate ones who manage to escape the city.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhou View Post
The comments about 350 million people causing the annihilation of big and small game struck me as doubtful. The majority of that 350 million who live in big cities will be dead in about a month from starvation or violence. And most of these city people don't know one end of a gun from the other let alone know where to find big game to hunt or how to hunt it. Small town and rural people will be better off. Their biggest worry are the desperate ones who manage to escape the city.
I have always joked that geese would be gone within 2 weeks.

People would be netting the creeks and streams.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhou View Post
Are you kidding me? City people make the dang things so they can pick up some cash at the local stores.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:30 PM

I think that a .22LR rimfire would be fine. Very general purpose. Quite useful. Plus you can carry a awful lot of ammo for one too. So it would work. Against a group of determined desparate armed people would be iffy though. But most people would not want to get shot by anything, especially when the world collapses. No medical care. Getting shot would be tantamount to dying a slow death.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:11 PM

Though I read through the thread, I didn't see quite the answer I would give.

For long term survival in a SHTF situation? I WOULD like to have a 22 cal on hand. However? It would be a .22 airgun! Great accuracy, available at 1000 fps or better, 2000 rounds or more can be carried in pockets, and more rounds easily cast - no need for powder or casings.

If you wanna scoff at airguns? Lewis & Clark felt safe enough to carry one to protect them from natives on their little canoe trip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Wouldn't be my ONLY "firearm," but I'd strongly consider one & it would certainly have value to me!
Old 10-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S. View Post
Though I read through the thread, I didn't see quite the answer I would give.

For long term survival in a SHTF situation? I WOULD like to have a 22 cal on hand. However? It would be a .22 airgun! Great accuracy, available at 1000 fps or better, 2000 rounds or more can be carried in pockets, and more rounds easily cast - no need for powder or casings.

If you wanna scoff at airguns? Lewis & Clark felt safe enough to carry one to protect them from natives on their little canoe trip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Wouldn't be my ONLY "firearm," but I'd strongly consider one & it would certainly have value to me!
I do not think people scoff at airguns. They are extremely accurate and effective for game. They are also very discrete. Range and knockdown power is limited. However larger calibers are becoming more common and people actually hunt wild boar with them.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 PM

If the budget is tight or you are trying to stay quiet a 22 is a great choice. If you have to hump the pack with a kid tucked under your arm a 22lr with 500 rnds is lightweight.

Nobody is going to charge you with a swarm of 22 bullets whizzing past their head.

If I had to hump it and my food for 300 miles to a bug out location it would be a tough choice between a 22 and a 5.56 but for outside home defense I'd prefer something with a little more kick than the 22.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post
If the budget is tight or you are trying to stay quiet a 22 is a great choice. If you have to hump the pack with a kid tucked under your arm a 22lr with 500 rnds is lightweight.

Nobody is going to charge you with a swarm of 22 bullets whizzing past their head.

If I had to hump it and my food for 300 miles to a bug out location it would be a tough choice between a 22 and a 5.56 but for outside home defense I'd prefer something with a little more kick than the 22.
I think the 5.56 would be a more versatile choice.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
If modern society broke down the Kardashian sisters would probably be the first ones to throw themselves off a bridge. Imagine life without selfies or a thousand colors of nail polish.
That might make everything better. Although I have used red nail polish on a front sight, and occasionally a drop of clear when I don't have access to my jars of locktite can be useful.

My daughter can run a handgun , mosin , or AR , and she does have nice nails. Don't think selfies or all day on the phone is exactly her speed however. Her vision is better than mine and she loves making headshots with an HK usp or one of her 1911's . In bad times she would not be the person to underestimate.