Grip differences - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 AM

Grip differences

I have an R1 and an R1S, and I noticed that the grips seem different on the 2. Both versions came from Ilion, but the R1 has "grippier" grips, which I think is pressed checkering, and the R1S has smoother checkering which I believe is cut. I prefer the ones on the R1, due to their "grippierness". I'll probably replace the ones on the R1S. Have any of you noticed this difference?
Old 05-27-2016, 07:58 AM

I have an R1 and R1 Commander purchased about a year and a half apart. The grips on both are pretty much the same, though the finish is a higher gloss on the Commander. For me, checkering vs. serrated on the MSH makes a bigger difference than grips. The grips on my CZ are very grippy, and as I understand it, were made by Hogue, so you might look to them for replacements. I have no idea who makes grips for Remmy.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:47 PM

I love Hogue's grips. I've only tried their smooth versions so far for Ruger Mark IIs and IIIs, but very nicely made!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeingeorgia View Post
I have an R1 and an R1S, and I noticed that the grips seem different on the 2. Both versions came from Ilion, but the R1 has "grippier" grips, which I think is pressed checkering, and the R1S has smoother checkering which I believe is cut. I prefer the ones on the R1, due to their "grippierness". I'll probably replace the ones on the R1S. Have any of you noticed this difference?
I was just reading the thread and noticed that my R1 says "Huntsville, AL. USA" on the side. I didn't know that they had different factories.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK1960 View Post
I was just reading the thread and noticed that my R1 says "Huntsville, AL. USA" on the side. I didn't know that they had different factories.
The Freedom Group, parent company of Remmy and Para USA, consolidated 1911 manufacturing for both, and moved them to Huntsville about a year ago, IIRC. Remmy's long arms, I believe, are still made in Ilion, NY.