Double stack TCM frame ramp cut? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-13-2015, 07:42 PM

Double stack TCM frame ramp cut?

Hello. What kind of barrel ramp does the double stack TCM have? Is it Clark/para, Wilson/Nolan or standard government? Thank you.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:15 PM

Mine is para/clark
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0044(2).jpg  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Thank you Sir. I have seen both. Can you tell me what year you bought yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 10:39 PM

The one I bought in February was unramped. It went back for warranty because of a bad 9mm barrel and I think it was sometime in April when the replacement that I currently have came in. The ramped barrels are by far better than the early unramped versions.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 PM

Thank you for your help. I am looking at 22tcm forum right now. Looks like agreat cartridge. I will have fun tuning it. I am looking at the full rail version. I will call to see if it is ramped first. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Well that just sux. Mine is the unramped version.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM

I stopped at a gun shop and looked at the RIA 22TCM target. It has the Para-Clark ramp and a really nice trigger. It's much smoother than my older generation 22 TCM that has a non-ramped barrel/frame. So I bought the new one....meh, go figure.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:54 PM

Abitnuts, was that a single stack? It seems like the single stack is Clark/para and double is regular. I just ordered one. If it's regular I will cut a Wilson Nolan in it for a bar sto.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 PM

Just checked mine - FS double stack is Wilson/Nolan (purchased August 2014) and my MS single stack is Clark/Para (purchased January 2015).
Old 12-14-2015, 10:28 PM

Very cool. Thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texar2 View Post
Abitnuts, was that a single stack? It seems like the single stack is Clark/para and double is regular. I just ordered one. If it's regular I will cut a Wilson Nolan in it for a bar sto.
Nope, mine is a double stack target model.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmp9jrm View Post
Just checked mine - FS double stack is Wilson/Nolan (purchased August 2014) and my MS single stack is Clark/Para (purchased January 2015).
Yours would be the first I'd heard of being wilson/nowlin. Can't be very many of those around. Every other ramped version I've seen in person and/or pictures of is para/clark.

Why in the world would RIA put 3 different barrels/frames into one model????? IMO that makes getting parts stupid for the consumer.....Two I understood because they had issues with 9mm feeding on early models and I just figured using a para/clark design was the upgraded fix. Guess not.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanks for your help. I will have mine on Friday. I will only be using the frame and grips. All other parts will be caspian, egw and bar sto. The take off parts are going to build an aluminum single stack 22tcm. I will cam the hammer and lighten the slide. Don't know which one I am more excited about.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:14 PM

What I looked at was the Target 22 TCM model #51680. It's a double stack and I didn't take it apart yet but, I'm pretty sure it's a Clark/Para if the single stack is. I can't imagine they would do both ramps.

My Para Pro is Clark/Para but my Kimber is a Wilson/Nowlin.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:25 PM

Thanks for checking.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
What I looked at was the Target 22 TCM model #51680. It's a double stack and I didn't take it apart yet but, I'm pretty sure it's a Clark/Para if the single stack is. I can't imagine they would do both ramps.

My Para Pro is Clark/Para but my Kimber is a Wilson/Nowlin.
Yeah, to me it doesn't make sense for RIA to do that either. One would think it would put them in a pickle of sorts to have that many different parts for the same model firearm....
Old 12-18-2015, 11:40 PM

Just an update. Got the full rail double stack tcm today. It has a Clark para ramp. Overall looks great.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:44 PM

New problem. My caspian 9mm upper fits so good that I might only use the frame and sell all the other parts. Lol
Old 02-13-2016, 01:26 PM

I just checked mine. The TCM is a conventional feed ramp, with a frame ramp in the chute.
and the 9mm is NOT RAMPED.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
After reading the other posts in this thread I decided to go back and look at my FS (double stack) and MS (single stack) TCM's again. Not sure now which mine are. So here's a pic - someone tell me which types I have - it does appear that they are different.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 PM

Mid size in photo is Para/Clark ramped bbl. Full size in photo is "normal" 1911 style ramp or un-ramped if you will.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
After reading the other posts in this thread I decided to go back and look at my FS (double stack) and MS (single stack) TCM's again. Not sure now which mine are. So here's a pic - someone tell me which types I have - it does appear that they are different.
Your mid size barrel ramp is the same as my new full size barrel ramp, definitely para/clark.

Your full size is the same barrel my old full size was, it's kind of a modified colt style(colt style frame) with some extra material and a short ramp for casing support to handle the pressure of the TCM cartridge. Is your 9mm barrel a traditional colt style throated barrel? That's what my old gun had. My original TCM the 9mm barrel fit poorly and had feeding issues and actually had casings fail from lack of support, the reason it was replaced under warranty. I feel like if the first run of TCM guns had the modified style 9mm barrels they would have had fewer boomerang guns. That said the newer ones with the para/clark ramps are a vast improvement! Mine eats anything I throw at it and has yet to fail with either caliber.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 PM

The 9mm barrels (I guess as expected) are very much like the TCM barrels. MS (which is newer) on the left and FS on the right. I've run a few hundred rounds through the FS 9mm without any issues. Haven't put any through the MS yet. Is the FS like your old one? And if so, should I be concerned?

Last edited by swmp9jrm; 02-15-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
The 9mm barrels (I guess as expected) are very much like the TCM barrels. MS (which is newer) on the left and FS on the right. I've run a few hundred rounds through the FS 9mm without any issues. Haven't put any through the MS yet. Is the FS like your old one? And if so, should I be concerned?
Yes, that is exactly like my old 9mm barrel that was bad. The barrels from your full size, the older one are substantially different. The 9mm barrel has a lot less case support than the TCM barrel. The original TCM barrels were fully supported all the way around and had that little ramp-like protrusion that lined up better with the frame. 9mm is a lower pressure cartridge so maybe they thought they could get away with a throated barrel, I don't know for sure. They rate their guns to handle +p and mine couldn't get through the 3rd round of +p. What I would do, because it is a legitimate safety concern, is take another 9mm gun with no known issues and plunk some rounds in the barrels and compare the surface area that is exposed. You don't want this happening.....
Attached Thumbnails
smaller2.jpg   smaller fs.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Yep, been my experience that ramped barrels, either Nowlin/Wilson or Clark/Para are superior to un-ramped barrels no matter what the caliber. They more fully support the case head and feed much better. Given the option, I would have one or the other ramp style on any 1911, no matter the caliber, even 45acp.

It's been said that Clark/Para are the stronger of the two ramp designs. Supposedly, the Nowlin/Wilson lug can break. I've never seen it but I guess in heavier recoiling calibers it can happen. I have a Kimber in 38 super that I also have a 7.62x25 Tokarev barrel for that I load to "stupid" levels and it shows no signs of an issue....and it is a N/W ramp.

The ideal situation is what we now have in the 22TCM. Clark/Para ramped barrel and a bottle neck case.

Now...if they would only go to an external extractor like S&W, Coonan and SIG use on their 1911's and cases coming out of the chamber will be as reliable as cartridges going in.