Turret Press? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-25-2015, 01:31 PM

Turret Press?

I currently have a Forster press I use for loading .223 and .308. It does a beautiful job on rifle rounds, but is slow with pistol rounds. I loaded some 38 special with it and it was a slow process. I use the primer on the press feature with the 38 special, but had a ton of misfires/light strikes with several revolvers using CCI Primers. I am looking at a turret press to speed things up, but still have more control over the process than with the progressive so I can check the powder charges, etc.

I am looking at one of the Lee Turret presses or the Lyman Turret, but wanted to see if there was something else to consider? Should I use the press built in priming feature (which worked fine on the rifle stuff) or get a hand priming set up?
Old 12-25-2015, 02:38 PM

I started out many moons ago with a Lyman turret press. I used it for many years, and still use it to work up loads, or a small quantity load. I gave up on the press priming system and got a Hornady hand priming tool, and am much happier. It does a superior and more consistent job on pistol brass.

Many years ago I upgraded to a 650 press with a case feeder. I shoot 1-2/week and needed/wanted a progressive. If I was shooting a lot less, then I would still be handloading on my old Lyman turret press.

Last edited by GT40DOC; 12-25-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:52 PM

I use the Lee Classic Turret - for what I shoot it works great. The Classic is a good bit more substantial than the regular Turret, and worth the difference in price IMHO. I have a turret plate for each caliber, so changing what I'm loading is a one minute process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 02:54 PM

I have a Redding T7. Turrets are a little more convenient than a single stage because the dies are always set up and ready. As far as speed goes a manually indexed turret isn't a lot faster than a single stage. I don't prime on the press. I use a RCBS bench mounted priming tool.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Get either a Lee Auto Prime (not as good as the original model they made but cheap) or (better) the new Lyman E-ZEE Prime which is basically a super heavy duty version of the original (and better) Lee Auto Prime and stop fooling with the press priming.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:36 PM

When I started reloading, I was using a Rockchucker as well as an old Lyman Turrett press. The Lyman was getting worn enough that Deflection differences when seating caused me to stop using it. I now have an RCBS Turrett and Iike it alot. I use the press for priming right after resizing using the primer tubes and the built in priming mechanism, and I'm very satisfied with it. YMMV

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 12-25-2015, 05:54 PM

i only require, cast for, and build 50 45acp cartridges and 100 357/38 cartridges a week for about 40+ weeks a year. i have absolutely no need for a dillon or its ilk. i started off with a lee classic turret, and then went to the redding t7, and they both worked well.

however, i found that a lee classic breech lock was the better route for to go for me, and all loading is done in stages, with the press needed for sizing, expanding and seating (i don't crimp). locking breech locks make swapping dies in and out a breeze, and doing the reloading in stages (clean, size/deprime, prime externally with a lee xr, expand, charge, seat) helps insure safe and consistent rounds. as to your priming misfires, that's one reason i stopped priming on-press and prefer the more tactile feel of the off-press xr primer. i also prefer federal primers over all others.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:39 PM

If you are stuck on a turret, then the Lee Classic Turret is a great press, and will be the fastest turret, as it has auto indexing.

If the whole point is speed, just put your money into a progressive.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:49 PM

I use my Lyman T-Mag as much as I use my 550. I have had good luck with it, and you can keep two sets of pistol dies or 3 sets of Rifle dies in the turret. It has been a great press. I use a RCBS hand primer, and have never even tried the press priming system.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:16 PM

I'm using the same Lyman Spar-T turret press I bought in 1971. It holds two sets of pistol dies and still works great. I guess one day it will wear out, but that might be after I'm gone!

However, I gave up on the press priming system shortly after I got it. I now use a Lee Auto Prime, it's fast and seats the primers better.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 PM

One turret for you to take a look at is the Ponsness Warren Metallic 2. Very nice. I really like mine for both rifle and pistol. You can use any powder measure with it (Quick-Measure currently mounted on it), and prime on or off the press.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 12-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Banned

That Ponsness is new to me, never seen one before. I load on a progressive, but I've been seriously considering a turret for certain tasks. I'm gonna have to do some research on that press.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
One turret for you to take a look at is the Ponsness Warren Metallic 2. Very nice. I really like mine for both rifle and pistol. You can use any powder measure with it (Quick-Measure currently mounted on it), and prime on or off the press.

Thanks for the post, and the photos. Interesting! Will have to investigate further.
Scott
Old 12-26-2015, 08:13 AM

Several friends of mine have the Lee Classic turret press. They really like them once they worked out some kinks.
They run circles around me and my Dillon 550.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Have a Redding T-7 with 3 heads and prime on the press. Very happy with it. It's heavy enough that sizing 308 is no problem.
I don't do the powder measure on the press and rotate the turret thing. I'll size and decap a couple hundred cases, then flare and prime them. I use the Franklin arsenal sized loading trays (excellent) and a uniflow for 50 at a time. May not be the fastest way but the biggest problem I run into is a bad piece of brass that slipped through.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasref View Post
Several friends of mine have the Lee Classic turret press. They really like them once they worked out some kinks.
I don't understand. How can a turret press (4 pulls of handle for 1 round) be faster than a progressive (1 pull of handle for 1 round).

NRA Life Member
Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 AM

I'm with Rod. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
I don't understand. How can a turret press (4 pulls of handle for 1 round) be faster than a progressive (1 pull of handle for 1 round).
Frequent caliber changes? That's why I prefer the RCBS APS 2000, even though it's slower than the Dillon 650 in a straight line. The wife once offered to buy me a bullet collator for Christmas and I declined since it would slow down caliber changes more than it would save.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparke762 View Post
Frequent caliber changes? That's why I prefer the RCBS APS 2000, even though it's slower than the Dillon 650 in a straight line. The wife once offered to buy me a bullet collator for Christmas and I declined since it would slow down caliber changes more than it would save.
Perhaps that's what was meant. But even if the caliber changes are quicker (and we're only talking 5 minutes, max.) the progressive production rate would more than make up the time in a run of 100 rounds.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post

I am with you here. Must be something I don't understand.....quite common these days.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasref View Post
I will happily trade you my single stage press for your 550! I need a second one.

Those turret presses in Texas must be fast because I can load 100 rounds on my 550 in about 7 minutes
Old 12-26-2015, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I will prob get the EZEE Prime and the Lee Classic Turret. I will probably also pick up a motorized case prep station thing (Hornady or Lyman) for the rifle cases; I am using hand tools to deburr and stuff, which takes forever!

I was using the prime on the press on the Forster since it was supposed to seat all primers identically and be simple, but I may go to the hand priming setup and see if that makes a difference. Frustrating to have lots of misfires on my 38 special reloads!

100 rds in 2 hours isn't too bad, but if I can speed things up a bit, I will, but I still want to maintain control over what I am doing to make sure no squibs/double loads, etc sneak thru, so the turret would allow me to stop between each stage and inspect. I figure I can deprime/resize, then expand/bell the brass on the turret by rotating it back and forth, then hand prime while watching TV, then powder measure, bullet seat and crimp afterwards and break it up into stages of case prep/reprime and then powder/seat/crimp. I have one of the Hornady auto powder measures and the quick trickle, which I find to be almost as fast for handgun loading, so I am good for powder measuring stuff.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Personally, I like my Lyman T-Mag.

I like the sturdiness. I like the simplicity of Turret/Caliber Changes.

Realistically I can load 200 .45acp's in about an hour and a half from start to finish,

That's already set up and the brass clean, re-sized and de-primed.

I get good consistent reliable loads.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collo rosso View Post
Have a Redding T-7 with 3 heads and prime on the press. Very happy with it. It's heavy enough that sizing 308 is no problem.
I don't do the powder measure on the press and rotate the turret thing. I'll size and decap a couple hundred cases, then flare and prime them. I use the Franklin arsenal sized loading trays (excellent) and a uniflow for 50 at a time. May not be the fastest way but the biggest problem I run into is a bad piece of brass that slipped through.
Always wondered what you do with the 7 stations in a T7?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs View Post
I will happily trade you my single stage press for your 550! I need a second one.

Those turret presses in Texas must be fast because I can load 100 rounds on my 550 in about 7 minutes
Wow. I guess I am doing things the slow way using a manual indexing lee turret with external priming and charging.