Want to do a ambi safety lever delete pt1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 01:56 PM

Want to do a ambi safety lever delete pt1911

And go to a single left side lever only. Where can I get this part and.....not have a hole on oposite side. Is it posible to leave my oem leftside lever and plug the right side ?
Old 12-07-2015, 02:07 PM

You need a standard safety which will have a full length pin that reaches through the entire frame. The pin will come slightly out the other side and fill the hole. Read up on how to fit the thumb safety because it almost certainly will not drop in (and you really don't want a safety that drops in). Do a search for 1911 thumb safety and you'll see plenty for sale and instructions on how to fit it.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Ditto to what Drail said for installing.

As for buying them and or to at least see a multitude of brands/options go to Brownell's website.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 02:54 PM

"go to Brownell's website"... Oh, NOW you've done it!!! Take him straight to the main crack dealer........
Old 12-07-2015, 03:07 PM

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...le-safety.html

Keep the original and install it if you ever need to send it in for warranty work. Taurus will void the warranty for anything performed by you beyond the field strip level. A complete take down voids the warranty if they become aware of it.

Last edited by bamashooter; 12-07-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:11 PM

Crack Kills - - - - - Your Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
"go to Brownell's website"... Oh, NOW you've done it!!! Take him straight to the main crack dealer........
Amen brother D, I'm Jonesing for some tools as I type. Sometimes I can't afford new guns 'cause I spent my money with Dr. Brownell. And Dr. Potterfield at Midway is in on it too.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Pushers....... When I first started into the world of 1911 work I had Brownells's and King's Gun Works phone numbers on speed dial and knew my Visa card numbers by heart. Work my butt off all week so I could buy more tools. The girls on the order desk knew me by name. Ay chihuahua....... I'm all better now. Broke and retired. I'm just glad I got all of the guns I'll ever need back when they were affordable. I don't know how guys can afford to do it now.

Last edited by drail; 12-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Banned

I am a fan of the Wilson bullet proof safety. They are available pretty much everywhere.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Banned

Let me add, I always delete the ambi safety on my guns and have fit many many safetys. It is not hard and it helps that you have the functual ambi safety to look at, it will help you know where to file on your new safety. It really is very very easy, just take your time and go slow. There are many youtube videos on how to approach the fitting process.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Brownells and midway crack dealers of tools and parts ? I just realized im an addict oooooo nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...le-safety.html

Keep the original and install it if you ever need to send it in for warranty work. Taurus will void the warranty for anything performed by you beyond the field strip level. A complete take down voids the warranty if they become aware of it.
Woa Woa just a second I bead blasted and clearcoated my slide only, Has my warranty gone to beeeeep ? ............Anyone ? "Beyond Field Strip"
Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 PM

I don't know about finishes but it's an absolute fact about the other.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Never had Taurus deny a warranty repair no matter how hat I'd done. They are slow, unorganized and sometimes take several tries, but they haven't turned me down.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 AM

I recently eliminated the ambi on a Citadel, found a GI style safety at MGW.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:11 PM

I bought the Wilson 'Value Line' safety for my Taurus, mid height. I didn't really hate the ambi as much as I resented how it loosened up and tried to come out of the RH side, even with the retaining lever under the grip.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
I bought the Wilson 'Value Line' safety for my Taurus, mid height. I didn't really hate the ambi as much as I resented how it loosened up and tried to come out of the RH side, even with the retaining lever under the grip.

Thats a clean lookin gun nice grips.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfire View Post
Never had Taurus deny a warranty repair no matter how hat I'd done. They are slow, unorganized and sometimes take several tries, but they haven't turned me down.

Jeff
Well that's good but that's the way it is. If they gain knowledge or discovery you did a complete disassembly, they can and have / will void the warranty. A poor soul over at the taurusarmed forum contacted Taurus cs with an issue. During the conversation he stated he had performed a disassembly and right then and there they voided his warranty. Unless the manuals have changed, the only verbage regarding going beyond a field strip is something to the effect of "we recommend a qualified gunsmith" or some such nonsense. Seven pages but page 2 has the response from Taurus about the matter. On page 2 scroll down to the 7th remark by Big Skiff. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...ew-pistol.html

Page 13 first post regarding altering the finish: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...al-ceo-13.html

Items 3/4; first post: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...it-taurus.html

I did see that "for a fee" reinstatement of voided warranties will be considered.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 PM

I'm sure someone will trade you. Ambi for regular. I did.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
Well that's good but that's the way it is. If they gain knowledge or discovery you did a complete disassembly, they can and have / will void the warranty. A poor soul over at the taurusarmed forum contacted Taurus cs with an issue. During the conversation he stated he had performed a disassembly and right then and there they voided his warranty. Unless the manuals have changed, the only verbage regarding going beyond a field strip is something to the effect of "we recommend a qualified gunsmith" or some such nonsense. Seven pages but page 2 has the response from Taurus about the matter. On page 2 scroll down to the 7th remark by Big Skiff. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...ew-pistol.html

Page 13 first post regarding altering the finish: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...al-ceo-13.html

Items 3/4; first post: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...it-taurus.html

I did see that "for a fee" reinstatement of voided warranties will be considered.
They Rhino lined a whole Jeep Cherokee. .......lol
Old 12-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lbPull View Post
I'm sure someone will trade you. Ambi for regular. I did.
That assumes that the safeties will go in without fitting or that there will be enough material on them to allow fitting. Neither is likely. In the second case if one does have enough material to remove so that it properly engages the sear in its new home then the one removed will have too little material to fit on the other gun. No drop in parts, especially fire control items.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
That assumes that the safeties will go in without fitting or that there will be enough material on them to allow fitting. Neither is likely. In the second case if one does have enough material to remove so that it properly engages the sear in its new home then the one removed will have too little material to fit on the other gun. No drop in parts, especially fire control items.
This... That is exactly right. Once a safety is fitted to a gun, it's married to it for life in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:20 AM

Watch the online videos. It is pretty easy if you take your time.

Also, take your hammer and sear pins out and install backwards while fitting. There is a point where the safety will pop in, not index properly, and is hell to get out. If you have the pins in backwards, you can just remove them and everything will come out pretty easily.