1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-05-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmp9jrm View Post
I've got two TCMs - a full size and a mid-size. The FS had issues with stuck cases occasionally for the first 150 rounds or so - the stuck cases were longer (1.03+) but not all long cases stuck. The MS has had a single stuck case out of the second magazine I shot with the same lots of factory ammo. Despite these findings, I'm convince that the root cause of the stuck case issue is the ammo, not the gun. I found very significant reduction (to virtually none) on stuck cases by thoroughly cleaning the chamber and the chamber/bore transition with an AR chamber brush and by running a bore snake through the gun after every couple of magazines fired for the first 300-400 rounds. Read your manual - RIA says that it will take 500 rounds to 'break in' this gun. They aren't kidding about this. Both my guns now have over 500 rounds through them and I've not had a stuck case in a good while. If you check the other threads about this issue, it seems that pretty much everyone who is reloading the TCM does NOT have this stuck case issue - likely because most folks trim the cases to the proper length.

So don't give up on the TCMs - put some effort into keeping it clean and put rounds through it. It will most likely get to running a whole lot better.

+1, I also use the AR brush when cleaning. This has quickly become one of my favorite guns.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Ran a box through my full size today - smooth as glass!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Thanks all

I certainly don't intend to "give up" .
got to stay at least til the water gets hot..

Got ammo on the way
got dies on the way

Got a "little bit" of sense not to jack anything up too bad

..L.T.A.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM

I finally found some H-110 and I'm getting ready to start reloading the TCM - my first attempt at bottleneck handgun cartridges. A little trepidation considering how hot these rounds are. One thing I'm not sure about is primers - I've read small pistol, magnum small pistol, magnum small rifle. What are you TCM reloaders using?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:14 PM

Some of the best TCM loading info on the .22TCM.net forum. Keystoneweaponsbill is putting together a spread sheet of all the loading data, etc and has a lot of info he is compiling. Worth a looksee. Primers is also talked about. Bill also has several Youtube videos on reloading the TCM
Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhopper View Post
Keystoneweaponsbill is putting together a spread sheet of all the loading data, etc and has a lot of info he is compiling.
I registered and was over there
Is that Bill guy going to post all the info there?
cause i don't want to wade thru another site

..L.T.A.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post
I registered and was over there
Is that Bill guy going to post all the info there?
cause i don't want to wade thru another site

..L.T.A.
Can't answer that one. Shoot him a private message. He is one of the moderators on the site. His Youtube videos are very good
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Morning gents, figured that it's been a while since I visited the Rockpile and that it was time to see what was going on. Not much has changed in some ways...
Hi, Cappi; first, my grandson is back from deployment and sends his regards. Second, I posted some info over a year ago about case sticking in my TCM. The problem that I found was that some brass was swelling upon discharge at a point about 3mm up from the extractor groove. This happened with a batch of ammo that Night Al and I shared that we bought in '13. The area of swelling was about at the point where the cartridge material thins from the heavier mass around the base of the brass. It didn't happen with every round but just enough to get my complete attention since I had to use dowel or brass range-rod to free them enough to get the gun operational again. Since then I give the chamber extra attention when I clean the piece and also have been giving it a warm Froglube treatment to try to introduce some lubrication in there. I've been away from shooting it (or anything else) for a while so I don't know if the problem was definitely ammo-related or what else but from what I observed the anomaly was not caused by the gun.

Last edited by OldEagleEars; 04-06-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 PM

tell your Grand Son THANKS!!!

I'm encouraged .
My ammo came today.
I went out back with a dirty chamber and pistol and proceeded to rip thru 75 rnds without a bobble

50rnds of Pi made and 25 rnds US made ...as i dodged rain drops and called it quits

ammo?
"break-in"??

donno, but I'm pleased again.
and if it ever quits raining, I'll run some more

..LT.A.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
It's a 9mm too.
But it has nose dive issues.
Got those mostly squared away..but i already have a 9mm 1911.
I don't have much interest in another...and in particular, a finicky one that needs specific ammo and tuned mags to run.

I can put up with that for TCM , but not 9mm when i already have lots of guns chambered in 9 that run fine

..L.T.A.
^gotcha Cappi, and i sympathize with as well, i only made the 9mm comment because i've heard of the 9mm/22TCM model having problems with the TCM ammo and the 9mm running flawlessly before, i don't own one yet, those 9mm/22TCM models are scarce in my area and when they do come up for sale the price is about $850+ for them, and that's about $100-250 more than i'm willing to pay for one, even though it is two hi-cap/double stack guns in one package, and i am also "holding out" for the hope that RIA/Armscor introduces a true CMD sized 9mm/22TCM model, i know of the "midsize" model but it is a 4" barrel, and thus not a true CMD and IIRC, the "midsize" doesn't have a fullsize frame like a true CMD does.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 AM

Mine is back at Parumph right now.
Grouped fine for 500 rounds 9mm break-in.
With TCM factory loads, it could barely hold 6 inches at 10 yards.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:22 PM

For those of you who have nose dives is it possible to install something like EGW Raise Mag Catch? Or are the dimensions so far off that it wouldn't work (Single stack to double stack?)
Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroman View Post
With TCM factory loads, it could barely hold 6 inches at 10 yards.
unfortunate
from a rest, I can poke 3" groups @ 25yrds all day long

Quote:
For those of you who have nose dives is it possible to install something like EGW Raise Mag Catch? Or are the dimensions so far off that it wouldn't work
single stack mag catch isn't compatible with double stacks, Budda.

some of the contributing factors (pure speculation now)
There's no frame ramp to speak of on the TCM/9 .
the next thing is, it's not a genuine 9mm mag (with spacer) ...it's a 38 super mag .
You can only throat the barrel so far before case support becomes a real concern

Mine will feed, of all things, cheap ole Tula steel case
and I'm good with that

..L.T.A.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
unfortunate
from a rest, I can poke 3" groups @ 25yrds all day long
Yeah, very unfortunate, and weird. I can easily do 6" groups at 25 yards free standing.....This is a target from my 2nd trip to the range from my TCM. 38/40 within the 8" circle at a freestanding 25 yards
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0028.jpg  

Last edited by MANual_puller; 04-07-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:

single stack mag catch isn't compatible with double stacks, Budda.
Shame, you'd think they would make one for a double stack, seems like it would solve a lot of issues...