Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM

dilema - throw down gun?

alright here is the situation - BG invades house with evil intent

question? do you grab your Ed Brown and comence to put and end to the confrontation

OR

do you pick up your equally as deadly brand x .45 ACP?

now assume "good guy" prevails and BG dies

you know full well that the authoritities will be keeping your fine shooting iron for as long as it takes for the legal machinery to run it's course

even if justifiable is the criminal law end result, certain civil procedures make keep the ball rolling for many more months to come

I ask this as it has come to my attention that I would #1 NOT like to have this fine firearm away from home for a long time and #2 heaven forbide some "gunsmith" disassemble to look for "illegal modifications"

have others of you bught a less expensive but 100% reliable 1911 for home defense? Or a "plastic gun" in the event that this scenario would arise? perhaps the tactical shotgun is of considerable benefit in just such a situation?

is it possible to own a gun that is TOO GOOD to shoot someone with?

FUEL FOR THOUGHT or DISCUSSION?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot 1911 View Post
FUEL FOR THOUGHT or DISCUSSION?
No. If you ever have to shoot somone a $2000 pistol will be the least of your worries.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 PM

I'm in Texas. As long as it's a clean shoot, it won't be long until I get it back. All of my guns are higher end. My cheapest 1911 is $1,500. But, if someone comes in my home I'll be picking up the Noveske, so my carry gun will be safe in it's holster.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 06:36 PM

I know some guys that have Browns;but,won't carry them because they might be confiscated or some such.

Seems counterproductive to me.

PS:I do not have a Brown.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
#2 heaven forbide some "gunsmith" disassemble to look for "illegal modifications"
Would you happen to have an example of a justified shooting where a "gunsmith"
disassembled the shooter's weapon to look for "illegal modifications"?

What would be some examples of illegal modifications to a 1911?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 PM

I agree with carrots. The lawsuit will keep your mind off your gun. Even if it is justified you will be sued.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM

I call shotgun!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetztrp View Post
I agree with carrots. The lawsuit will keep your mind off your gun. Even if it is justified you will be sued.
Depends where you live.
Here in Florida, if it is a legal shoot
there is no basis for a civil suit.
http://www.gunlaws.com/FloridaCastleDoctrine.htm
Old 04-09-2010, 07:59 PM

2 of my Browns are bought for protection. A Kobra Carry and a 5 inch Special Forces.

If these guns are in rotation and someone is needing to be shot, they will be used to stop the SOB of tring to hurt me or my wife.

I'm not looking for trouble, but I am ready in the event it ever would happen. I'm not worried about the pending lawsuit as I have insurance thru the NRA exactly for this cause.

When the gun is returned to me, it would be worth more to me as a bit of history is forged into it's S/N.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Yeah we have the castle Doctrine here in ohio also and it helps a lot but chances are you are going to end up in court no matter what. Hold on let me think. Come to think about it. About a month ago a guy came home to find three guys in his house and he shot and killed one and injured another one and within a week he was cleared of all charges in toledo. Still i could wait to get my talon back and if it was messed up which it surely will be then it would be a good reason to get it refinished.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 PM

I must be missing something!

This is a trick question right.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:43 PM

My KC is my primary carry piece, and it stays on my hip when I am up and about the house. When we hit the rack for the night, the 870 is next to my bed. I'm expect that if there ever comes a time that I have to use one of these or any other firearm to save my life or the life of a loved one or any other innocent person, I won't be thinking about how long the authorities might keep the weapon. Or about any lawsuit, for that matter.

I pray to the Almighty that day never comes.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM

I would not care even if I had to use a GI Singer with the serial number 0001.

Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM

no trick question

this is not intended as a "trick question" - just thinking outloud from a person who has grown up shooting rifles since 6yrs old - first NRA riflemanship class at 8yrs old - avid birdhunter for over 43yrs - competitive sporting clays for over 15 years

guys - I have just for the first time ever begun to think about home invasion self defense - why, I work away from home 21days every other 21days - wife summoned the sheriff last time I was away and forty minutes later they arrived, we live in the country - she is a shooter (rifles, a lot) neither of us have much time with pistols - when I returned we attended NRA Basic Pistol - we have since returned for a private lesson and she fell in love with 1911 - we now own one and I am responsible for charting a path of training for her to use the best tool for the job and get her mental and physical training in order

i'm not sure what "castle laws" Louisiana has but breaking and entering with a perceived threat was discussed in class, so she pretty much has a legal green light to apply lethal force if BG is present and approaching - I hope this scenario NEVER happens to either of us

one MUST consider that the primary reason for us to own such a nice and powerful weapon is to defend ourself in our house - we do not intend to get concealed carry license - car carry will be good enough for us - and we love shooting the big 45

most of the replies indicate that having your gun impounded for an indeterminate amount of time would be a minor distraction compared with the other realities involved - I agree

I guess when in class it was discussed that some lawyers tried to paint the gun owner/shooter as gun crazed or somehow a pre-meditated killer if they improved their weapon to shoot more easily or accurately in an effort to gain ground in the eyes of a jury, on behalf of the deceased persons family

when one actually starts studying all of the potential consequences associated with the use of lethal force it can boggle the mind - no wonder our LEO's sometimes put themselves at risk having to be ever so vigilant in split second decisions regarding legal liability versus survival!!!!!!!

just something to think about along the path in my mental preparations and resolve training
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Suspended

honestly Clint Smith says it best, the pistol is used to get you to the rifle you should have had to start with, if out and about get the best carry gun you can, after all how much is your/her life worth, for home get a 12 gauge set up for home defense, can't go wrong with 00 buckshot
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
when one actually starts studying all of the potential consequences associated with the use of lethal force it can boggle the mind - no wonder our LEO's sometimes put themselves at risk having to be ever so vigilant in split second decisions regarding legal liability versus survival!!!!!!!
Consider now the consequences of not using lethal, when such force is necessary...because you were thinking about what might happen with your gun?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM

I agree with Clint. Pistols suck. Rifles suck less.

This is an age old debate. It is more a reflection of the owner's mindset than the "value" of the weapon. Some people see value in dollars. Others see value in quality.

I see value in survival.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrots View Post
No. If you ever have to shoot somone a $2000 pistol will be the least of your worries.
+2. If I need to defend myself, I want to do it with the best gun I have, one I carry.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 PM

You live in the country so I would look to having a rifle for home defense over either shot gun or pistol. And you mention your wife has mostly rifle experience so her comfort level is good over a pistol which she is less practiced with. On top of the rifle being a much better fight stopper.

In response to your original thought, I do not in the least worry about having my primary sidearm impounded. I keep a quality backup carry piece*, that I'm confident in, for such an event.

*Quality backup carry piece = a second Ed Brown Feel free to use this logic when you explain to your wife the importance of having another Brown.

~Q~
Old 04-10-2010, 03:36 AM

I won't say I wouldn't use a 1911 for home defense but I'd prefer a good scattergun over one. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 etc....can't go wrong with one of those workhorses in whatever configuration works best for you.

If you MUST use a pistol....the most simple to operate and most reliable would not be a 1911. It wouldn't even be a Glock. I don't care if it's the nicest, highest performing 1911 out there....I'll take a S&W revolver ANY day. It's simply more reliable. You get a dud? Doesn't fire? Keep pulling, you could have the crappiest ammo or the worst luck and I figure ONE of those rounds is going off . For home defense a wheel gun is my go to when it's not a shotgun. The last thing I'd want to do rolling out of bed at any given hour of the night is having to fumble with racking a round or deactivating a safety.....it's easier for me to rack a shotgun than a pistol when I'm woolheaded and sleepy eyed and even easier to pick up a revolver and squeeze a trigger.

I have two 686's that I have set up the way I like....I won't miss one of them too terribly much while it's being processed by the police or whatever it is they do. Also have a 5' 44 mag. I've been wondering if keeping some 44 specials in the mag might be better than a .357 magnum. I kind of switch off. I don't shoot much 44 so I wouldn't miss that gun much either. I'd DEFINITELY miss a high end 1911.

Like others here have said before me...I'd be worried about any possible legal repercussions after the fact. I value my families lives, my life, my freedom and then my property in that order. I'd be worried about either my freedom or property if I had to actually shoot someone at that point. You never know what can happen with our legal system. Especially here in California.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM

God forbid it happens at my house. The bad guys will get 77gr mk262 out of my colt M4 until they stop.

I do find it odd that nobody has mentioned the following in regards to defending their abode:

1) Dogs, alert you and get the sleepies shaken out of you.
2) Get to your safe area, dial 911, put it on speaker.
3) Do not go out and play operator, stay put.
4) If they breach your safe zone and find you, announce, "I am willing to defend myself" while on the phone with the police.
5) If they don't and attempt to assail you, well, they picked their doom and you will be subject to whatever consequeces the law may deem.
6) One story, yours, should be the one the only one told. Dead criminals cannot twist the story to their advantage. "I thought is was my house, I was wasted."

Make sure whatever weapon you use has a light on it as well. IDENTIFY THE THREAT.

I'd rather my rifle/pistol with rail than a shotgun due to my house's layout.

An SF with a rail and noght sights would be fantastic for those wanting a pistol for HD.

I also agree with the comment by Carrots, who cares about what you use monetarily? if you have to defend yourself and the gun gets locked up, then it does. You are alive, hopefully well and at some point you will get it back.

http://1911enthusiast.com/showthread...ssional-PC9111
Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM

so long as I am safe, and my family is, I could care less what happens to the gun. guns are material items that can be replaced, loved ones are not.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkroll32 View Post
so long as I am safe, and my family is, I could care less what happens to the gun. guns are material items that can be replaced, loved ones are not.

http://1911enthusiast.com/showthread...ssional-PC9111
Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goetztrp View Post
You live in Ohio Bro..ever hear of the Castle Doctrine and how it protects homeowners from lawsuits
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Read post number 10 of this thread and you will see i know that.
Closed Thread