Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
Gun fan,
There's not really interference. And there is no "lack of travel" issue. The mainspring just doesn't have enough power left at the top of its movement to overpower the firing pin spring. That is all. It bothers my OCD, so I may end up installing a slightly longer hammer strut, or maybe a new main spring from wolf that is 1 lb heavier. The issue could just be a out of spec mainspring.

That would be the place I would personally start, buy a new mainspring and see what happens.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:12 PM

Megafiddle ,
I tried what you said, no change. This happens not just from dry firing. Its whenever the hammer is down.

Anyone know where I can buy a 23 lb compact mainspring?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:22 PM

Anyone know if this will work in mine?

https://www.egwguns.com/officers-mai...mer-ismi-23-lb
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 PM

"The answer is the Range Officer Compact, a 4-inch-barreled version on an officer's-sized frame designed for either competitive shooting or concealed carry use."
as per enclosed article:
https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...ficer-compact/

so , yes.

EGW is closed for now try wolff

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/OFFI...mID1/dID69#791

Last edited by ccssid; 03-24-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:50 PM

Just ordered a 23 lb flat wire mainspring from Wilson combat. It will take a couple weeks for it to get here, but I'll report back. It should fix the issue.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:26 PM

I have the same make and model. Itís a very nice 1911.

Listen to the advice to clean the firing pin channel. If itís new to you, the first thing you should do is field strip and clean.

Iíd leave the grinding to a qualified 1911 gunsmith (and given this is new, those are found at SA).
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 AM

I had similar problem with new Springfield 1911 9mm compact. The hammer spring ( mainspring) was too short - wrong one probably or factory defect.
Sent back to Springfield, prompt repair. Springfield has one of the best customer services I have ever dealt with. Give them a call.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:04 PM

With the slide off, you'll experience a very little fore and aft play and this is normal (depending on hammer strut length) because the hammer rests farther forward with slide off than with it on, the slide at rear rest, is holding the hammer to the rear against main spring tension. Modern 1911 hammers are regularly sold with their upper width "under-cut" so as not to rub on the slide. This under-cut (usually .020 inch .010 per side) is an old trick used by gunsmiths in the past to facilitate uninhibited movement of the hammer, now a lot of hammers are made that way. You don't need lay-out die, just take a magic-marker and paint the sides of your hammer where it encounters the slide and look for scratches. You can take your hammer (cleared weapon) out and stone it to free it up...if this is beyond your skill set...gunsmiths can do it. To us old owners, it's easy peasy, but if you feel uneasy...be safe and send it out.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Warning: With the slide removed from the frame, do not pull the trigger and let the hammer fly forward under the full spring force. Hold on to the hammer if you pull the trigger.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 PM

Update: I got the flat wire hammer spring (23 lb compact/officer) in the mail from Wilson and it didn't fit into the mainspring housing!! Diameter is too large! Having the worst luck with this. Does anyone know what manufacturers have the same inner diameter for their mainspring housings? Dies anyone know if a colt mainspring would fit in my springfield?

Last edited by Alphadog; 03-30-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:45 PM

One of us is confused. Flat wire recoil spring doesn't fit mainspring housing? It's not supposed to.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Update: I got the flat wire recoil spring (23 lb compact/officer) in the mail from Wilson and it didn't fit into the mainspring housing!! Diameter is too large! Having the worst luck with this. Does anyone know what manufacturers have the same inner diameter for their mainspring housings? Dies anyone know if a colt mainspring would fit in my springfield?
Because a recoil spring is not a mainspring. Two different animals. Recoil springs go in the slide under the barrel. Mainsprings go in the mainspring housing.

Look here down the page - https://www.gunsprings.com/SPRINGFIE...1/mID60/dID269

Hammer Spring
Not for use in ILS Model Pistols - Please reference note at top of page or on the 1911 page.
Note: Springfield Champion uses full size Colt hammer springs.

For Use in:
Compact, Ultra Compact, & V10

Reduced Power...: 19 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 22 Lb.
Extra Power.........: None Available

Last edited by BBBBill; 03-30-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:57 PM

My mistake... mainspring **
Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 PM

Try this:

Reassemble the mainspring housing with the original spring, except insert the mainspring cap retaining pin from the outside of the mainspring housing instead of the inside. Leave just enough of the pin's head protruding so you can grab it and pull it out later. But also make sure enough of the pin is sitting inside the mainspring housing to retain the mainspring cap.

Reassemble the gun. Cock the hammer and pull out the mainspring cap retaining pin.

The hammer now has full travel under tension. If the problem you were noticing is now gone, there was nothing wrong with your stock spring.

(edited)

Before disassembling, cock hammer, and insert mainspring cap retaining pin from outside again. Then uncock hammer before removing mainspring housing.

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 03-30-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 AM

Yes a colt spring will fit.

David
Old 04-01-2020, 06:24 PM

Colt springs on the way from wolff
Old 04-02-2020, 06:31 AM

Replacing a hammer strut.....

Not all 1911 handguns, even with different frames and slide lengths, will have the same specs for the parts they use.....

If you have a Springfield Compact, it would be best to get Springfield Armory parts if available.

I have had shorter hammer struts in the past, but was able to heat the end that fits into the mainspring cap recess with a torch until it was bright orange, than carefully hammered the end on my large vise, which made it slightly longer but somewhat flatter..... after it let it cool, I then rounded the flattened part to make a longer and better length to fit into the mainspring housing cap.....this helped to solve the problem of the "loose hammer" issue you described.

When the hammer is cycling, it should never touch the slides of the slide cut before striking the firing pin.... It is not too difficult to make a hardened steel hammer thinner on the sides using hand tools, but care needs to be taken..... if you use a grinder, or even a good belt sander, you do not want to let the metal to get too hot, since it will change the hardness/temper of the steel...... However, with a new gun, I would think the factory should fix the issue if the hammer is contacting the sides of the slide.....
Old 04-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Update: the colt springs came in the mail...still too big to fit in the housing! I should have just bought a longer strut from day 1...springfield must use an unconventional inner diameter for their mainspring housings . I may just buy an aftermarket mainspring housing or just a hammer strut. Haven't decided yet.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:44 PM

New update : bought a Wilson hammer strut because they claim its longer than normal. The overall length was actually shorter than the one that came out of the Springfield. The end that engages the mainspring cup was larger and an oval vs the Springfields circular and smaller end. So I gave it a shot anyways, thinking it may ride higher on the cup.
The same issue persists. Pretty disappointed in Springfield with the hammer stut, mainspring housing, mainspring cap , and mainspring pin retainer being more "proprietary " in nature.

The only thing that will fix this is ordering a new mainshousing, cap, and retainer thats made to normal 1911 specs. Then I can throw one of my extra power colt springs in there and fix the issue.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Listen to BBBBill. You need to get SPRINGFIELD specific springs from Wolff. Not Colt. I replaced the sear, hammer and disconnector in my RO Elite Compact with a 5 piece C&S Tactical 2 kit. They replaced the standard length mainspring for a compact one but I had the same issue: the diameter was to big to fit the mainspring housing. After speaking to Kevin at C&S, he gave me the correct part number for the Wolff springs (in the link BBBBill provided) and they fit perfectly. The standard 22lb spring is part number 31122.

BTW, if you still want to change your hammer strut for one slightly oversized, look at the one from C&S.
https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0019

Last edited by Welder Guy; 04-26-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:28 PM

I did change my strut to a slightly oversized one. The original strut that came with the gun must be exxxtra long or something. I already have a new housing on the way to fit my cost mainspring. WOLFF only makes the Springfield size spring in 22 lbs. I need stronger than that.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:04 PM

I've been shooting and messing with 1911's for over 50 years. I have never had such a bad time of understanding a problem as yours.

You have a new in the box Springfield. You talked to Springfield and they didn't think what you described to them is a problem. You have shot the gun 150 rounds and there is nary a malfunction; it shoots fine. The gun is under warranty but you keep buying springs, struts and whatever which wouldn't have cost you a cent if you had sent it back under warranty.

I'll be perfectly honest and I am not trying to be rude. From the little bit I was able to understand your problem, and I do mean very little, it seems to me that you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist?
Old 04-30-2020, 01:52 PM

Hub1home, you are perfectly correct. But my OCD will not tolerate the wiggle. I was planning on replacing all the internal parts anyways with better stuff. I did not lose any money on springs. I returned one of them. And am currently using the Wolff colt springs in my proper sized Wilson mainspring housing. The new housing assembly solved my "issue". I cannot believe how strong this firing pin spring is.. it did cost me 50$, but now I have better machined internals and I didn't have to wait forever for Springfield to work their magic (in these uncertain times, could take months) and didn't have to pay for shipping.

I'm happy this is finally put to rest and I'm closer to fully "bulletproofing " my gun.

Thank you all for your time.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Hub1home, you are perfectly correct. But my OCD will not tolerate the wiggle. I was planning on replacing all the internal parts anyways with better stuff. I did not lose any money on springs. I returned one of them. And am currently using the Wolff colt springs in my proper sized Wilson mainspring housing. The new housing assembly solved my "issue". I cannot believe how strong this firing pin spring is.. it did cost me 50$, but now I have better machined internals and I didn't have to wait forever for Springfield to work their magic (in these uncertain times, could take months) and didn't have to pay for shipping.

I'm happy this is finally put to rest and I'm closer to fully "bulletproofing " my gun.

Thank you all for your time.

I am very glad that you got everything fixed to your and your OCD's satisfaction? I think my old age is finally catching up to me. What is an OCD ?
Old 05-01-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
What is an OCD ?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder