Help.. I need a hammer for my '67 commander - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 05:42 PM

Help.. I need a hammer for my '67 commander

Hello All. I picked up a nice 1967 Colt Commander off gunbroker. It looks like a good one except along the way a spur hammer was installed. I'd like to find an original or era correct ss ring hammer. If anyone has any leads it sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 06:04 PM
1911 Aficionado

You don't want stainless, if you want period correct.
You'll also need a Commander grip safety, as the hammer won't work with a Government Model GS.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:18 PM

Thanks man, i guess im not familiar with commanders, ive owned 15 Gvt. and GCNM. I saw this blued colt hammer on ebay still orig. wrapped, does it look correct to you ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
You don't want stainless, if you want period correct.

You'll also need a Commander grip safety, as the hammer won't work with a Government Model GS.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:12 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
does it look correct to you
I think Colt brand "Commander hammers", which have been used over the years on guns other than Commanders, have a countersink that runs around the edge of the hole.
the only example I have is on my Delta Elite, and it has the countersink.

EDIT: The countersink appears to be something introduced along the way, so the pictured hammer may be correct for an early Commander.

Last edited by RickB; 03-22-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I think Colt brand "Commander hammers", which have been used over the years on guns other than Commanders, have a countersink that runs around the edge of the hole.
the only example I have is on my Delta Elite, and it has the countersink.

EDIT: The countersink appears to be something introduced along the way, so the pictured hammer may be correct for an early Commander.
I had new commander that had NO countersink and it was from 1990.

I believe the 67 vintage would have a blued or a "in the white" non countersunk hammer. I don't know for sure. Easy to find out.

You will need a "nub" grip safety also to make it 100% correct externally.

Last edited by joebuck; 03-22-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Colt hammers are completely blued except for the sides where they're exposed outside the frame. The lower portions of the flats are still blued. They have also always been machined from barstock steel, not cast. It's hard to tell if that hammer is a legit Colt because it's inside shrink wrap. The card itself looks a little too plain to be Colt's in my opinion, but I haven't seen many retail-packaged OEM Colt parts over the years to be honest.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Rice View Post
Hello All. I picked up a nice 1967 Colt Commander off gunbroker. It looks like a good one except along the way a spur hammer was installed. I'd like to find an original or era correct ss ring hammer. If anyone has any leads it sure would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/ignition-sets-parts
I'm not sure if it's era correct.

Pedro.
VCDL
Old 03-22-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It's hard to tell if that hammer is a legit Colt because it's inside shrink wrap. The card itself looks a little too plain to be Colt's in my opinion, but I haven't seen many retail-packaged OEM Colt parts over the years to be honest.
Looks like it's from here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Colt-S...cAAOSw41xXOmtF

The packaging cards were pretty plain on the front.

-
Old 03-23-2020, 09:58 AM

Not 100% what you want but the hammer on top is a new Commander hammer ordered from Brownells a couple years ago. The one in the middle came out of a 1980 Combat Commander. Ignore the one at the bottom as it is out of a 2014 SA RO.

And another view of the three hammers.....

I took these pictures to show the difference between the newer Colt "quarter shelf" and the older halfcock notch. I included the RO as the SA hammer has both.

The slight recess is interesting as below is the 1980 on the bottom whose hammer is in the pictures above and on top is a 1982 Combat Commander which does seem to have a slight recess around the hole.

Maybe it was whoever machined the hammer.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:04 AM
1911 Aficionado

I googled "colt commander", scrutinized the hammers, and there appears to be no consistency regarding the presence or absence of countersinks.
I found pics of two Series 80 Commanders, made within a year of each other, one had a countersunk hammer and the other didn't.
An early post-war gun with, a 1970s gun without.
Some might not have the original hammer.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:16 AM

I like the hammer in the pistol now. If your new Colt works fine, leave it be.