9mm 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 03:00 PM

9mm 1911

I am thinking about picking up a 9mm 1911 this summer and thought that I would start doing my homework.

I am looking for the following:

9mm
5Ē bbl
Steel frame and slide (no, I am not interested in a lightweight aluminum or alloy frame but I am fine with either carbon steel or stainless steel)
No firing pin safety (Series 70 type)
Decent fixed sights (not interested in adjustable sights)
$1000.00 price range

I am most familiar with the Springfield line of 1911ís, but they do not seem to have a full size 1911 in 9mm with fixed rear sight, unless I go with the Operator (rail on the dust cover, and I havenít decided if I want that yet) or the Ronin Operator (Blued slide with Stainless frame, which would be fine, but I would prefer a finish other than blued).

Anybody have any other suggestions on make/models that I should be looking at?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Colt, Ruger SR 1911, Rock Island Armory, S&W, Remington, ATI, ..... And many others.
Or you could go a little above your price point and look at Dan Wesson or triple it and look at Wilson, Les Bear & Nighthawk.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 03-21-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:19 PM

I have a DW PM9 nice piece but over budget unless you fing a used one. I'm also really pleased with my Colt GCNM in 9mm but it's blue. Those and my BHP are all I own in 9s, Im sure more members will advise. Happy Hunting...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 03:36 PM

Iíd look at Baer & Wesson above your price point for really exceptional quality. At your point Iíd go Colt, shoot and upgrade it later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 PM

You can buy the SA and swap out sights...

That SA Loaded is a great shooter OP....
Old 03-21-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
You can buy the SA and swap out sights...

That SA Loaded is a great shooter OP....
This.

You can buy any of the SA adjustable sighted guns, and get an after market fixed sight to replace it. Not ideal, but certainly doable.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 03-21-2020, 09:58 PM

If you go SA then you also should also swap out their ILS MSH for a standard MSH.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:43 AM

Why yes ...

"9mm
5” bbl
Steel frame and slide (no, I am not interested in a lightweight aluminum or alloy frame but I am fine with either carbon steel or stainless steel)
No firing pin safety (Series 70 type)
Decent fixed sights (not interested in adjustable sights)
$1000.00 price range"

A 9mm Government Model offers a lot of carefree fun at the range. I enjoy shooting this older Colt. These are occasional still seen in decent used shape for less than $1000. It doesn't see any carry duty though because they also make 1911-guns with bigger holes in their muzzles.

I'm not that fond of 9mm for "serious social purposes."
Old 03-22-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp67 View Post
If you go SA then you also should also swap out their ILS MSH for a standard MSH.

My RO Elite Operator did not come with the ILS.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 AM

I donít think that any of the new springers have the ils anymore.

I have an all SS 9mm RO Target that is one of the best shooting guns I own, quite frankly though it was a real pos to start with and took a bit to get it right but now is one of my favís. I believe that Springfield has really stepped up their quality and is making really good guns again.

As far as the rear sight goes you might check with their customer service to see if theyíll swap the adjustable out for a fixed,they seem to be very accommodating.

The wesson pm9 I have looked at and seems to be a really fine piece but itís quite a bit more $$ over your budget.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:44 PM

If you want to test the waters, I have a RIA that is surprisingly reliable and accurate for half of the amount you stated. Save the money and buy ammo.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 PM

Avoid Springfield. I've had too many of their guns that didn't work and couldn't be fixed by the factory.

Have you tried S&W?

Adjustable sights:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...1-pro-series-1

Fixed sights:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...1-pro-series-0
Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 PM

new 1011

Take a look at the Fusion website. Several stock models are priced below your max. And all steel. Awesome accuracy.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:56 PM

Don't overlook Colt & Kimber.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 PM

Save a little more. You are in the used Dan Wesson range, a far superior pistol for the price.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:42 AM

Kimber, Remington and I think S&W all have firing pin safety's.

Ruger doesn't have any full sized 9mm listed.

RIA looks interesting. I have looked them up and they seem to get good reviews with the major complaint being that they are low cost. Not real sure why being low cost is a bad thing, if they are good quality, but apparently some think it is a negative.

Colt does have one or two models that fit my budget.

Fusion looks like it has some really good options.

At this point I am looking at RIA, Fusion, Colt and Springfield. I am not seeing anything else that has a full size 9mm 1911 listed that does not have a firing pin safety. Out of these, Fusion is the one that I am least familiar with and will have to look into them a bit.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Speaking of Colt, look at the competition series. Has what you are looking for at a nice price point.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwayne View Post
If you want to test the waters, I have a RIA that is surprisingly reliable and accurate for half of the amount you stated. Save the money and buy ammo.
I have one of those .22 TCM/ 9MM Combos and it certainly doesn't FEEL cheap. I like it. I have only shot it in 9mm and maybe have about 100 rounds through it. The ambidextrous safety isn't my favorite- I found that my right index finger would slowly creep it up. Not sure if they're all like that. That one is WAY too easy to pus up while my Springfield is almost impossible without using both thumbs. Go figure.
Now may not be the time to get a good deal on anything new, though.

Last edited by Deyomatic; 03-23-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Avoid Springfield. I've had too many of their guns that didn't work and couldn't be fixed by the factory.

Have you tried S&W?

Adjustable sights:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...1-pro-series-1

Fixed sights:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...1-pro-series-0
Huh? Look, I prefer Wilson and DW but all the Springers I have shot or own function without a flaw. Sorry, but I don't share your opinion. I would think a 9mm Loaded would be a nice option. My favorite full frame 1911 9mm is my Wilson Hackathorn. I think that would be over budget.

Last edited by SteedGun; 03-23-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 PM

You can still find a new STI Trojan, or a lightly used one in that price range. Before STI discontinued the single stacks, this was the go to for competition shooters. I had two. Parted with one, but will probably never sell the other one. My widow will have to deal with that.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 AM

Buy a Colt in Super .38 - and add a 9MM Barrel - best of both worlds, versatility, and you can add 9x23 later. Colts hold their value and are worth upgrading. Resale is much easier than a Dan Wesson or even a Springfield. And I like Fusion parts, but who the heck ever heard of them??

As regards the higher end guns, they cost twice as much while not performing differently enough (if any better at all in overall performance) for the average end user - waste of money better spent on ammo, training, magazines, good carry leather, etc. If you've got the money and if "Status" means something to you it's your money - but don't kid yourself - the premium priced brands will not get you through the night a single bit better than a new Colt. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 AM

The Colt Competition Series is in 9mm and MSRPs at $999 on Colt's website. That means one should be able to find one for less.

https://www.colt.com/series/COMPETITION_SERIES

I actually prefer fully adjustable sights on my all steel 5 inch 1911s as they are range guns in the form of small groups at 25 and 50 yards. For carry I use LW Commander size pistols these days in 45ACP. Anyway in 2017 I did get a 9mm GCNM. It is under my 2015 in 45ACP. The fit and finish on the Colt is very nice by the way.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 AM

Right now I am thinking that it is between RIA, Colt and Fusion.

As much As I do like Springfield, they just do not seem to have what I am looking for right now. The closest they have still has adjustable rear sights, which I believe are Bomar cuts. While I can get a fixed rear sight for this cut, I would prefer to have a standard Novak cut.

RIA looks good. While they do not seem to have the same fit and finish as the others do, they seem to have a reputation for reliability and get good reviews. For their price point, they look like they are hard to beat.

Fusion has pretty much exactly what I am looking for in their Freedom Series. In addition to that, they seem to have a very good reputation for their custom guns. They also have a lifetime warrantee. The more I look into them, the more I like what I see.

Colt is, well they are Colt. They seem to be the one that so many people want. And, as already mentioned, they do have what I am looking for in their Competition line. I especially like the Competition SS in 9mm. The problem I have with Colt is that their quality has not always been consistent. They have had periods of time where their quality just has not been there, although I understand that their quality right now is as good as it has ever been.

I have a feeling that if it comes down to Fusion vs Colt, it will probably be whichever is easier to get. If it comes down to price, RIA wins that one hands down. Over the next couple of months I will need to look around and see if I can actually get a hands-on look at any of these.

Thanks again for all of your feedback.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Black Jack, if you've narrowed it to those three choices, I'd pick Colt. Let us know your choice.
Good shooting!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Black Jack,, at your price point, I would be inclined to pick the Colt Competition,, probably in stainless.
Whatever you end-up choosing, should you ever entertain thoughts of doing any up-grade work on the pistol, you'll be ahead of the game if you start out with a pistol that already has a dovetailed front sight, and/or Novak sight cuts.