EDC X9 was to be my first Wilson Combat.....I couldn't wait for it. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 09:17 PM

EDC X9 was to be my first Wilson Combat.....I couldn't wait for it.

Beginning of the month I placed my order for:

I also wanted to have something for nightstand use vs the trusty single stack that's been taking care of that duty.

Decided to get something WC-ish yet fit the bill perfectly for what I wanted for nightstand use.

The fact that it has my favorite black cherry grips is shear coincidence....

I'm very pleased with the frame's ability to anchor in hand once paws grip the weapon.

Shortly after getting home with it.....okay, immediately after getting home with it I broke it out and was getting a feel for the controls and grinning over the smoothness of the trigger (I think they put some extra smoove in it, too ) there was a knock at the door and Mr Brown Truck Santa was rolling away after leaving a package from Beretta....four 17-rounders. Wish they had the same slick finish as the mags that came with the Brig Tac (sand resistant ?).

This one is the first.....my goal is to add more over time.

I want to get it to the range....hopefully tomorrow.

Scratched my WC itch temporarily as I wait for that EDC X9 and the leather that's being made for it.

I have some fun reading to enjoy as work is going to be done from home the next couple weeks, too.

Thanks for reading the enthusiastically goofy post from a guy who is looking forward to brighter days ahead for our country and for our freedoms to enjoy the shooting sports, but more importantly to protect our loved ones and ourselves.

Stay safe, friends.

Stay healthy.

Let's get through this.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:41 PM

Great write up! Looking forward to your thoughts after some trigger time.

Langdon Tactical offers Beretta factory mags with and without various finishes including NP3, sand resistant and a 17 rounder with a special PVD coating. I have a few of the compact mags with NP3 finish from them and they are very well done.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Very nice gun and enjoyed reading the write-up. I have both the Brig-Tac and Cent-Tac from Wilson, and both are very nice guns - I often use them for my classes and buddy shoots when we get together to shoot, and they always get compliments on the finish and triggers. Enjoyed your pictures as well, nice reading material, although I don't think it will take you two weeks to finish reading it. You are going to be even more pleased when you get that pistol to the range for some trigger time.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 07:59 AM

Looking forward to your range report. I am sure you will be pleased.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-21-2020, 08:01 AM

Congratulations on scratching those itches! I share your impatience once I decide “I need something”...

Thanks for sharing and the pics. Now go get some dirty ones
Old 03-21-2020, 08:12 AM

Thank you gentlemen.

This gun really feels great in hand. My hand is immediately comfortable and an imperceptible squeeze is all it takes to get to "shooting grip" pressure....and in doing so there is no sight movement. This is very encouraging. Seems very natural....for lack of a more descriptive term. (All this extensive experience has been gleaned from the recliner on a couple dry fire sessions, lol. Lets see how it runs with a few hundred rounds on a range session. I'm confident that I'll be very pleased).

It's a handful, too. Even empty it seems to defy the stated spec weights listed for the gun. I can very easily see how one would assume it's a steel-framed pistol. Slapping on this weapon light and a full magazine and a very nice heft is obtained. This heft is appreciated for my intended primary purpose for this 'un.

My son is hunkering down with us at home since his college campus is closed. He saw the box and asked "New toys, Dad ?". He did the obligatory mag removal, slide rack, empty check...etc. Then he dry fired it and grinned. Even my young liberal-leaning college kid had to appreciate the feels of well designed gun. Had my old arse grinning, too.

He asked if I'd shot it yet. "Nope, going to the range soon....wanna tag along?". "Sure....just don't want to go early in the morning". Funny.....my boy is growing up....but still not a morning person. No worries over his political leanings, either. He's a junior with one more year left before he's out in the workforce full time. The barrage of liberal spew he's heard from professors over the last few years will fade.....he'll pay his own bills, taxes and all. He'll become a conservative very, very quickly.

Last edited by DubfromGa; 03-21-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Your impatience is a virtue.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM

I just don't see how you guys can do it. I just had to go through one of the toughest weeks I have ever been through in my life. And that was for waiting on a purchase I made off of GunBroker. Not sure how I would do waiting for one to be built.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:13 PM

I have a EDC X9 on order as well and a WC 92G Centurion Tactical that I used for my LEOSA quals last fall.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS1911 View Post
I just don't see how you guys can do it. I just had to go through one of the toughest weeks I have ever been through in my life. And that was for waiting on a purchase I made off of GunBroker. Not sure how I would do waiting for one to be built.
Easy

When you want something to be just as you want it and not just something off the shelf or the way someone else envisions it then the little time you wait is more than worth it. Instant gratification is more easily worn off if what your getting isn't exactly the way you want it.

Last edited by Dddrees; 03-21-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:38 PM

I ordered and got my EDC XL last Fall. Great gun! That was my second WC. The first I got a few years ago. A CQB full size .45. Also a great gun.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Dddrees, I know you're right. I guess the only way for me to find out just how to cope with the wait is to figure out exactly what I want. Oh the pain the pain of it all. The OP certainly does have one beautiful piece that's for sure.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dddrees, I know you're right. I guess the only way for me to find out just how to cope with the wait is to figure out exactly what I want. Oh the pain the pain of it all. The OP certainly does have one beautiful piece that's for sure.
One way to get it in perspective (the wait) is to read the sticky on Army Chief's Wisdom at the top of this sub-forum. He made an eloquent post about how to put that wait in perspective and that post was copied into that sticky thread - specifically post #24 on page 1.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 03-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Post #24 is right on in my opinion. Taking into consideration that Im really just a rookie in all of this, I'm trying to understand all I can about each of the three 1911's I now own. Thanks for the heads up on that post. Some deap reading in that whole topic. Wish I was around when the Chief was here.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Post #24 is right on in my opinion. Taking into consideration that Im really just a rookie in all of this, I'm trying to understand all I can about each of the three 1911's I now own. Thanks for the heads up on that post. Some deap reading in that whole topic. Wish I was around when the Chief was here.
I agree. I missed out on getting to know him when he was here. His postings still ring true.

Have that very thread on my reading list tonight when I go to bed....especially if my wife has another chic-flick on the television.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 AM

Nice post and nice guns. Luckily when I decided I wanted one I found one in stock In the configuration I would have ordered. I am very impatient. It is killing me waiting on a Shiloh Sharps right now.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hint...... Don't order a Randall knife.....
Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 AM

Dub, have you been able to get out and shoot your new acquisition?

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM

TRSOtto, thanks for that heads up. I'm not in the market for a knife at the moment but I will keep that hint in memory.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Dub, have you been able to get out and shoot your new acquisition?
No sir.....I haven't.

It's been a delayed process that's driving me nuts.

Between wrapping things up at work and taking care of some medical issues with my wife I've not been. I've been staying at home and doing the "social avoidance" stuff. I'm thinking of a quick ride down a dirt road and setting up a makeshift range and blasting off a couple boxes of ammo, though....same way I used to do it as a kid.

The gun feels great in hand and even better with the light attached. Super heft that doesn't mesh with the spec weights listed. I love the feel of the gun. It should shoot even the hotter 9mm loads like a peach.

I bought a new DW Valkyrie that I picked up the same day as this M92. Both are screaming for some range time, I assure you.

We are heading to the hospital now for what should be a scheduled visit with her oncologist....however, I'm certain we will run into delays just gaining access to his office. I hate to have her out and exposed to any of this virus mess.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:09 AM

This is a nice reminder to see when I get on there and look at future stuff....

Old 04-23-2020, 08:35 PM

Found out yesterday that my EDC X9 is moving to the "kitted" stage.

I'm not sure how long this will take....but I'm hoping the leather for it shows up prior.

Getting mighty excited. Waiting around has been tough.