Panic buying - Page 10 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM

A guy at the grocery store said that the Charmin bears are probably wiping their butts with dollar bills now.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:12 PM

True story......

Our shop planned ahead. It being an election year, we stocked up on ammo. Pallets and pallets of 9mm, .45's and .22's. As such.....the local Cabela's shelves are empty and they send everyone to as. As does every other shop in town. So in order to spread the wealth, we are limiting folks to 5 boxes of ammo per caliber. All of our customers understand and everyone has been great. And now the good part.

Lots of noobs.....lots of first time gun buyers. A guy and his girlfriend walk in and they immediately split up. The guy walks over to me and asks where the 9mm is. I point to it and he asks if there's a limit. I tell him yes, 5 boxes per caliber. About 5 minutes later this guy comes up to the register where I am, plops down 5 boxes of Hornady ,9mm 115 gr fmj bullets. Not ammo. Bullets. So I ring him up. 2 minutes later, his girlfriend comes to the register with the same thing....5 boxes of bullets. Fast forward about an hour. The guy and his girlfriend come back and tell me that I sold them the wrong thing....yes, that I SOLD THEM the wrong thing......cause the bullets I sold them 'didn't have no powder".
Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
True story......

Our shop planned ahead. It being an election year, we stocked up on ammo. Pallets and pallets of 9mm, .45's and .22's. As such.....the local Cabela's shelves are empty and they send everyone to as. As does every other shop in town. So in order to spread the wealth, we are limiting folks to 5 boxes of ammo per caliber. All of our customers understand and everyone has been great. And now the good part.

Lots of noobs.....lots of first time gun buyers. A guy and his girlfriend walk in and they immediately split up. The guy walks over to me and asks where the 9mm is. I point to it and he asks if there's a limit. I tell him yes, 5 boxes per caliber. About 5 minutes later this guy comes up to the register where I am, plops down 5 boxes of Hornady ,9mm 115 gr fmj bullets. Not ammo. Bullets. So I ring him up. 2 minutes later, his girlfriend comes to the register with the same thing....5 boxes of bullets. Fast forward about an hour. The guy and his girlfriend come back and tell me that I sold them the wrong thing....yes, that I SOLD THEM the wrong thing......cause the bullets I sold them 'didn't have no powder".
Nice going.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Did you tell them "No Returns"?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 PM

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POB View Post
Believe it or not I pulled out 12,500 out of my local Chase bank just over a month ago. Took pics of the cash.
Why would we not believe that. I had $67,000 in cash in my freezer during my divorce. I ended up finding a private security vault company to stash it.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Did you tell them "No Returns"?
Nah. I took em back. No need to let 10 boxes of bullets go to waste. And by that time we had already sold out of the 9mm ammo we had put out for the day. So I gave him his money back and he went home empty handed.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:36 PM

It is people like this.

Quote:
True story......

That just really make you wonder. How they even survive over time. I am guessing that they thought that they were making a really shrewd move with this maneuver.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
That just really make you wonder. How they even survive over time. I am guessing that they thought that they were making a really shrewd move with this maneuver.
Oh yeah. I'm sure they bragged to their friends that they just scored 10 boxes of 9mm ammo.

Constitutional rights aside....those people and many others....simply have no effing business owning a gun.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
True story......

Who wants to bet they bought them as an investment, w/ the plan to resell them at-profit. Idiots.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-20-2020, 11:01 PM

So I ventured to...

...the big city of Del Rio, Texas today. About 35 miles down the road with a stop at our local DG before heading there. Had to get some things I can't get locally or prefer to get in DR. Just in case I carried my San Antonio gun, but without the 21 along in a bag that goes for overnights. That's the Glock 30s with 10 round mag and a G21 mag clipped in the left pocket.

Other than one dumbazz driver coming out of the parking lot onto the highway at Walmart it was pretty uneventful. I went to HEB then to Walmart with a stop at the shop I used to work at in between. There were changes of course and certain shelves were bare, but it was pretty friendly and casual among folks.

While at Walmart apparently they had brought out a few pallets of water. I saw a lot of folks leaving with flats of bottled water and in the back some people getting some, but all being rather pleasant. Workers were stocking various items all over the store. Both entrances were open. At HEB there was an old guard out front just directing people to the main entry where a couple of workers were spraying down carts in the line.

At both Milk, TP/Paper Towels/Tissues, eggs, most fresh meats, a lot of the canned meats, beans and rice, were all bare, but a good bit of bacon, kielbasa types and other sausages, lunch meats, cheese, and bread (HEB only) were available. Just not the usual variety of bread.

While some of the things people had cleaned the shelves of were perplexing it was all pretty relaxed. Chatted with a few folks I knew as old customers, some folks just looking for the same stuff. Kind of an interesting little jaunt.

The manager of our local Dollar General was saying that a lot of the problem in our little one stoplight town is that people come from Del Rio, Eagle Pass, and Uvalde, to raid ours. They've even had some issues of people from San Antonio, 2.5 hours away making the run stopping at all the DGs and similar stores in each small town to load up. Fortunately our local DG and grocery just kind of stock at a reasonable pace and don't just rush to move the just received stock out. Choosing to ease it out in parts so more people get an opportunity as they come in instead of everyone mobbing the store when the truck arrives.

Starting to love this little whistle stop even more. And despite more shortages since they have more people too, Del Rio is rolling along pretty friendly. Actually, they seem more friendly and relaxed that when I lived and worked there.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejjjaaaa View Post
start practicing with bayonet ...
You should keep at least a ten foot distance from anyone and definatly don’t come into contact with any bodily fluids.

Do like Ma Bell “Reach out and touch someone” use long distance.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:49 PM

Del Rrio Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
...the big city of Del Rio, Texas today. About 35 miles down the road with a stop at our local DG before heading there. Had to get some things I can't get locally or prefer to get in DR. Just in case I carried my San Antonio gun, but without the 21 along in a bag that goes for overnights. That's the Glock 30s with 10 round mag and a G21 mag clipped in the left pocket.

Other than one dumbazz driver coming out of the parking lot onto the highway at Walmart it was pretty uneventful. I went to HEB then to Walmart with a stop at the shop I used to work at in between. There were changes of course and certain shelves were bare, but it was pretty friendly and casual among folks.

While at Walmart apparently they had brought out a few pallets of water. I saw a lot of folks leaving with flats of bottled water and in the back some people getting some, but all being rather pleasant. Workers were stocking various items all over the store. Both entrances were open. At HEB there was an old guard out front just directing people to the main entry where a couple of workers were spraying down carts in the line.

At both Milk, TP/Paper Towels/Tissues, eggs, most fresh meats, a lot of the canned meats, beans and rice, were all bare, but a good bit of bacon, kielbasa types and other sausages, lunch meats, cheese, and bread (HEB only) were available. Just not the usual variety of bread.

While some of the things people had cleaned the shelves of were perplexing it was all pretty relaxed. Chatted with a few folks I knew as old customers, some folks just looking for the same stuff. Kind of an interesting little jaunt.

The manager of our local Dollar General was saying that a lot of the problem in our little one stoplight town is that people come from Del Rio, Eagle Pass, and Uvalde, to raid ours. They've even had some issues of people from San Antonio, 2.5 hours away making the run stopping at all the DGs and similar stores in each small town to load up. Fortunately our local DG and grocery just kind of stock at a reasonable pace and don't just rush to move the just received stock out. Choosing to ease it out in parts so more people get an opportunity as they come in instead of everyone mobbing the store when the truck arrives.

Starting to love this little whistle stop even more. And despite more shortages since they have more people too, Del Rio is rolling along pretty friendly. Actually, they seem more friendly and relaxed that when I lived and worked there.
I remember back in the day working for a Boatswain that sailed on the overseas Alaska. He hailed from Del Rio TX. He was about the most disagreeable person that you would ever want to meet. Back in those days when I was sailing in the foc'scle, My choices were limited. But Maritime overseas tankers despite being more or less slave ships. They paid good money.

But working for Frank Cottongin, the boatswain on the Overseas Alaska. A self proclaimed pure blooded Cherokee indian. This was a lesson in many things. I am glad that I lived through it. In retrospect it gave me strength as adversity so often does.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Who wants to bet they bought them as an investment, w/ the plan to resell them at-profit. Idiots.
More than likely. Non-enthusiasts who simply buy a gun for protection usually don't plan to practice with it, and they'll buy just one, maybe two boxes of ammo for it at the most.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I remember back in the day working for a Boatswain that sailed on the overseas Alaska. He hailed from Del Rio TX. He was about the most disagreeable person that you would ever want to meet...

...This was a lesson in many things. I am glad that I lived through it. In retrospect it gave me strength as adversity so often does.
I've had to endure a few bosses like that. It brought home the truth of that old definition of stress. "Stress is when the mind overrides the bodies desire to choke the living S$%T out of someone who truly deserves it."

Quote:
More than likely. Non-enthusiasts who simply buy a gun for protection usually don't plan to practice with it, and they'll buy just one, maybe two boxes of ammo for it at the most.
One thing I saw was a lot of folks who bought a gun during or just before a panic because they were worried they would not be able to get one later. Things settle down for a year or more and some of them start bringing them in and selling them for what they can get. "I bought it, but never, or hardly ever shot it. It's just laying around and I'm not using it so I might as well sell it and use the money for something else."

I bought more than a few guns for the shop from folks like that. I tried to tell them that it wasn't eating anything if they weren't shooting it and it wasn't taking up much space. Yet they were set on getting rid of it for whatever they could get. It would not surprise me if some of those same people are or will be scrambling to buy a gun again now. Then the same thing will happen later.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 03-21-2020, 07:40 AM

Since my wife and I are definitely part of the "at risk" population, I am only getting out for an occasionally run to the grocery store. Being part of the older generation and having lived through many hurricanes, 9-11, etc. this sort of thing did not catch me by surprise.

Now days I find this as the perfect opportunity to sort and clean brass and spend quality time with big Blue. The only question that I ponder is am I really running low on primers if I am transferring them to load rounds? The winter is when I spend my time reloading and recently found myself down to a few hundred primers. After due consideration, I decided what the heck, and picked up another 5K. After all what else do I have to do with my spare time?

Take care and stay safe, this too shall pass.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah. I'm sure they bragged to their friends that they just scored 10 boxes of 9mm ammo.

Constitutional rights aside....those people and many others....simply have no effing business owning a gun.
That’s the bad part....
They were obviously trying to feed their gun and have no clue. I imagine it’s fairly common for people to just see “9mm Luger” and not pay any attention to brand, grain, projectile type or case material.
That is why WWB and MegaPacks sell so well.
But hey, at least they are on our side......they won’t be embarrassed by that same mistake again.......or will they??
Old 03-21-2020, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
One thing I saw was a lot of folks who bought a gun during or just before a panic because they were worried they would not be able to get one later. Things settle down for a year or more and some of them start bringing them in and selling them for what they can get. "I bought it, but never, or hardly ever shot it. It's just laying around and I'm not using it so I might as well sell it and use the money for something else."

I bought more than a few guns for the shop from folks like that. I tried to tell them that it wasn't eating anything if they weren't shooting it and it wasn't taking up much space. Yet they were set on getting rid of it for whatever they could get. It would not surprise me if some of those same people are or will be scrambling to buy a gun again now. Then the same thing will happen later.
I think we have all bought used guns that showed little or no evidence of ever having been fired. In fact there seem to be so many out there that they almost appear the norm rather than the exception. I don't know why so many people buy a gun then later sell it without having ever shot it, but I'm not complaining. It's like walking into a car dealership with a lot full of clean, five year-old cars with just a couple hundred miles on the odometer. If somebody else wants to take the depreciation I'm all for it.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Since the first of the year, I've bought cases of 12 guage 00 buck and slugs, .223/5.56, 10MM, .45 and .308 to add. Us here in WA were thinking we could be like CA and have on-line ammo sales banned...maybe next year the crap will hit us.

I also got the little lady, who's new into shooting with her SA Hellcat several cases of 9mm FMJ for the range and luckily I was able to grab several boxes of Federal 9mm 124gr HST's for her.

Now to just lay low and see what happens.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I think we have all bought used guns that showed little or no evidence of ever having been fired. In fact there seem to be so many out there that they almost appear the norm rather than the exception. I don't know why so many people buy a gun then later sell it without having ever shot it, but I'm not complaining. It's like walking into a car dealership with a lot full of clean, five year-old cars with just a couple hundred miles on the odometer. If somebody else wants to take the depreciation I'm all for it.
Well over half of the guns that I have were purchased used...barely used. There isn’t one of them that ever had a problem, they were truly as new. Their loss was my gain.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
True story......

I have come across an idiot or two involving guns or ammo but I bet those two really thought they had a good deal. I can see them opening a box and with a perplexed look saying "somebody has already used these bullets".
Old 03-21-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
True story
The only good thing about our local Gander Mountain did, before they went belly up, was that they would inform you of what you were purchasing as far as Ammo and reloading supplies went : “ You know that you are buying .22 short cartridges”, or “you know that you are buying 230 gr FMJ bullets and not loaded ammunition” and then point to and read the no refunds policy on ammunition and components.

But of course they would have someone try and return items almost daily during the couple of past Ammo shortages.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:31 PM

I for one happen to think that there is a silver lining in all of this that is good for America. I’ll call it a learning experience. For those who have been fortunate enough not to have been through this sort of thing before, they are now learning two important lessons.

One is that those who have guns need to maintain an adequate supply of ammunition on hand at all times. Otherwise if you want it or need it, it may not be there. As an old adage goes, it is better to have it and not need it than……

The second lesson is that ultimately, we are responsible for our own personal safety. This includes protecting ourselves and our love ones. If this results in more people deciding to arm themselves, this is a good thing. For in my view this bolsters support of the Second Amendment that is beneficial to all of us.

Lastly let me say that when we came into this world we were all a blank slate and now we are a collection of life’s experiences/learnings. Therefore, the more we can help educate others, the more it protects our own freedom.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Nah. I took em back. No need to let 10 boxes of bullets go to waste. And by that time we had already sold out of the 9mm ammo we had put out for the day. So I gave him his money back and he went home empty handed.
Oh come oh fellas...

... those young folks knew exactly what they wanted, boolits that have self-contained powder inside them as depicted below. They aren't stoopid, they got themselves a proper firearms safety training from the "Everytown" organization thanks to Mr. Bloomturds $millions providing firearms education for millions of Americans:

Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM

While on the subject of Everytown, what's with their dumb commercial?

Little girl is farting around in the dresser where the family gun is locked up, and then her Dad does some kind of play acting where he pretends she shot him.

Yeah, that commercial is supposed to make a point somehow?

And the buzzed driving one where the wienie looking Millennial is looking for a place to pee in his fruity friends back yard, and he grabs a bottle of water and than says "and I'll take the rifle?"

*** is that supposed to infer? That rifles are dangerous somehow? No ****, Sherlock.

Think there's an agenda there? It's almost pitiful how stupid the commercials are though.